So, we could not get an ambulance.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, we could not get an ambulance.....

I live in western MA. My husband’s cardiologist is in Boston. He had an incident and local ambulance took him to local hospital...(Baystate).
    After 24 hours in emergency room he essentially left. This is the hospital that did a quadruple bypass a few years ago. All the bypasses failed within 2 weeks. And they never told him. Just treated him like an old man who was complaining too much.

Anyway, the ambulance took him there the other night. The next day he came home. His Boston cardiologist told him to come right away and they would try putting in a stent. Great! BUT that is when the nightmare began. Not one ambulance would take him from home to Boston hospital. Not one. Even when we said we would pay the bill ourselves. Some one told us that if he was at an urgent care clinic that they would call an ambulance. Big fiasco. They did an ekg...said he was having a heart problem and that he had to go back to Baystate, spend the day being evaluated and maybe they would call an ambulance to take him to Boston.

John left the clinic with hysterical staff telling him he could die due to his refusal to go to the local hospital which had almost killed him several times. We came home. A friend came, drove John to Boston in record time and he is there now. He has a team of doctors analyzing his situation. He is alive and in the hands of competent doctors. But, can you imagine, no way we could get any ambulance to transport him. That drama almost killed us both!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 09-24-2020, 01:01 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Linda, I can not imagine. Bless you, your friend that did the driving and John. I’m glad he is in good hands now.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

((((((Linda & John)))))) ~

That is a nightmare! Going to ER then to an Urgent Care Clinic added more stress, which John certainly did not need. What reason did the ambulance companies give for not transporting him to Boston? Too far out of their service area?

I give thanks for your caring friend, who transported John to Boston. Now he is where he needs to be and receiving the care he requires.

My prayers are with you both that John only needs a stent and nothing more. Please update us, when you can. I'm thinking of you, Linda, as I know the anxiety of having your husband in the hospital, when you cannot be there with him.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Linda, I am sorry John is back in the hospital, but since he needed to go at least it sounds like he is where he needs to be. Sorry you two are having to go through so much.

What a fiasco.
        Virginia

Comment

Linda, I hope John won't be damaged by all of the stress and uncertainty. Seems very odd that you weren't able to get an ambulance in your hour of need. I thought ambulances were supposed to take you to the hospital of YOUR choice but I have heard of situations where they take the person to whatever the nearest hospital is. I haven't heard of being unable to get any ambulance though maybe there was too much distance involved--?

At least a friend was available to come to your rescue. We should be very thankful for friends like that.

I hope you'll get good news about John soon from the doctors in Boston.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

What a freaking nightmare.

Same issue here : The local hospital received two F’s from Medicare. The ambulance will only take you there. However, once you are there, you can insist on a transfer to the city hospital 30 minutes away. Or air evac to ORlando if necessary. They will assess and stabilize you if necessary and then take you.

But, I can imagine the same would happen to us as you and John. This is just awful, even if the outcome is good, it is appalling how you were handled. Or manhandled.

After it is all done and John is safely home, are you going to look into this to plan in cas it occurs again?

Comment

Linda, how is John?You must be so worried. I know you have a market tomorrow, maybe you are already in bed.

You and John are in my prayers,
              ANN

Comment

Yes, Linda--I hope you can check in though you must be overloaded. I hope that somehow the way is being made smooth for you.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

John is home...they decided it was too unwise to do the procedure they were contemplating. They did rearrange his meds and hope they will help. He is in good spirits and has energy so the whole process may have helped restore fluids and minerals etc. so maybe he is back in balance.

Thanks for responses....they help to have a base of support when life is lonely.
                  Linda
                  Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

We are happy to hear he is stable, improved even and home with you, Linda.

ANN & Peter

Comment

Sometimes not doing something is the best way. I'm glad things are stable. Both of you are probably glad to be back home.

Comment

Oh Laz, I am so glad John is home with you. Worried about you two, was I.

Comment

Laz, what a horrifying situation! I'm sorry you and John had to go through that.
                          s
                          Jendie
                          I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

Comment

Originally posted by jendie View Post
                            Laz, what a horrifying situation! I'm sorry you and John had to go through that.

Thanks. The decision we made to hire a neighbor to drive John to Boston saved his life. He is much better and that neighbor is driving him back and forth to Beth Israel in Boston . He has been called several times by the team members to check on him. He has already been back once to see the team and will be there next week again. Real medical help. Real doctors. Real compassion and respect for the person he is.
                            Linda~~~~

Comment

Working...
                            X