Buying grab bars— help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying grab bars— help?

I am ordering bathroom fixtures. I want horizontal grab bars next to toilet and in the shower.

They come in sizes of 12”, 24”, 30”, 36” and 42”

Some determinant would be the size of the wall space. But for the toilet, do you recommend at least a 24” or preferably 30”? Or even longer? 12” seems way to short, so that’s def out

In the shower, what o you recommend. Planning for now and in future. Now, I walk in and sit on a shower chair to shower, with some brief standing as needed. I think a grab bar would be nice to walk in and out, but really unsure.

Comments?

Oh, are there other non bathroom places you recommend grab bars?

:) I have a 42 in the shower but mine is parallel to the floor. I also have a 12 in the front of the shower I use both to get up from the shower stool. Getting in and out I have a 24 on the right hand wall I hold onto to get into the shower.

My toilet is next to the shower and I usually leave a towel on the top of it and sit when I get out to finish drying. Jeanie :)

Comment

Thanks Jeanie!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
        I am ordering bathroom fixtures. I want horizontal grab bars next to toilet and in the shower.

They come in sizes of 12”, 24”, 30”, 36” and 42”

Some determinant would be the size of the wall space. But for the toilet, do you recommend at least a 24” or preferably 30”? Or even longer? 12” seems way to short, so that’s def out

In the shower, what o you recommend. Planning for now and in future. Now, I walk in and sit on a shower chair to shower, with some brief standing as needed. I think a grab bar would be nice to walk in and out, but really unsure.

Comments?

Oh, are there other non bathroom places you recommend grab bars?
        I have one on wall beside the toilet. I have it on a diagonal so wherever I am I can grab it. It is 36”. You need to sit on toilet and watch where your hand goes when you get up. I have no wall on the other side and have a very strong bar that is attached to the wall and which I can pull down when using the toilet and push back up flat against the wall. We put it so it comes down at waist level and is also 3 ‘ or maybe even 4’ from the wall. So I have grab bars on both sides of the toilet.

In my shower I have a 4’ bar that I put in vertically. Not sure what I was thinking but it works well for me. Good luck!
        Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Thanks Laz :)

Comment

I thought I posted a photo of my bathroom's grab bars a while back but I can't find it.

This building was built about 15 years ago and supposedly they knew what they were doing when they put in the grab bars. However, at least two residents here have required bathtubs with cutaway doors, and others may have needed other modifications that I haven't known about.

The wall is to the left of the toilet, and on that wall are two parallel grab bars, each 36" long. One is 34" from the floor, the other is 48", and one extends 14" beyond the other.

In the bathtub/shower there is an L-shaped grab bar below the shower head. The vertical part is 31", and the horizontal one is 15", and it is 28" from the bathtub floor.

The bathtub floor, oddly, is not level with the floor of the bathroom, and so a person has to step over the bathtub rim and down below the level she/he is standing at in the tub/shower. This has been almost impossible for me, but I put in a small grab-bar that attaches to the bathtub rim, and that has helped.

There is also a 36" grab bar running parallel to the bathtub on its inner wall, also 28" from the tub/shower floor.

What they put in here is probably the standard grab bars that many people might find useful. People with different needs would want to replace them or supplement them, and they can be very individualized.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Thanks agate! And everyone. Going to look at House this weekend armed with the comments , to decide

Comment

Working...
              X