Physicians rank these as top hospitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physicians rank these as top hospitals

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

They do s paragraph on MS. Page two

This is really good information to have.

Interesting that these were doctors' opinions and that when asked about what criteria were important to them in making their evaluations, only 6% chose "low error rate" and only 3% chose "infection rates."

If patients had been surveyed, my guess is that those would be far more important. They would be to me, anyway.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

The physicians' choices don't surprise me, since they're all highly ranked hospitals. Where do patients go for top care, if they don't live near and cannot travel to Johns Hopkins, or Mayo, or Cleveland, or Mass General? Jim's former oncologist suggested that he go to UCLA for oncology. That is absolutely impossible for him to do. Fortunately, he has another oncologist now, who is willing to treat him and actually cares about him.

Speaking of cancer, I was disappointed, when I clicked on the link for the top hospitals for cancer at the end of the article, and I got this page:

Apparently, I have to register in order to find out the best cancer hospitals. I'd venture to guess that cancer is the most common or prevalent disease among the other conditions, for which hospitals were listed. Why couldn't the best cancer hospitals just be included in the article? A clever way to increase their membership or registrants?

I didn't register, because I suspect that the top cancer hospitals will not be located in a reasonable proximity to us. Thankfully, we feel that Jim is getting top notch care with his new doctor, and we've trusted this hospital with our children for nearly 30 years. The hospital has a newly constructed tower, in which state of the art cancer care is provided. Jim was in for 6 days with pneumonia last year, and he said his room and the service was like a 5 star hotel, including gourmet food from the new cafeteria. With the exception of his former oncologist, every physician was fantastic.

We won't make the list, but someday, we may. This is a progressive hospital, with a Catholic mission to serve everyone with dignity, respect, and loving care. And they do.

Love & Light,

Rose
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Rose, I'm registered at Medscape and was able to get to the list of best hospitals for cancer treatment. If this link won't work for you, I'll be happy to transcribe any parts of the article you want. It's 15 pages but each page deals with a different type of cancer.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

It’s slso nice to know that there are 49 top cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute. Here is a link

In florida the only one is Moffitt in Tampa. And it’s well deserved. Mayo JAX and Cleveland Clinic in florida aren’t designated.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Thank you so much for trying. I still get the page telling me to register. I already belong to so many websites with so many different passwords, I just can't bring myself to do one more. Thank you for offering to transcribe parts for me, but I already know that none of the places listed will be near us.

Sunshine ~

Thank you too for sharing that information. Once again, none of the centers are accessible to us.

At this point, I suspect that Opdivo, the immunotherapy, which Jim has been taking throughout this year, is the last bastion of hope for him. Last year, he had 4 different chemo drugs, all purportedly targeted through biopsy analysis for his specific brand of cancer. None of them worked, and the last one probably led to metastasis to his skull, requiring 10 rounds of radiation. All of that damaged him in various ways, and he's trying to recover from that damage.

Opdivo is working. Obviously, it should have been the first choice not the last resort. But Jim's oncologist then was ... let's go with incompetent and callous. She does not reflect the hospital's commitment to patients. We've met hundreds of doctors at our hospital through the years, and we only had 2 on our list of "the worst." Now, we have 4, and she is #1. Number 2 is Jim's radiology oncologist. The other 2 treated Jonathan and are no longer allowed near his room, when he's hospitalized.

The reason why I observed that this study required registration to find out the top rated cancer hospitals was not for Jim, as we know he's got the best he can get within proximity to our home. It was a general observation for all of those people, who have cancer and, who need to register to find out the top hospitals. The other conditions were accessible without registration, and it just seems to me that the cancer hospitals should also be accessible to the public.

Prior to Jim's diagnosis, I may not have noticed this, but now I see life through a different lens.

Everyone deserves to receive the best treatment for their condition, delivered with kindness, compassion and a commitment to healing, regardless of which hospital is closest to them. But the top docs go to the top hospitals, and smaller hospitals just do whatever they can. I believe that technology should change that. The smaller hospitals can connect with the top hospitals and communicate with the top docs to improve their skills in treatment and care.

If that isn't happening now, it should be.

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Rose, if you're near Stanford, it is #8 on the lung cancer list. The other hospitals listed are probably remote from you though one is in LA--not your neck of the woods?

Yes, Medscape is very annoying about demanding registrations.

Comment

((((((agate)))))) ~

Thank you for the information. Stanford is in Northern California. We live in Southern California. Los Angeles is at least a 1 1/2 hour drive for us, and that is in good traffic, which of course, does not exist.

Our hospital is 3.5 miles from us and takes about 8 minutes to get there. Valet parking at the medical offices/cancer center and at the hospital. Jim couldn't handle anything farther away. Neither one of us has driven on a freeway for years ~ a decade or more. At our age, with our vision, our reflexes, etc., we wouldn't even dare to venture onto a freeway.

Last year, when Jim was weak, frail, and declining, our friend, John, drove him to/from appointments/infusions/tests. A couple of times, Jon's nurse drove Jim. In fact, she took him to the ER, when he had pneumonia August 2017.

Now that Jim has Dr. K and Opdivo, we are content with his care. If he has other options for treatment, we trust that Dr. K will advise Jim about those options.

Thank you again for providing me with this information.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Doctors probably evaluate hospitals in ways that might not be so important to patients. Doctors might have a high regard for the hospitals that have the major research centers, the heftiest research grants, the biggest names in the field--whereas patients would be more interested in whether they will be treated well, given the information they need in ways they can understand, not over-treated or under-treated.

A smaller, less famous hospital would be my choice too unless I had a condition that had everybody stumped.

Comment

Rose, it sounds like you are getting top quality care. I am glad for it, as I am sure you are as well.

I am also glad to hear that Opdivo is working well. I had thought you’d said that it was the CBD that shrunk his tumors? No?

Can you refresh my memory of the type of Ca Jim has. For some reason I had thought it was liver? Agates post mentioned lung?

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

I agree with you that the hospitals, which were ranked by physicians in the study, are best suited to patients with difficult diagnoses. Our hospital isn't small actually. It does offer state-of-the art technology (e.g., robotic surgery) and comprehensive care. It's also one in a consortium of 5 hospitals in our county.

Sunshine ~

Jim has non small cell lung cancer, Stage IV, diagnosed last year. His first oncologist is the worst physician at our hospital, we believe, based on her less than stellar performance in caring for Jim. She gave him Gemcitibine, which we believe caused the metastasis to his skull. She denied that chemo can cause cancer. But Jim's current oncologist, Dr. K, who is outstanding, told Jim that chemo can cause cancer, and he believes that Gemcitibine could have promoted the metastasis.

Dr. K believes that CBD and THC have contributed to the tumor reduction, and they are working in conjunction with Opdivo. Last year, Jim had one Opdivo infusion, which caused him excruciating RA pain (which his former oncologist ignored), and his tumor shrunk by one half! Dr. K was amazed by this result, and he attributed it partially to CBD and THC.

Jim's former oncologist was not really on board with CBD and THC, but she pretended to think it was okay. Dr. K suggested that Jim use cannabis, before he knew that Jim had been taking them since his diagnosis. Once Jim told him that he had been taking it, Dr. K said, "That explains a lot."

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Okay. That’s right. I had forgotten his type of cancer. Thanks for taking time to post this.

Comment

Working...
                        X