Keep on Moving Club: December 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep on Moving Club: December 2017

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

I swam 600 Yards today. Over 1/4 mile (which would be 450 Yards)

Comment

I haven't tallied up the month of November yet but the recent pedometer readings are:

11/24/17 - 1018 steps
      11/25/17 - 1028 steps
      11/26/17 - a mere 760 steps
      11/27/17 - 921 steps
      11/28/17 - 1276 steps
      11/29/17 - 1310 steps
      11/30/17 - 1117 steps

My fingers have been stiffening up (arthritis), and so I've unearthed my exercise balls and now keep them in my bedside drawer, pull them out and work them with my hands as I lie in bed--when I remember to do that, that is.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Actually, 440 yards. I know this because I'm a drag racer, and a drag strip is a quarter mile long, or 1320 feet, divided by 3 for feet in a yard, and you get 440 yards. But since you do more than I can even imagine, I'll give you the 10 yards.
        Last edited by Howie; 12-01-2017, 06:56 AM.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Not sure I follow the arithmetic, Howie, but it's early in the morning here....
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

That’s impressive once again Agate!

And Howie your math is impressive! I stand corrected!

Comment

I went surfing today with 8 other buddies, as we were celebrating birthdays. I knew the conditions would be mediocre, but its always fun to be there and be with friends.

We saw a large manta ray leap out of the ocean three times in a row, not far from the surfers. This thing is huge. We all yelled out WHOA each time, as its a stunning sight. There were plenty of sharks to be seen today as well. PRetty much it was wild kingdom.

the ocean has chilled down enough for me to wear a full neoprene suit. I worry that the cold water would trigger SPS spasms, so I stay warm to prevent it. The problem is its harder to bend legs in it. Usually, its not a big deal. But now, with the SPS and MS taking its toll, its very hard to get up on the board. SO, I rode waves lying down.

The bright sunshine and the coolness of the water on paddle out is always so pleasurable.

Its an interesting activity in that the playing field changes every time, and every 10 minutes or so. It never quite looks the same or acts the same. It’s a real balance of predictability and unpredictability.

The clean up at home is more involved with the added cold water gear. It really got to be too much, with the physicality of hosing everything down and putting it away, all on my feet. Extended standing is very hard.... and the rest of the day, I pretty much lay on the sofa. Sometimes in substantial pain. I had tried a different variety of MMJ, and it just did not do the trick.

Comment

For landlubbers like me, a photo of those manta rays, or at least I hope this is what you're referring to. Not sure how a person would behave when encountering one of these....

Last edited by agate; 12-02-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I only know how I would react - I want to see them from a distance, but no up close and personal.

BBS, you did really well, you swam with the sharks, or should I say you surfed with the sharks. Glad to hear you are still going out. You have had a big week, with going to meet government officials and surfing and swimming. Good girl.

Agate, you are doing great. Those are really good numbers.

I finally got out today. First time since Monday when I went to meditation. I went to cleaners, K-Mart, Home Depot and grocery store. Then on the way home I stopped at Wendy's drive-thru and got a baked potato and small chili. It wasn't bad. I had not done that in a long time.
                  Virginia

Comment

Nice job Virginia! That’s a lot of exercise :)

Comment

I made my pasta today, or sort of did. I cooked the ground turkey, and got my noodles out and opened the package, and turned to get my sauce out, and guess what, I don't have any.

I must have remembered seeing the jar of sauce from the last time. So, I put the cooked turkey in a large container with a snap on lid, and put it in the fridge. I then cleaned up the pots and pans, and put them away.

I will get some sauce Monday, or tomorrow, and then cook the noodles, and put everything together. I have some Compleat's dinners to hold me over until I get the sauce.

I did get some exercise out of my effort. I even broke out in a sweat before I was finished cleaning up.
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Is that T. rex or somebody else in your avatar, Howie? Are you feeding those guys as well? No wonder the money runs out. They must eat a lot.

Comment

Good job Howie! You’ve been busy :)

Comment

Howie, when you get your sauce you will be glad you got all this done. It will make it easier. Good for you, you stayed busy.
                            Virginia

Comment

My cooking experience must have worn me out because I was going to take a nap, and am JUST getting up. WOW, now that's a nap! Agate, is there anything you don't know? I see you are up on your dinosaurs!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X