OT Lazy Cooking with Cat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT Lazy Cooking with Cat!

So here we go. Nothing like a cozy cooking program to get us through a cold snowy winter...well, maybe not snowy for everyone. And surprising enough, not here in central Wisconsin yet, which is MOST unusual for mid December!

Anyway, Lazy Cooking with Cat is intended to be YOUR thread. I'll certainly toss in my easy recipes, but you should feel free to do the same. Also add in anything you might have done to simplify your activities in the kitchen (besides using the phone to call out for deliveries. I suspect we all have the local pizza place and Chinese place on speed dial! Safety tips would be good, too. (Howie, staying out of the kitchen except for a path to a refrigerator will count.)

I got around to the ham today. Already talked about cooking it; Basically throw it cut side down in a pan, throw pan in oven, 325, for 15 minutes a pound. Cooking nicely. About to scrub up a couple of sweet potatoes, cut out any bad spots (why do they seem to always have bad spots??), and toss them in the oven with the ham. I really don't like sweet potatoes with marshmallows and other sticky stuff on them...I just butter them, toss in some cumin sometimes, put them in a dish and bake them. They're plenty sweet...that's why they're called SWEET potatoes! :)

Then we have some baby carrots and tiny tomatoes for a side. Tom Cat likes those, dipped in ranch dressing. That'll be dinner here....

Leftover ham can be used for LOTS of things. I'll share some of those recipes tomorrow...when I have leftover ham..
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Most times, I don't eat enough legumes.

This is my easy, yummy go-to for a healthy protein-rich, good fiber, non-meat snack. I've tried numerous recipes, this is the best I've tasted.

Prep time: 5 minutes

Hummus

INGREDIENTS

1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
    14 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
    1-2 garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons tahini (REALLY adds flavour, but olive oil can replace if necessary)

Blend or use immersion blender to mix all ingredients well. Refrigerate when not eating.

Warm pita slices, drizzle with olive oil or on top of hummus. Spread hummus on pita...enjoy!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

A very easy dinner or lunch can be just scrambled eggs, which can be dressed up in various ways.

I'd break 2 eggs into a skillet (more eggs can of course be used), maybe add a bit of milk, stir them around and keep stirring until they're scrambled.

Then I mix in crumbled bacon bits (or for people who don't eat meat, soy-based imitation bacon bits), add some salt and freshly ground pepper, and sprinkle REAL HUNGARIAN paprika on top.

Or I chop some chives or green onions over the top.

Served with a baked or boiled potato or salad or steamed vegetable (broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots), this makes a dinner in a hurry.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

SuzE-Q, what is tahini,and where would I find it? A dear friend of mine loved the stuff and I'm always meaning to.make it, but stop at the tahini..

Agate, the scrambled eggs with ham, green peppers, onion, is one of the ways I use leftover ham. We like to sprinkle some shredded cheese on top. You can buy packages of all kinds of different cheeses all shredded these days, Swiss, cheddar,cheese blends. One bag goes a long way. And many brands, including generic, come in zip top bags, so you can pour out what you want, zip it up, and toss it in the fridge. If you're using it for cooking, it freezes well, too.

Comment

Tahini is a ground sesame/olive oil paste, refrigerated after opening, often found in middle eastern/Mediterranean section or sometimes condiment section...deli dept. will know where, depending how elaborate your grocer is...it's typically readily available though.

Sesame seeds really add tons of nutritional value to it, plus tastes yummy!

Great ideas here, thanks!
          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Avocados and guacamole have been mentioned recently. Here's a guacamole recipe, the one I've always used:

2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and mashed
            juice of 1 lime
            2 cloves of garlic, minced
            2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
            about 1/2 tsp. chili powder
            1/2 tsp. salt
            1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
            To peel the tomatoes, dip them in boiling water for 1 minute and remove immediately with a slotted spoon. The skins will come right off.
            Mix the mashed avocado with the lime juice. Blend in the garlic, tomatoes and seasonings. This will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator.

Eat as is or on crackers, tacos, fritos, whatever.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I can't emphasize enough how delicious guacamole is on any type of sandwich too....adds so much nutrition AND taste instead of mayo or other less healthy condiments!

Thanks, Joan!

Comment

Or, add it to pasta, perhaps, Howie?!

Comment

Along the line of eggs, I like to make omelets. I like to add mushrooms and cheese or almost anything you like. A slice of toast, and it's a good breakfast, or for any meal. I like using English muffins for bread these days.
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm so glad I know how to do an omelet. Omelets are a great thing to put together from ingredients you happen to have around.

Some cheeses seem to melt better than others in an omelet. I usually use cheddar--mild, medium, or sharp.

Comment

For salads, I always use parmesan. But for omelets, it's always cheddar. It melts JUST right!
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

I love string cheese (sticks of mozzarella or some other cheese). You can cut them up and just toss them into a salad.

Comment

Goat cheese is delicious in omelets or just off the spoon!

Feta is greAt in salads and omelets. We are liking the Trader Joe's one in the white and light blue plastic box. Do not get if you have trouble w dexterity. It is a bit of a puzzle.

ANN
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Rice and water (equal amounts usually, but sometimes more water is required depending on rice) with salt in rice cooker. Sprinkle chicken with turmeric, thyme, and basil. Set it in a steamer basket over the rice cooker. Cover and cook about 20(?) minutes or until rice is done. You can throw some veggies in the basket as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzE-Q View Post
                              Tahini is a ground sesame/olive oil paste, refrigerated after opening, often found in middle eastern/Mediterranean section or sometimes condiment section...deli dept. will know where, depending how elaborate your grocer is...it's typically readily available though.

Sesame seeds really add tons of nutritional value to it, plus tastes yummy!

Great ideas here, thanks!
                              I made hummus from scratch once, including the tahini. But without a food processor it was a pain, so it might be the last time.

Comment

Working...
                              X