March chitchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agate View Post
    I think that's a good idea, Sunshine. Most or all of us here have had MS for so long that we probably know things about it that others don't know and--importantly--know where to look to find out more about it.

Another thought--about keeping new people when they show up: Why not send them a Friend request? If I were new here, I might look at the Profiles of some of the regular people here, and if I always saw the same few people turning up as Friends in people's Profiles, I might get the idea that this was a very tight-knit group, and I'd hesitate to say much.

Also a Friend request lets the new person know you're willing to reach out to new people. Being someone's Friend here doesn't enable anyone to do anything special but I've found it helpful to look over my Friends here from time to time.

I wouldn't send a Friend request to someone completely new who just showed up as online. I'd wait until that person said something in a post on the MS forum. People do drop by without wanting much contact, and I assume that the ones who show up online very occasionally without posting are just passing, or maybe looking the place over. The exception to that would be a person whose user name was familiar to me.

Some people won't accept your Friend request. They may not have enabled Friend requests, either because they didn't notice that option or because they didn't want to have it.

It would be helpful too if a Google search for "neurology message boards" or "neurology support groups" would being up a link to BrainTalk but it never does.
    When I was building the SPS forum, there was an option at the bottom of the thread to put a tag on it. So, for example, I would add on the MMJ thread: Stiff Person Syndrome, Marijuana, treatment.

After doing this on thread after thread, Inoticed that increased numbers of people or bots were visiting the page.

Comment

I think you can do the tags only if you've started the thread. I don't see a way to add tags in a reply.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

A bit about fishing. A fish is a simple organism and doesn't have the nerves or brain required to feel pain. I've fished some, and the summer I lived at the beach, what I caught was my meal. Remember, Jesus was a fisherman, and if it was wrong, he wouldn't have done it.

And that's my sermon for the day. Sam will pass the collection plate.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Sam isn't supposed to be helping herself to anything in the collection plate though....

Fish may not have feelings but their eyes sometimes look sad and shocked as they're lying there among the other fish that have been caught. And I seem to remember that they bleed.

If it bleeds, it leads....

Also, there's this--"It's Official: Fish Feel Pain" from Smithsonian (2018):

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

So they MAY feel pain, but if we stopped fishing, and all the ocean creatures stopped eating fish, then we should stop eating animals of any kind. And soon, humans would disappear. "Give me fishery, or give me death!"
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm not sure I follow that, Howie. Why would humans disappear? I don't think humans are "obligate carnivores" though cats are. They absolutely have to eat meat because it supplies something they can't get from any other food source. Humans who don't eat fish or meat seem to be able to get along quite nicely so long as their protein intake is adequate.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should stop eating fish. Or meat. I eat the occasional shrimp or tuna or sardine without a thought to those sad fish eyes. I'm just saying I don't see how humans would disappear if everyone did stop eating fish.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Howie ~

I haven't eaten fish, poultry, pork or red meat for about 23 years. Prior to that I rarely ate fish, because I don't like it. I haven't disappeared yet. As far as I know, that is.

Also, our oceans are polluted, so I wouldn't be fond of eating fish, even if I did like it and was not a vegetarian.

Love & Light,

Rose
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Yeah, I may have exaggerated. But I enjoy eating meat. I'm a carnivore through and through. Sam is too!

Albert Einstein

Comment

I have through the years enjoyed seafood, especially salmon, and white fish like grouper, also pork tenderloin along with a little red meat. I am beginning to care less about it, especially the fish part. Every time I get it now I think about and wonder what ocean it came out of, but salmon is so good for us that I do have it occasionally.

I have chicken but I am very picky about where I get it.
                    Virginia

Comment

We've all heard the phrase, "Like a chicken with it's head cut off". When I was a kid, we went to a place to buy some ducks, but they also had baby chicks in a big box, hundreds of them. I remember seeing a chick, that the others had pecked it's head off, and it was still running around. That was probably 60 years ago, but I still remember it. That's something that's hard to forget!

Albert Einstein

Comment

That would be unforgettable. Years ago a friend used to say how much she hated chickens. She had to take care of them as a kid and had discovered that they're very mean.

After Howie's story I see what she meant.

Comment

Makes me feel good about eating the mean little things!

Albert Einstein

Comment

:) Shortly after the PT lady left I started sneezing and I sneezed all night. I went through a whole box of Kleenex. I am coughing and have a sore throat but no fever. My nose keeps running and I took an antihistamine.

My friend Liz dropped off some chicken noodle soup last night and this afternoon she brought me some more.
                            She does not come in as she does not want to catch what I have.

My sinuses are full and my forehead feels tight. At least I have no fever so it must not be the C virus. I have absolutely no energy and am so tired of my runny nose and coughing. Please say a prayer for me. Thanks, Jeanie :)

Comment

Feel better Jeanie. I have to say, I NEVER get sick. The last time I was sick was when I was going through the childhood sicknesses, you know, mumps, measles, chicken pox. I've never taken any of the DMT for the MS which all seem to work at suppressing the immune system. Mine in not suppressed in any way, and is merciless when new invaders try to enter my system. At least, that's what I believe.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Too bad, Jeannie! It's probably good that it's not the coronavirus but no fun whatever it is.

Are you bothered by allergies? I've been sneezing and sneezing lately, and I've heard that this spring is a bad allergy time.

Comment

Working...
                                X