No announcement yet.

Keep on Moving: March 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is exhausting, Sunshine. I need a break for awhile.

Peter took a break from working at home and we took a drive to drop off the taxes. We did not have to see him. And we sent my mom extension forms for her state and federal taxes. We just can’t get to her.

Then we went to a large -but not a warehouse - grocery store. We figure it might be our last shopping for awhile. We are thinking of things for his mother in case one of us is sick and therefor neither of us can shop for her; cat stuff; frozen vegetables; juice, drinks, and better canned soups that we might want if we are recovering from a virus. I didn’t notice the flour situation. I did see that they had plenty of meat. Peter doesn’t eat meat but I got a small package of pork chops to have w onions.

So, there is that walking and the putting away of it all. Then taking the plastic part way off the low tunnel garden to pull weeds and water it. I hope to plant there later this week.

Now I am tired. I earned it.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

I vacuumed the downstairs, talked on the phone to my brother, my neighbor and my cousin who lives in another town.

I wonder what things like milk and bread are going to be like in the store. I think I can wait another week. I don't like bread that has been frozen, but I froze a few slices because my brother told me to. See how compliant I am.

If things get too bad I could go have a spaghetti meal with Chef Howie, but I have a feeling he is going on as usual and going to the stores and the dump, so that is probably not a good idea.
      Virginia

Comment

I was doing laundry again today (did 2 loads on Wednesday, and one last load today). It had really piled up. I was busy coping with changes due to the coronavirus--rearranging and rescheduling things.

And trying to find toilet paper. But a wonderful thing happened. While in the laundry room, I was talking to a neighbor who has a job at Walmart, and he says he could get toilet paper for me any time from the warehouse there--even though he's been told not to go into work just now. This was so kind and unexpected!

Then my son e-mailed that he is working at home and has more time and he offered to go and get anything I was out of. Fortunately so far I'm not out of anything but if the delivery service decides to stop delivering, then I have a problem. I'd hate to ask him to help as he's at least 20 minutes away and they have not just the 2-year-old but the dog, 3 cats, and 2 young women living in their house. But since he did offer, I just might accept the offer if supplies get low here.

I could ride the paratransit van to a supermarket and hope there were things on the shelves that I could buy. Those trips are tiring, though, and there's a 3-bag limit on what I can buy. Still, it's a definite possibility too. Three bags of groceries--that's quite a lot, and might even include toilet paper.

I've been watching Instacart, where I've been trying to schedule a delivery for a few items--though no store has toilet paper available online--but Instacart hasn't had any available delivery times. However, this morning one slot had "limited availability." It was for 6 to 8 AM, and I passed on that. It was encouraging to know that Instacart is trying though.
        Last edited by agate; 03-20-2020, 09:12 PM.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Actually Virginia, I have been just staying in and watching TV. Sam too!
          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Today I did the sheets which took most of the day, an tried to stay centered.
            DH went to store: very slim pickings. One will have to expand boundaries.

They were out of flour I was going to make bread for a week. So he brought home a small container of “self rising “ bread. Really I don’t know what I can do with it. The recipe on teh side was cookies.

I googled it, but got further confused.

We will be eating very differently soon: I am sure that is not such a good thing. I anticipate weight gain, rise in cholesterol.

Hoping fruit stans still have fresh veg and fruit available.

Comment

Sunshine, I know what you mean. Many things are in very short supply around here. Our Nextdoor Neighbor site has a lady that must spend a lot of her time going to some of the different stores. Yesterday she reported that Lowe's Foods had eggs and today she reported that Harris Teeter close to my house were putting out toilet paper, paper towels and Clorox wipes. It is nice of her to do this, but before people can get to these stores they are sold out.

Whole Foods has stopped having their hot bars, salad bars, etc.

Howie, if you find all the ingredients you need for spaghetti you might consider buying enough for several batches and freeze the meat. Oh yes, that goes for your cold slaw too. I am very proud of you for staying in.
              Virginia

Comment

I noticed our hot bar was gone sometime last week, Virginia. I was thinking you would miss it.

Peter went to Trader Joe’s today to get something’s on his way to his mother’s. They were out of many paper goods products including toilet paper, many kinds of beans and they had no rice of any kind.

While he was away, I made a big pot of brown rice and a vegetarian three bean chili from a McCormick recipe. I kept the spices minimal until I separated out a portion for my MIL. I also cooked some burger to add to her chili. Then I added the hot spices to the veggie chili.

Later Peter took his mom to a Thai restaurant to pick up take out and then came here to drop off ginger chicken and pick up his mom’s chili and rice. I got to talk to her in the driveway. I was even able to check a red spot she has from a Holter monitor from the window.

Later I walked with Peter around the neighborhood. Trees are opening and the magnolias are blooming.
                ANN
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

I'm in until the 3rd, payday, then I'll mail off my bills, and will have to get gas in the car. Then I will tackle the grocery store. I will buy to stay shut in for the rest of the month. The safest way to stay safe is to stay home.

Not a big change for me. The only change will be my trips to the store which I really do to get out of the house, than for food.

I watch a show on You Tube called A White Guy Speaks Perfect Chinese. It's funny when he goes into a Chinese place, and begins speaking Chinese. People are quick to tell him his Chinese is perfect.

Today he was in China Town in New York, and everyone, even himself, had on masks. People there had contact with people in China, and had first hand accounts of how it was living with the virus.

So I'm just staying in with Sam, and we are napping, and watching TV, at least until the 3rd. Everyone stay safe.
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Ann, you had a busy day. It sounds like a nice day. Very good of you to make enough chili for your MIL. I notice she eats meat in hers and you and Peter do not. Since she is 94 maybe you two should take a cue from her. I do miss the hot bar and the salad bar at WFs.

Howie, sounds like you have a good plan. Hope you are able to find all the groceries you want when you go to the grocery store on the 3rd. That's quite awhile off, so you must have had some food on hand.
                    Virginia

Comment

Virginia, I bought plenty to eat my last trip to the store, and Sam even has lots of turkey to eat, her favorite daily meal. She also gets dry food, but eats that later when I'm asleep. Probably afraid if I see her eating the dry food, that I will stop giving her turkey!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                        Virginia, I bought plenty to eat my last trip to the store, and Sam even has lots of turkey to eat, her favorite daily meal. She also gets dry food, but eats that later when I'm asleep. Probably afraid if I see her eating the dry food, that I will stop giving her turkey!
                        Clever little sneak.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
                          Today I did the sheets which took most of the day, an tried to stay centered.
                          DH went to store: very slim pickings. One will have to expand boundaries.

They were out of flour I was going to make bread for a week. So he brought home a small container of “self rising “ bread. Really I don’t know what I can do with it. The recipe on teh side was cookies.

I googled it, but got further confused.

We will be eating very differently soon: I am sure that is not such a good thing. I anticipate weight gain, rise in cholesterol.

Hoping fruit stans still have fresh veg and fruit available.
                          We are hoping that farmers’ markets here in MA will be declared essential services as has been done in CT and CA already. Since we accept food stamps for our produce it will really help. I understand now the hoarding instinct. Things will be available in the short run but what if nothing is produced for 6 months? So, I bought the incontinence products I use through Amazon to last 6 months. Maybe I will buy an extra bag of dog food. I ordered dried fruits and dried soup mixes,,,,packages of dried veggies.) anything else people are storing up? I can not get paper products
                          yet but I see the need!
                          Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Can't get paper products at any of the online places I've been trying--Instacart, Amazon, Safeway. No delivery times available either. I've been looking for several days now.

Comment

I cook a lot and use lots of the common spices. This morning, on what I hope is my last shopping trip for a long time, I bought a new container of my favorite spices … except parsley. I can't find plain, dried parsley. I'd love to have another bag of flour too.

Comment

I swam 1/2 mile today. I had my telemedicine appt with my new GI doc and I liked him a lot. So, I landed on my feet.

Save your pennies. My adviser said we are heading into a Depression. What fun this has been....

Comment

Working...
                                X