Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to wear!

Community Member

I vary, according to what I'm doing and feeling that day. Caftans, etc. Are best for the days I'm having bladder issues. It's quicker access to use the bathroom. I self cath and am prone to UTIs, so urgency can be an issue.

If I have an appointment, I wear pull on jeans or dress pants. I prefer pull over type tops, or blouses that I always keep buttoned so I can pull them on.

Around the house I wear pull on 'soft' pants and long or short sleeve tops, depending on the temp.

I have a black pull on skirt that I wear for weddings, etc. I pair it with various tops, depending on the season. I find when you're in a wheelchair, you can get away with a lot!

Dressing is a hastle. I need to use a 'reacher' to put on pants. Various gadgets to put on elastic stockings. Leg lifter for my right leg, so that,s another obstacle. I also have apparatus to remove the elastic stockings. I can still use my walker in the house.

I often feel it's just not worth it.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kittianne, it may not be worth it because dressing takes energy and time--I agree. There have been days when it has taken me hours just to get dressed in the morning--times when there's been an infection hanging on, for instance, or an injury.

But the psychological benefit matters to me.

Abby, what a great photo! Thanks for sharing it.

Hair? I have a couple of wigs in case I can't stand my hair another minute but I try to do my hair entirely by myself--washing and setting it a couple of times a week and letting it air dry, and cutting it as needed. In recent years I've been treating myself to a professional hair cut once a year or so but since moving I haven't yet found a place to go to.

I keep intending to go to a Master Cuts or some place like that but the last time I tried that (over two years ago), I went there but was told to come back in a few hours. I didn't have a few hours and so went to another chain nearby where I had to pay over $30 for a mere haircut.

I'm not sure how safe it is for me to be cutting my own hair, with my fumbly hands and imperfect eyesight but I've been doing this for over 20 years. I like to think I know what I'm doing....

In my 20s and 30s I routinely got perms every 3 months. I gave up on that because each time it took several hours and I got tired. Sitting under the dryer was miserable, and having my head tilted back was a special kind of torture.

And it was costly.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

A male point of view..........

And no I don't like wearing dresses either sorry had to say that.

My wife says I have nakedphobia. I cannot stand to not have button down shirt and a tee shirt pants and shoes and socks. I mean the miniute I get out of bed no matter how I feel. As a matter of fact a couple of years ago when I tried to go into the white light. My wife found me unconscious on the downstairs bed FULLY DRESSED. it was a topic of conversation with the paramedics and while I was in the hospital my daughter and my wife told the nurse keep him covered or he will be mad!!

Most of my life my employer (government) furnished my clothes. And like many men I wear what ever is closest and most comfortable. And over nearly 30 years if we go somewhere my clothes are picked out for me. This gets worse I have never shopped for clothes before I was married I gave my mom money and she bought my clothes and when my clothes need replacing they still magically appear in my closet. There is an exception last week we attended a funeral and my wife said that she is making an appointment to get a new suit and my attendance is mandatory.

Now before everyone jumps me about chauvinistic. I do all the laundry and always have.

I generally get my hair cut about 4 times a year. I keep it short so there's "room to grow" before I need another cut. I go to the hair cut place inside of Wal-Mart where I can get a cut for $15 with a "senior discount". I try to go in the beginning of the week, Monday through Wednesday, and early in the day. I've found that folk will come in over their lunch breaks for haircuts, so I avoid that, and towards the end of the week everyone is getting gussied up for weekend stuff. I've never done the "setting and permanent" thing, so I don't miss that! :), just "cut and go", occasionally blow drying if it's really cold out, or my hair is particularly long (like, I really need a haircut but haven't gotten to WalMart.."
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Yes Cat and Agate, never long floppy sleeves and Abby, I also buy pullovers in X-X-LG, so they are easier to put on and don't cling.:o

Hair, OMG, I am so sad about my "crowning glory", as me mum called my hair. I always made sure, in the old days that it was perfect and if wasn't, I stayed home. Now I just wash it, air dry it, comb it, fluff it and spray it. I don't have the energy to do the do, like I used to, ugh, see my avatar...grumble grumble.:o
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 11-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

I try to be dressed in jeans and whatever top is seasonal- maybe a little extra as I tend to me cold. In the winter, I also where a poodle fleece hoodie (turquoise) w a kangaroo pouch. It was a Christmas present 2 years ago- I asked for it. The hood keeps my neck warm in the back and the kangaroo pocket is where I keep my inside gloves. Socks for sure and moccasins that can go out to the birdfeeder.

Dressing for something special is difficult. I don't have the clothes and I am not interested in getting into pantyhose or tights. I used to prefer dresses over suits - just one piece to put on- but have very few dresses now.

I agree on the jewelry. I used to be known for my earring collection. I very rarely wear any now.

And Abby asks where do we get the energy- well, there is no magic energy in this house (no money tree in the back yard, either). Sometimes, I am in my jammies all day and sometimes I miss an event rather than do the whole dress up thing.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think people generally are more relaxed about what's "appropriate" to wear nowadays though. I've been to church services where some were dressed to the nines but many were looking very casual, to put it mildly.

When I said I almost always wear pants, I meant pants with POCKETS. There's a facial tissue (is that what a Kleenex is really?) that goes everywhere with me at all times, and its home is a pocket where I can get at it. There really are pants without pockets, and I've almost bought them accidentally.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

I still get dressed up. If I am going out of my house I fix my hair, makeup, wear nice dress slacks, nice pullover sweater in winter. In summer I love the nice over blouses with a little spandex in them. I wear jewelry always when I go out. Rings, watch, bracelets, earrings, etc. If I am going to something kind of dressy I usually wear a silk skirt with a nice top or something similar depending on the season.

I get my hair cut and colored every 3 weeks. That is really my big expense, but I will not let it go gray yet. I love gray hair on some people, just not on me. I am fair and it would wash me out.

Having said all of the above, if I am staying in and hope no one is going to come by I have several nice robes that I like to wear. That is what I am most comfortable in. Even before MS, after working all day I use to love just coming home and putting on a robe. It always felt so comfortable. I am always on the look for pretty ones. On days when I am too tired to do my hair, I just take a bath and put on a robe. It is unfortunate that my hair needs to be redone everytime I sleep on it. If it were not for having to go through that there are a lot of days that I would dress when now I don't. I have not found any way for it to look good without me doing it in the past 10 to 15 years. As MS progresses it gets a little harder to do all that I need to do. It just takes so much longer. Another thing I hate about this disease, because I always enjoyed dressing up.
    Virginia

By the way Abby, forgot to tell you - that is a nice picture. I don't have a scanner.
    Virginia

Yes, Abby, a beautiful picture! I always thought you were blonde! I don't know why I pictured you that way. maybe to match your jazzy car.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast