Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to wear!

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

Default What to wear!

Getting dressed is such a pain and the care of all the clothes is taking what little energy I have

I usually just wear sweats with lots of thermals and sweaters,

putting everything on takes so much time.

Sometimes I feel like living in a flannel gown I never go anywhere so why is my life filled with all this taking care of cloths,

How do you handle the daily chore of getting dressed?

Abby
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I rarely go out, so I have caftans, hostess robes, mumus, whatever works. I dress every day to look nice if someone comes to the door. I have an outfit on the ready to go to the DOCS or whereever. Much easier and more comfy for me.:o
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't care how dressy the occasion is--I don't wear dresses or skirts any more. I might break out a lightweight dress if the weather is around 100 degrees. Otherwise, skirts and dresses are out. With numb legs, I never know where their hems are. This can be embarrassing.

I look at the outdoor temperature every day before getting dressed. Then I look at the forecast and wonder if it's believable. Then I look at the sky and might poke my head out the door to see what it feels like.

Then I choose what to wear based on my best estimate of the weather.

It's always pants and a top, plus shoes and kneehighs. If I'm going to be outside and it's under 50 degrees, I choose corduroy pants. Otherwise, cotton (seersucker in summer). The top can be a sweatshirt or pullover sweater if it's cold. My elbows and collarbone area get cold easily. I'm partial to long sleeves and turtlenecks in winter.

Lately I've been wearing a top plus a corduroy or flannel shirt open in front. I can take it off if I get too warm. The "layered look."

I've noticed some people go around all day in a housecoat or even pajamas or a nightgown. That seems like admitting to something I don't want to admit to. I like to act as if I'm still living a normal life.

So every day I try to make my hair presentable and make sure I have decent clothes and shoes on. In recent years, even though I don't deal with makeup any more, I put on some colored lip balm because my face looks pale.
    Last edited by agate; 11-03-2011 at 12:27 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

I haven't worn a dress for years. I sleep in briefs and a t shirt, and have pull-on jeans and t-shirts for daywear. I have some "dress" pull on pants for those times when I go out someplace that jeans might not be appropriate..but for most of my outings...to the grocery store, pharmacy...what I have on is what I wear.

I do think getting dressed in something other than sleep clothes is good for me psychologically, whether I actually go out of the house or not, so I do get dressed every day.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

I'm the opposite to most here, because I can't stand anything tight on my body anymore. A pullover, shirts, slacks and jeans were my uniform, when I was still running around like a real person.:o

I keep a nice pant or jean outfit clean and ready to go, if I must go out in the world. But in my little world it's nice neat caftans or long pullovers and such....not PJs and not dresses (never wear 'em)
    Love, Sally

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't like tight stuff either, Sally. But I've found loose sleeves to be a problem because they catch on things, and when they catch on a pot handle in the kitchen and pull the pot off the stove, there's real trouble. Except for that, I'm all in favor of loose-fitting clothes.

And how about jewelry? I gave up on wearing that some time ago even though I've always liked jewelry. It's just one more thing to fuss with. I've got a few pieces tucked away because they have sentimental value but all of the rest of it is long gone.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

A pull over shirt is the worst right up there with buttons.

I got to where I buy xlarge and I only weigh 76 pounds (enphasema does that to a person) so that the clothes will just fall over my head.

I guess my biggest problem, is thar in a life before illness I was a neat freak and never could just leave my clothes layingall over the place

And forget the gizmo's thy have to help you pull on your sock's - the button thingy mess with mt head- and I have not wore shoes in 4 years I have one pair of old (I mean old 1989 old) is the only pair I can tolerate on my feet - my one yearly outing (med check) amost came to late as the weather was a biy nippy for tennis shoes.

Abby

I do not wear jewerly. I opened up 2 of the 5 holes I had in my ears only to get a bad infection, forget makeup, and I have not had a salon haircut since 2001.
    OIhaven's worn a dress since 2002

Abby

I just learned how to make a image in ere - that is me pre illnesss days 2000
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Abby2006; 11-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Pretty picture, Abby. Thanks for sharing!
    Love, Sally

Distinguished Community Member

I'm a sucker for jewelry, particularly rings and earrings. I wear at least ear studs every day (I have pierced ears), generally a simple gold chain (it rarely comes off, even when I shower), and my wedding rings. If I'm not baking bread or doing messy work on a dollhouse restoration I'll wear other rings.

I learned the hard way to avoid long sleeves, especially loose sleeves, in the kitchen! It's hard enough to cook from a wheelchair without dangling sleeves in the pots, snagging on the handles! I made quite a mess with a kettle of tomato soup and an errant sleeve..
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast