Thread: Vit D again - more new news

Default Vit D again - more new news

Graham
    RRMS Diag. Dec 08 - 4yrs 9mnths after first relapse
    11 lesions to date. IFnBeta Jan 09.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thanks, I sure am glad I started the 5000iu of D3. I do believe it is helping me. I wonder if I should take 10000IU?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member

Graham, thanks for the post. I have been taking vitamin D3 for many years thanks to the people on this forum.

Virginia
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Vitamin D poll results from 7/18/11

I'm transferring the poll results from the archived board:

View Poll Results: How much vitamin D3 do you take daily?

I don't take vitamin D 0 0%
    Less than 1,000 IU 1 4.35%
    Between 1,000 and 3,000 IU 11 47.83%
    Between 3,000 and 4,000 IU 1 4.35%
    Between 4,000 and 5,000 IU 4 17.39%
    5,000 - 10,000 IU 2 8.70%
    More than 10,000 IU 4 17.39%
    Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll
    I'll try posting a link to the thread but it may not work:
    http://74.220.207.183/~braintal/arch...d.php?t=116302
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Probably a dumb question--but can low Vitamin D cause MS type symptoms? My D level is only 11

Distinguished Community Member

My guess is no it can not, but that is only a guess. The reason I think this is true is because most Doctors around here are now checking Vitamin D3 levels and while they are telling people to take D3 these people do not have MS symptoms. One of my Doctors told me I was the only person he had checked who had normal levels of D3. I had been on it for many years because there was so much information about it possibly helping MS.

Virginia
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shadowrose, your question
    but can low Vitamin D cause MS type symptoms? My D level is only 11
    isn't one I know an answer for. But this abstract seems to be pointing to a possible connection between vitamin D levels and the MS disease process:

J Neurol Sci. 2011 Aug 22.

Vitamin D in the healthy and inflamed central nervous system

Smolders J, Moen SM, Damoiseaux J, Huitinga I, Holm°y T.

Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Clinical and Experimental Immunology, and School for Mental Health and Neuroscience, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

High exposure to vitamin D may protect against development and progression of multiple sclerosis (MS), possibly through the immunomodulatory properties of its biologically active metabolite 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D. So far, most studies on the possible mechanisms for vitamin D involvement in MS have focused on immune modulation outside the central nervous system (CNS). However, vitamin D may also interfere with the pathophysiology of MS within the CNS.

In this review, the potential presence and functions of vitamin D in the inflamed and healthy CNS are explored. We discuss that vitamin D, vitamin D binding protein (DBP), the vitamin D receptor (VDR) and enzymes needed for metabolism (CYP27B1) are present in the CNS. Both VDR and CYP27B1 are expressed on a variety of cells, including neurons, glial cells, and invading lymphocytes.

Additionally, vitamin D has been postulated to play a modulating role in several key-processes in MS pathophysiology, including inflammation, demyelination, axonal damage, and remyelination.

We conclude that a local role of vitamin D in the inflamed CNS is likely and potentially relevant to MS. Future studies should further characterize the impact of vitamin D on the local disease process of MS in the CNS.

PMID:21862439

From PubMed, August 25, 2011. The abstract can be seen here.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.