Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: !!Rant/fessin' up!!

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

pati ,

i hope i didn't offend you by posting my explanation after your post. i had read about dependence vs. addiction a long time ago and i was thinking more of terminally ill patients, like my mom, who are denied strong painkillers sometimes because doctors are afraid they will get addicted to them. seriously? if a person is dying, i don't think you should worry about them getting addicted. there are also a lot of people here on controlled substances (meds that might cause addiction) and i just wanted them to know the differences. your post jolted my memory .

joy, those docs sure make you feel like you're breaking the law sometimes. i certainly would have had a crappy life if i didn't find a med for my panic attacks. i can handle my tourette syndrome, the panic attacks were affecting my life and my ability to parent my children. i thank God for the great primary care physician i have. he has always listened to me and believed me and never questioned my need for relief from pain or for my usage of the klonopin!

jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 02-19-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member

no offense here Jeannie, I refused the Klonopin mostly cause I wanted an answer to WHY my body was jerking-not some pill for seizures! now of course I realize they prescribe all kinds of drugs for various symptoms. back then I was being sent to ortho doc's,neuro's, and looked at with horror when they actually saw me jerking-they were all clueless of course. older & wiser now I am.btw since I'm back to drinking diet soda's after years of ranting about aspartame & still not jerking I think the culprit may have been the Zoloft but of course not sure.will probably never know.

saw a show the other day on a camp for teenager's with Tourette's & thought of you,eye opening show for sure. hope you have never had it as bad as some. one thing that stood out was the determination & self esteem some of them had in spite of horrific symptoms. and of course thought of your mom-did she blame herself? they said it was genetic. did you ever suffer from constant screaming? you certainly don't need to answer!

cold here today & just might get some snow this weekend.
    sooooo glad we're back to daily input here on BT!

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

pati ,

just my opinion, but several people who had tourette syndrome that i talked with in the old chatroom days also had myoclonus. that leads me to believe it is a neurological problem caused by misfiring brain signals and neurotransmitters. because benzodiazepines affect a certain neurotransmitter, they help with muscle spasms, anxiety and epilepsy. that's why they might have worked for the myoclonus, pati, i am so proud of you for avoiding diet soda all these years. i just stopped my consumption of them last november and i have read more about them. i think flavored water and tea is the way to go. i hope you change your mind about drinking diet sodas again .

strange, but no one else in my family had tourette syndrome (ts). my mom, sister and i all had panic attacks though, so i do think i got a one in a million combination of genes from my parents that caused me to develop ts. my mom blamed my dad...lol. i realized i just got a bad turn of the genetic roulette wheel with regards to getting ts. everyone has something wrong with them. no human escapes some kind of physical problem.

i never suffered from constant screaming, swearing, touching people inapppropriately or some of the more severe symptoms of ts. usually only a small percentage of people have these severe ts behaviors, but of course they get the most exposure cause they are so extreme. i have some vocal tics and motor tics, like my neck scrunching. all these come and go on various days. some days i am more calm. stress increases tics for me as it does with all people with ts. i still got teased in school for some of my obvious tics, like eye blinking.

i think when you have an unusual or unexplainable or any kind of disease that makes you different than everyone else (as if they are normal), you will get teased. you can either decide to hide from the world or decide this is YOUR LIFE and you only get one life and you are dam well going to live it the way you want to! i think children with probs are more sensitive to other's probs and feelings...just my opinion. i think other children/people sense this and they give you feedback on your understanding. this develops self-esteem. sure, i would rather not have had ts, but it's only a small part of who i am as a person and it's contributed to the person i am today. so all in all, it is a good life and it's MINE!

jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 02-20-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes Klonopin and Xanax seem to be the drug of choice among teens and young adults here. Pills were never my thing so becoming addicted to them has passed a long time ago and .5 mg each night is not exactly a lot. Well now it is 1mg and quite frankly it seems to be helping quite a bit.

I have been working on my therapy suggestions, well all except for meditation. Yes I know how much it will help me but kinda hard when brain doesn't shut up long enough to get a moments peace.

Jo yes I have asthma and my new pulmonary guy says probably chronic bronchitis. I have my meds and inhalers. so yes on the COPD.

Joy here they are closing down dispensaries. No patient to patient sales. Only caregivers or grow your own. THat is a lot of work and those who need it most aren't capable of doing the work. Just more people going back underground. There is a big shortage of caregivers, especially that aren't also patients.

I don't know why they don't just make it legal and get all the drama over with. Alcohol is way worse. My mother drank herself to sleep every night due to her pain mentally and physically. Drank herself to death. Cant do that on MMJ.

Pati quitting smoking is compared to getting off of heroin. Not exactly the same withdrawal side effects but just as hard. I wish I'd never started again. Had the perfect excuse too. dang it all

Distinguished Community Member

i am not sure what they are callin it in my 8 year old grandson, but he can get so wound up and will have to move his feet constantly. last year he went through the neck moving, blinking and other such types of movements so they put him on medicine.

poor boy some days it slows him down to a standstill. but it does help in his school work sometimes. it is difficult because this is a boy with a mind of his own. his teacher will give him a test to take befgore giving him the REAL test. this happened this last testing. guess what happened, he made a 100 on the pre test but flunked the test. geeze i am sure he thought, i have already done this lady, LOL. i added that lol as a tongue in cheek thing mind you.

i know that he is happy and right now if he had to make a career choice, he'd probably pick janator spe4ll wrong but anyway give him a broom and dust pan and especially if he can vaccum. newest thing is locks and keys. I think because he got so many whippings last year that that only made it worse. and also perhasps boys have a glint in their eyes when it comes to others making fun of them. or for grandson, not caring at all others opinion. i realise this may change but oh how hard it has to be for kids. even granddaughter can not deal at just now turning 13 how others think of her. so far the boy has it all over the girl for dealing with things.

geeze i could go on all day about the grandkids, lol. i will say right now i know nothing of how to help them deal with grandson. hubby did pass on the word that grandson had said he didn't try because he always got a spanking anyway. this was last year. ooh how hard it is. at least I know gson is lucky because he has loving parents that want to try and help him. makes a big difference and it is a shame if kids don't get that from their parents.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456