Page 1 of 37 1234561131 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening in our Caregiving World?

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

Exclamation What's Happening in our Caregiving World?

hey everyone !great to be back here and whining again . hope you all have been okay during this bt downtime.okay. jump in the water's fine!thank you for caring,jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member

Smile

Good to "see" you Jeannie. I have started my whining already on the Emotional Support thread. I cannot get my smilies to work inside my thread so far is my next one so I will chose one for the post as I am determined to have a smile somewhere and my face doesn't want to comply..

Well isn't this a nice new pretty place, going to take some getting use to though. I see lots of red x , that could be my pc though it has been ''under repair'' and still is not right.
    MIL is still the same. With so much going on with Mr.Q I haven't been to the NH is almost a week. I really messed my leg up in that fall at the hospital more than I thought so I have been limping around to all his appoinments so that doesn't leave much for the NH. I have thought about calling and asking if they would bring her down to the lobby at a certain time, I'm sure they would. Her room is like on the very back hall.
    I hope your all doing well,,,I'm going to go wonder around & check out our new little ''world''. ((hugs))

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Hi Jeannie and Karen. Not sure I'm all tucked in and everything working right, but I'll keep trying! I hope you 2 are doing ok and your LO as well as possible. I have missed everybody. Will come back later. all my love, Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

hey everyone !

i didn't visit my mom today, but my husband did.

my son came down with some kind of stomach virus monday, then my daughter got it and yesterday evening it hit me with violent nausea and a splitting headache.

i'm feeling less nauseous today, drinking flat coke and nothing else. i'm scared to have half an english muffin for fear of getting nausea again. i have this phobia about throwing up...i always have. i will do anything to avoid it. one thing that really helps me is something called "emetrol". you can get it over the counter and it's an intensely sweet liquid, i'm sure it's all sugar, but apparently that does something to your stomach to stop making you feel nauseous. i hate pepto-bismol and it doesn't work for me.

anyway, my husband said my mom was dressed and eating in the dining room. he told her i was sick and she said then it was good i didn't come.

julia ! it's so nice to see you after all this time. i'm glad pati called you to check up on you. i wanted to, but i thought if you were sick then i didn't want to bother you or ken. he kind of scares me ...lol. we all hope to see you posting more soon!

thank you all for sharing and caring (i love you all),
    jeannie

oh, i called the counselor who helped me 2 years ago when i put my mom in the nursing home. i just need to get a handle on all this loss i am experiencing. i think it's going to help a lot!:)

Hi ladies,
    I hope you and your loved ones are all doing ok. I have been sick with a nasty cold & now Mr.Q has come down with it so I'm avoiding the NH. I think I may have got it there or the hospital but anyway I don't want to pass it around. Mr.Q & I went to see MIL last week before I got sick & she was the same. She let me giver her some soda but other than that just stared right through us. I hate it.

hey everyone !

i went and saw my mom at the nursing home yesterday. she was eating lunch in the dining room. she seemed more alert and her eyes were all open and focused. she still was popping up with quetrions that didn't make sense, as if we had just been talking about them and she asked the next question. it's hard to understand what she means anymore. when my husband and i were leaving she asked where she was going to go. i said, "you're staying here because you live here." she said something like, "how will i know where to go?" and i said, "your room is right here. they'll take care of you." she just said okay and thanked us for coming. she always calls my husband by his first name, but not me. i have to admit it irks me sometimes, but i've grown used to that fact.

i talked to the man whose wife is in the bed next to my mom's. i asked the man if he minded telling me what was wrong with his wife, cause i told him i talked to her 2 weeks previously and she nodded and smiled when i asked her if her name was "christine." he says she has some kind of degenerative brain encephalopathy that causes alzheimer's-like memory loss. the woman is only 62 and she's had it for 10 years. her husband told me she is in the final stages, i know she is on a feeding tube and receives fluids through iv, because she is a choking risk and can't have anything by mouth. i didn't butt in anymore, but her husband told me he is depressed. he comes there several times a day and just sits by her side, reading, or on his blackberry or laptop. i've never seen anyone else there, like older children, so maybe they didn't have any or they all live too far away. it is so sad. the woman looks so young and she's very pretty, not many wrinkles or lines on her face. the man and i talked about knowing you have a fatal disease and so you tune out of life and that makes you forget more. he said she started tuning out a long time ago.

julia, i hope you are safe from that hurricane...i am thinking about you! also thinking about my daughter, who is near the east river in new york city. she is on the border of an evacuation zone, mostly for flooding, but she is far enough away from the east river to probably avoid that. i hope she takes precautions, though.

sad stories everywhere...

thank you for sharig and caring ,
    jeannie

Jeannie
    As long as your daughter is not on the ground floor she'll be fine. They shut down all the subways, buses and commuter rail lines at noon today. The quiet is really eerie!

hey everyone!

thanks jim. she was coming home from 3 days in the adirondacks on friday. everyone was telling her to stay there ! but i called her and told her to go on the computer and she should find info if her area was being evacuated. she lives on the second floor and she and her 7 roommates just stayed put all day sunday. i read her facebook post after the hurricane and she said it was nice to not work on a sunday!

i went to visit my mom today. she had her eyes closed, sitting in her wheelchair in the dining room after lunch. she totally didn't know who i was and she didn't know who my husband was either. she did say something strange. she said, "jean is still pretty." did she somewhere know i was jean? did my face look familiar? i will never know. chit, as julia would say.

she said she was tired, so i took her to her room and she was able to stand up and walk a few feet to the bed, but she laid down with her head way below the pillow, so i put the pillow underneath her head, kissed her and said i would see her next week. i think she was asleep right away.

i asked the nurse if she just got a pain pill. the nurse said, she got one a couple hours ago. the nurse said my mom was humming and using her feet to go all around the hallways the previous day. i hope i get to hear my mom hum again.

thank you for sharing and caring ,
    jeannie

or as they say in polish when there is problems in the family, "hold yourselves together."

How is everyone doing?

We are just drying out from TS Lee down here, it didn't do any real damage but I'm not stepping off the driveway for a few days. The unofficial rainfall here was 11in. I sure do wish we could have sent that rain to TX with all those fires.
    I went to the NH yesterday. MIL was in bed, the tv was on but she doesn't really notice it. They had it on golf & I switched it over to QVC that she use to enjoy watching. She didn't pay notice me much but I kept on talking. I figure it is good for her to hear a voice now that she doesn't have a roommate. I really don't mind that they haven't put anyone else back in the room with her yet. After not saying anything while I was there over an hour when I started to leave she said thanks for stopping by. I have given up trying to understand how this disease works.
    Mr.Q is still sick, we still don't know what is going on just waiting for the 16th to go to New Orleans where I doubt we get any answers.
    hope your and your LO are all doing ok.

Page 1 of 37 1234561131 ... LastLast