Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WADA results

Distinguished Community Member

Great! I am glad for you. We have come very far in surgical epilepsy care!! Did you ask the neurosurgeon's success rate? Not the bio. Ask them. I did. How many epilepsy surgery cases has he done successfully? I wanted to know. Why the facility afterward? I am not familiar with that. I went home alone. You have all of us with you for sure!!
    I want to work in epilepsy sooo bad but can't find a Center in my state I like. Don't want to move still in school but sure do need to find a job in it. My calling for sure. I wish you well and keep us posted here. Tattoo

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

IMHO - that surgery is fantastic news!! Best wishes

Community Member

She has a great bio. Done a good number or surgeries. Education history and externships/internships were at good facilities. It was asked at the meeting last week what the chances are of getting rid of seizures. Dr's always squirm when they are asked percentages. She said there was a high chance I'd be seizure free.

I think the reason for post operation monitoring the week following discharge was "just in case". That is uncertain if it will be done. I live in a building of persons with disabilities of all sorts. There are 2 residents who are nurses, so worst case one of them can help.

They are sending the packet off to me for the surgery.
    I just saw another Dr yesterday for the genetic condition I have. I was informed what I thought was a result of a seizure ,biting my tongue, was actually one of two tumors on it. The rest of that appointment was a gab session. Dr knows I'm not an endangered case, so they just keep an eye on me every year. I like appointments that are light like that!!

Slightly off this topic thread, I have a question for ya'll. Does ANYBODY know the "Epilepsy Foundation Concerns Index"? I think it's to evaluate the QOL of patients, often pre/post surgery. Similar to Davinski's (sp?) evaluation scale I think. I have encountered references to it numerous times in articles I'm reading and have no idea what it entails. It was referenced in a 1999 article in Neurology according to references in the articles. (yes I'm reading technical books here!)

Thanks everybody. I'll try to keep ya up to date if I can. In ICU I don't think I'll be allowed to have my portable...Internet withdrawal.

--Travis

I googled the Concern's Index you mentioned and found this article. It seems that the EFA used a global score for all the many dimensions assessed, and it was felt that things could be missed. Three docs from the Comprehensive Center that did my surgery are listed as participating in this study of the Concern's Index who concluded that important details could be left out. I was so pleased. Those are my special docs.
    I am not sure what experience and training those who initially did the Index had. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that is was not all inclusive. Tattoo
    This is a quote from the abstract. "We conclude that the Epilepsy Foundation Concerns Index is multidimensional, and using a global score based on all items may mask specific concerns that may be relevant when applied to individual patients."
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...25505005000405

Community Member

I was told this afternoon the 7 Tesla MRI was up and running... then asked "Can you come down tomorrow? We have a slot at midday." Well...no time to call for medical transport. I'm eating a cab fare to get down there. Taking a much cheaper transport back home.

This may end up for the better having it done before the surgery. See if it gives a better picture of the structure.

Should be interesting to see how the 7T images come out. From what I have heard, they are much clearer signal to noise than the 3T. The 7 is still in "trial" phase regarding Epilepsy, even though it's been around almost as long as the 3. The bore (opening size) is the same as the 3. Found out this location has a 10.6 (10 something) arriving NeXT year. Only 2cm smaller bore than the 3 and 7T.

--Travis

Hi Travis,

I'm glad to hear the good news. If I may ask do you know what type of surgery you will be having done? I had the right temporal lobectomy done bake in 1993 and it reduced my sz. over 50%. Now they have the gamma knife surgery which
    is much safer and a lot easier to do. They just use high frequency radio waves to wipe out any brain tumors or brain damage that's triggering sz. often a person can go home the same day as the surgery unless they have received to much radiation
    then they will have to stay at the hospital for a day or 2 and then go home. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Community Member

She said resection. I know it isn't the gamma knife. I know they don't have the LITT there. I think it's old fashioned scalpel. I think I said it above, but it's expected to be a 6-8 hour surgery.

The images from the 7T, not yet compiled, the doctor said they looked more definitive than the 3.

From speaking with my Neurologist, not the neurosurgeon, he said they WILL be using about 3 electrodes in the brain. I guess the confusion was the vocabulary used when I asked the operating doctor. I had envisioned a hand held sensor to probe the brain (and put out discharges).

It's expected to be 4-5 days in the hospital... so NOT same day.

--Travis

Community Member

Had the hair cut today. Major change.
    CIMG0339.jpg

Hi Travis,

I remember the hair cut and I was freezing cold without my hair. Make sure you take something to read or do some puzzles because it got boring for me laying in bed all the time. I'm glad to hear that you only are having 3 electrodes put on
    your brain instead of 7 like I had. I was also in the hospital for about 5 days. If you know of any foods, beverages or things that will trigger sz. for you be sure to let your neurosurgeon and neuro know. I drank diet soda and it triggered sz. for me very fast
    and I was able to get out of the hospital sooner because they found what they wanted from the e.e.g. each time I had a a sz. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
    Last edited by Porkette; 12-05-2011 at 04:48 PM.

All the best to you, Travis. My husband had a right temporal lobectomy back in 2001, and his neuro now says it was like knocking down the whole garage to get rid of the one flickering light you can't fix... much better techniques now. So our experience with surgery is not going to help you much except for this: after surgery, sleep as much as you can. If you find you need a nap, take one - for as many days or weeks as you need. Expect a gigantic headache.

Rabbit

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast