Epidural Saline Infusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epidural Saline Infusion

I had an appointment with my two neurologists and an anesthesiologist this morning. Each time I have an appointment, another doctor is added into the mix which is very comforting. They have decided to admit me and are going to consult with Dr. S. They are going to try an Epidural Saline Infusion. I am so blessed to have their support and their willingness to collaborate. Even if the relief is temporary, I look forward to it. Wondering if anyone has had success with this procedure?

Thats really good news! They are moving on with you! Good luck, will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    ***x

Comment

Never heard of it. How is it suppose to work? Is it like a blood patch?

Keep us posted. Thia

Comment

Epidural Saline

This is the same procedure as a blood patch except that saline is used instead of your own blood. Sometimes a catheter is left in the epidural space and a continuous infusion of saline is delivered for a period of time. The procedure is more of a diagnostic than therapeutic intervention. The saline will increase the pressure in the epidural space and therefore press on the dura increasing CSF pressure albeit temporarily. If you have a good response then it argues for a case of low CSF pressure causing your symptoms. If there is no response then it is unlikely a low CSF pressure scenario is causing your symptoms.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks so much for the info. My doctor says I should feel relief. A few pain-free days would be really nice... I'll post with results.

Comment

Just wanted to wish you all the luck on this procedure!
            - Marianne

Comment

Thanks very much. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

After five days in the hospital, I am finally home after having an epidural spinal infusion. It was quite uncomfortable and I'm afraid I've traded one HA for another. I was infused and had a catheter for about two days. It took a while to get the infusion pressure right. After the first day, my HA was much better and I could move my neck without pain. So in a since, it did give me at least 12 hours of normalcy. The docs figured since I was feeling better, we should leave it in. After the second day, I woke up from what little sleep I was getting with an enormous migraine behind my eyes. It was not like my low-pressure HA, it was now a high pressure HA. I was in tears from the pain and needed some IV pain med to bring it down. I could not get comfortable at all and thought how at least with my low-pressure HA I could find some relief by laying down. A bloodpatch was planned, but given my new condition with high pressure, my doc decided to hold off. I am now home taking 60 mg of prednisone which seems to be helping/masking some of my symptoms (i.e, stiff neck, burning between shoulder blades, HA at base of skull, excruciating spine pain, tiredness. So for now, it is too early to tell if I have benefited from the saline infusion. It was a very difficult week with all of the scans, constant bloodwork, being woken up to check neuro signs every two hours etc. Most of you know the drill. Hope everyone is hanging in there. Take care. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Bless you! So much to go thru bit if having the saline gave u high pressure headache then that is a positive diagnosis for csf leak/low pressure isn't it? So have they said what the plan is now? Initially hope things settle down and you start to get your life back xx

Comment

Working...
                  X