Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eldery

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

Default The Eldery

That's supposed to be elderly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/el...te-orders.html

Abby
    Last edited by Abby2006; 10-17-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Oh my, that is just awful..
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

That is soooo creepy.
    Hospital staff absolutely freak if they find you looking at your open file.

A real (suck up) RN told me "you read too much" when I began to ask
    her about terminology I had read in my chart under the absentee supervision
    of someone else.

That made a big impression on me as far as how much paper ransacking
    I was going to do in the future.

Sick but not stupid.

Distinguished Community Member

Too bad, makes you think someone who cares about the patient should be in the room all the time, just to make sure nothing goes on..
    Virginia

My husband passed away at the time I went home to pack for hospice, where he was to be transferred. They had a yellow Do Not Resuscitate sign next to his door. They HAD told me he was dying. But he thought he was going home or to "rehab", and I was packing for hospice when he passed away, possibly from too much morphine.

But although his death has been the start of endless mourning for me, I can see the other side of this issue. He would probably
    have suffered for another month and then died in the hospice, in even greater difficulty than he already was.

I was in the same hospital on Sunday because I had a severe reaction to chemo. That's the end of chemo for me--I gave it every chance.

Anyway, there is another facet to this. All night long before the day he died, there was faint drumming and chanting (American Indian type) heard in his room. 3 nurses heard it, my son heard it, and I heard it. It went on from dusk to dawn. It seemed someone was welcoming him across. My son went out to see if it came from the parking lot, but there was one empty car there in a snowy night. I have never been able to get any explanation of this oddity from any pastor, since Irv was not an Indian nor
    interested in their ceremonies. I suppose th hospital could have put on a show (never thought of that until just now), but it seems unlikely. I had been in his room without ceasing for 12 days, as there was an extra bed there which I was invited to
    sleep in, and I ate meals brought up, and fed him. He didn't want to go. He was fully conscious, although 92 years old and
    having to use a CPAP machine to breathe, and i had to call for the reparatory therapist sometimes when he needed the CPAP.

I am not angry at the hospital, although I know they had to get him out of there for cost containment. He was dying, and he died. I am more angry at some of the treatment I had there on Sunday night but I am not even really angry at that. I am
    in a transition mood myself.

I do think it is horrible to withhold water and intravenous food. At least water should be given. Irv was eating solid food, with my help, so he didn't have that horror. I fear my son will do whatever it takes to just end it for me, because he does whatever authorities want, so I hope I don't end up starved and dehydrated like Terry Schiavo.

Mariel

P.S.to my comment. Two hours after Irv passed away, I was walking in my hall and I felt his spirit pass through me quickly and go on. I felt that he was now well, walking upright, and feeling great. When I walk across that spot in the floor, or propel Irv's wheelchair across it (I use it now because of painful feet) I always think of that. There are many good things that happen, but we are conditioned not to believe them because they couldn't happen according to science.

But my son, who heard the drumming and chanting in Irv's room, is an atheist scientist, and he heard it clearly enough to go outside and look for it, without success.

Coming to USA so be careful

Abby

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Mariel- I was not knocked out by the overall treatment my mom received in the hospital before she
    moved to hospice 10 days later. Her kids were checking her state of mind under prescribed meds because the staff was scarce and another old person having freaky hallucinations was no big deal to them.

Hospice was odd. I know their rap but they got heavy handed to family about us asking mum if she wanted water or ice cream while we sat there w/food. Her appetite was very diminished but
    sometimes she was thrilled to have chocolate ice cream.

She would sleep for two days and then be wired for company. Okay, so she was on opiates but shoot, she made a party out of high times - very normal for her. It was her time- sleeping or being wicked to us on her way out. Exactly a year ago.

Staff was with her during her last hour and I hope they gave her abundantly the consolation of human touch.

How wonderful you heard chanting and drumming, wherever it came from-
    and you felt your husband's spirit to be strong.

pax
    Last edited by renee; 10-19-2011 at 08:55 PM.

removed by poster
    Last edited by Mariel; 10-22-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Mariel that is totally creepy.

Abby

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast