Thread: Sleep study at home

Default Sleep study at home

The sleep study in a sleep study lab was with the EEG type electrodes caulked on all over the scalp, and wires all over the place. That was a decade ago. Now I am told it is done with something in your own home with two spots that go on your temple and a little tube in your nose . . . It diagnoses sleep apnea and it can even diagnose narcolepsy. Really??? A home sleep study. Fascinating. One problem with the sleep lab is many people can't sleep there that first night and insurance will only pay for that first night. I don't see how it can diagnose narcolepsy, though because that was done doing a study that night as well as the next day.

Naomi

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I have had the thing they place on finger to measure stuff. That is the reqson I am having in November my third sleep study but just like the first two, this one will be in the doctors private place. He made a building and had four bedrooms installed. Thrifty huh, LOL. I am not looking forward to it al all but it seems I am not getting enough oxygen even in daytime but at night for now is the only time I use oxygen. I so am dreading it. Yep, just what a person who has trouble getting to sleep wants, a strange place to try and let them monitor their sleep.

I did ask, this won't work at all if I don't sleep. yes that's right. overnigh expenses for nothing. And he has already informed me that one night will most likely NOT be enough. Like my insurance will pay for that. don't think so.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Well, someone else I know just had the home sleep study with the gizmo going on the head and tube up the nose (or whatever - I'll soon find out when I have to undergo this this week)... and guess what... SHE COULD NOT SLEEP! She has some sensory problems (and PTSD) and whenever she started dosing off she woke PANICKY! If you brush at it and knock it askew the thing beeps at you... she gave up or else she would have been a mess for days.... I hope insurance will still pay even if the lab gets virtually no data. :-(

Oh - the thing that goes on our finger is a pulse oximeter. It does measure oxygen level. But, if a person is young and relatively healthy, even with apnea, they can still maintain pretty good oxygen level because their body compensates. BUT - it is a strain on the heart and what we were told is that eventually, it will start dipping. As it is though, it can still tell if there are multiple periods of oxygen dips - minor OR severe - and how frequently.
    Last edited by Naominjw; 10-24-2011 at 04:39 AM.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

[BI think that they said it has mild damage to heart muscle or something like that. I really could not hear them all that well. I hope to learn more after the study. Even staying awake the night before doesn't mean that I will sleep for the test tho. I think I have always had insomnia![/B]

8. The following user says "thanks"

New Community Member
    Stuart, FL (a small fishing community an hour or so North of Miami, FL)

Default Home Sleep Studies

I wish I would have had an option to do that instead of having to spend the night at an outside sleep center. My insomnia was even worse then usual I think because of course it is a little wierd to not be at home with all those electrodes coming out of your head. I don't even think sleep studies are even a good idea unless your primary concern is apnea. I could not even really sleep, so it was kind of impossible for them to even rule out apnea since you have to actually be asleep to stop breathing. Duh, right?

Sara

10. The following user says "thanks"

New Community Member

I have to go in for a sleep study next week, they're going to do me at the lab, because I am totally blind, as is my fiancÚ, and no one would be able to come and assist me with hooking up all of the stuff. Never had one done before, but it would've been great if they could've done it at home. But I guess oh well, it is what it is.

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lauren54 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to go in for a sleep study next week, they're going to do me at the lab, because I am totally blind, as is my fiancÚ, and no one would be able to come and assist me with hooking up all of the stuff. Never had one done before, but it would've been great if they could've done it at home. But I guess oh well, it is what it is.
    Hi lauren54, Good luck with the sleep study, or maybe you've had it already?

I hadn't heard of a sleep study being done at home. My son has sleep apnea and the study was done at a lab, I think because there's quite a bit of equipment involved.

During the first EEG I had, they would have preferred for me to fall asleep but there was no way I could fall asleep with the electrodes on my head.

It sounds as if others have had the sleep study done at home. I'm sorry your situation makes that impossible. Is there maybe an organization that could provide a volunteer to do what has to be done?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following user says "thanks"