Thread: I've been approved for Disability!!

Smile I've been approved for Disability!!

Hi, anyone who is reading this! I wanted to let my friends here know that I just found out on Saturday that I was approved for Disability! I received a letter in the mail from Social Security that was giving me information about a temporary password that I could use to check on my account, and I thought, huh?? Then I found a line that said, in effect, "If you are a new beneficiary, you must have received your first check before you can sign on and create a password." Then I went to my checking account to check the balance, and I found that I had already received a payment from Social Security! I am just plain glad and relieved, at this point. I was wondering when I was finally going to hear! Now both my husband and I are both on Disability. Seriously never thought this would happen, but life has a way of surprising you!
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Dear Smiling Angel....

Wonderful...that you will be getting some help...and it is always a lovely surprise.....to find what you were wishing for...but not expecting...has arrived....

Blessings to you....

Congrats! I remember how excied I was when I got approved, too.

Community Member

Congrats Smiling Angel!! I really didn't think you would have a problem at all and I am so glad you made it through the tough process. :) And I hear you about your husband and yourself. My SO is going through the VA as we speak. So, we may both be in the same boat as well. Anyway, congrats again!! :) Oh, and I am not sure if you have FEHBP, I am assuming you do. The next question will be to "B" or not to "B" as in Part B. :)
    C3/C4 ACDF - 2004, C5/C6 ACDF - 2006
    L5/S1 - Facet Degeneration
    Lumbar Facet Rhizotomy L4, L5, S1 (left side) 2007
    Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005

Thanks, all! Kathi - are you referring to health insurance? The reason I don't know is because, as a retiree from the state of New Jersey for nearly 32 years, my husband is guaranteed the same healthcare we had when he was working...It's NJ Horizon BC&BS, and the coverage is very good. It also includes prescription coverage, which is wonderful. Our co-pay for meds varies from $10 a month to $15 for three months if you get the scripts through the mail. We are very fortunate. I hope that your situation comes out in the best way possible, too!

** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Community Member

Congrats to you smiling angel. It is a great stress releiver.
    Last edited by Burr; 10-12-2011 at 11:44 AM.

New Community Member

Congrats... I know that it's so stressful to be waiting for disability decisions and trying to figure out what you will do financially, for insurance, etc. You have had more than enough stress in your life, and I'm glad that this is taken care of.

We must have some kind of good luck around here lately. I didn't post about it, but actually just a few days ago I received notice that my partial/residual disability benefits have FINALLY been approved. I have private disability insurance which includes partial/residual disability benefits when you first go back to work, and since I was on total disability for about 3 years and then went back to work VERY part-time, I should be getting them. But, just like they did with my total disability, they screwed around with the decision for as long as they could. I really think that they hope people will just give up on their claims... not me.
    Mitochondrial Disease (Complex I Deficiency)--I have complicated medical issues affecting multiple organ systems.
    See http://www.umdf.org and http://www.mitoaction.org for more info on mitochondrial diseases.

Hey, Kira - great news for both of us. Time to celebrate!!

Distinguished Community Member

Cool Congrats

Hi Smiling angel - Congrats on the SSD - I know what a relief it is not to have to worry so much financially. Hope everything is well, hope Tom is Better.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 10-14-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Distinguished Community Member

Smiling Angel, glad to hear you got approved as it relieves a lot of the stress.

Kira, it is good to hear you finally have your disability straightened out again.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life