This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful books on MS and related subjects

We have a sticky for Useful Websites. After the recent discussion of books, I wondered if we shouldn't at least have a thread on the subject. Maybe it will even reach sticky status later.

Evaluate, Adapt, And Overcome: Accept No Limits In Life, by Craig Mattice
    Personal journey
    Written by our own NeuroNixed Craig

Awkward B*i*t*c*h [without the asterisks]: My Life with MS, by Marlo Donato Parmelee
    Personal journey
    Book brought to our attention by Gabriella7

Facing the Cognitive Challenges of Multiple Sclerosis, by Jeffrey N. Gringold
    Personal journey.

Mental Sharpening Stones, by Jeffrey N. Gringold
    Real-life techniques “shows how intellectual faculties can be retained and even sharpened through a program of mental discipline.”

And did you know there is actually a book called
    MS for Dummies, foreward by David L. Lander (Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley)?

Thanks Parsi, super!!! I'll check to see if they are all on Kindle. I know Craigs is,,
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Thankd Paris

Abby
      Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Comment

Good idea, Parsi. You can ask the moderators to make this a sticky thread if that's what you want.

Here are some books I know about:

David L. Carroll and Jon Dudley Dorman, MD, Living Well with Multiple Sclerosis: A Guide for Patient, Caregiver and Family (1993) - In need of updating but has lots of practical advice, especially on exercise

Patricia K. Coyle, MD, and June Halper, Meeting the Challenge of Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (2001) - Often out of date but has good common-sense advice

Lisa I. Iezzoni, When Walking Fails: Mobility Problems of Adults with Chronic Conditions (2003) - Written by an MD who has MS

Rosalind Kalb, Multiple Sclerosis: The Questions You Have--The Answers You Need (2004, 3rd ed.) - this is the book I've seen recommended most often as a standard guide

Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Multiple Sclerosis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier (2006, 2nd ed.)

Howard L. Weiner, MD, Curing MS: How Science is Solving the Mysteries of Multiple Sclerosis (2004) -The author has been an MS neurologist for over 30 years. The book appeared before Tysabri came along.

Accounts by or about people with MS:

Max Apple, Roommates: My Grandfather's Story (1994) - a true account by a man whose wife becomes disabled by MS

Richard M. Cohen, Blindsided: Lifting a Life above Illness: A Reluctant Memoir (2004) - The author had both MS and colon cancer, and his father was a doctor with MS

David L. Lander and Lee Montgomery, Fall Down Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn't Tell Nobody (2000)
        --by Squiggy of the "Laverne and Shirley Show"

David Milofsky, Playing from Memory (1982) - a novel about a man with MS

Ben Sonnenberg, Lost Property: Memoirs and Confessions of a Bad Boy (1991) - autobiography by a man who mingled among the rich and famous. Interesting account of his MS

Some of these books might be available through your MS Society chapter's lending library if they have one.
        Last edited by agate; 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Multiple Sclerosis Manifesto by Julie Stachowiak.Here is another excellent book written by a women who has lots of information for women. Julie Stachowiak, PhD is the About.com Guide to Multiple Sclerosis. As an epidemiologist who is also a person living with MS, Julie has an in-depth understanding about the scientific developments around MS and the personal side of living with a chronic illness. She has been called the best MS writer on the web. In the Multiple Sclerosis Manifesto Julie has given us a call to self-help, self-reliance, and political action. Published in 2010 by demosHEALTH, paperback book of 337 pages

Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis by Professor George Jelinek Through an exhaustive, evidence-based analysis of medical research, Professor Jelinek reached the surprising conclusion that MS is a disease largely determined by lifestyle factors. He has demonstrated that people with MS who modify their diet, exercise habits, and other aspects of lifestyle can stabilise the illness and potentially recover. Professor Jelinek's experience with his mother's death from MS, and his own diagnosis in 1999, lend an urgency and compassion to this meticulous work. Published in 2010 by Allen & Unwin. paperback book of 373 pages

Managing Multiple Sclerosis Naturally A Self-Help Guide to Living with MS, Judy Graham. Judy Graham is an inspiration. Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis when she was just 26 years old, 36 years later Judy Graham is still walking, working, and has successfully birthed and raised a son who is now an adult. In this totally revised and updated edition of her groundbreaking Multiple Sclerosis, first published in 1984, she shares the natural treatments that have helped her and many others with MS stabilize or even reverse the condition. Judy Graham is the editor of New Pathways a magazine for people with MS, has worked as a TV producer for the BBC and other UK channels, and has written for many newpapers and magazines. She is the author of six books, including Multiple Sclerosis and Having a Baby, and lives in London, UK. Published in 2010 by Healing Arts Press, Rochester, Vermont. paperback book of 372 pages

The Multiple Sclerosis Association of America has a lending library and it is cost free as they will send you a postage paid bag to return the books. These three books really have a lot of useful information and practical research for both newly diagnosed and progressive patients as well. I would rate these the top three MS resource books in my library.

Gabriella
          Last edited by Gabriella7; 10-14-2011, 12:11 PM.
          Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
          Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Comment

More titles--these are personal accounts by people with MS:

Bruce Cummings, writing under the pseudonym W. N. P. Barbellion, The Journal of a Disappointed Man (1919)
            (The author lived from 1889 to 1919 and wrote one of the best known early accounts by someone with MS)

Terri Garr, Speedbumps: Flooring It through Hollywood (2005) - Account by the actress/dancer
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Dr. Doidge has expanded his work since The Brain That Changes Itself to another, The Brain's Way of Healing, that speaks to brain energy and neuroplasticity, including therapies for MS. I found this great Q+A from him on its contents:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
              Last edited by SuzE-Q; 01-24-2015, 10:02 AM. Reason: Correct book names
              Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Thanks SuzE, I may have to get that book!!
                Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Thanks to everyone. I'm gonna have to go to the book store & check out what they have.

Peace
                  The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

That's my son's words of wisdom to me! ! lol

Comment

Understanding the Unique Role Of Fatigue In Multiple Sclerosis
                    by: J. Lamar Freed, Psy.D.

This is not a book, but an article. Several members here recommend it. It is quoted in the following thread:
                    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                    Last edited by Parsi; 01-18-2016, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I have read many of Nancy Mairs books. "Waist High in the World" is about life experienced from a wheel chair. I like all her books but they are not all about her MS struggle. Many of them are. She is sharp, articulate and unafraid to tell things as she experiences them. Here are her books:

Plaintext (1986) Remembering the Bonehouse (1989) Carnal Acts (1990) Ordinary Time (1993) Voice Lessons (1994) Waist-High in the World: A Life Among the Nondisabled (1996) A Troubled Guest: Life and Death Stories (2001) Essays Out Loud: On Having Adventures & A Necessary End (CD) (2004)

"A Dynamic God: Living an Unconventional Catholic Faith (2007)
                      Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Thank you Parsi! This is very useful to everyone and I love it. I will share this to my friends as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X