Thread: My friend who has hydro

Community Member

Default My friend who has hydro

My friend that I am asking everyone to pray for, is going to have a shunt series done this Thursday. I recently talked to her, and I discussed what was going on with her. Her problem is that her body produces too much CSF. We talked and she said that her doctor has adjusted the shunt to the highest pressure setting that it can go to, and she is still having headaches. She said that they are not as bad, but that are still there, enough for her to have to take Topamax for them. I was thinking, since the programmable shunts seem to not able to be able to keep up with the drainage, why could they not just put two shunts in and run them down behind each ear and have them connect in the chest area, and have them drain into her abdomen? Am I thinking way too much into this, is this a crazy idea that would have no way of working, or would it actually work. She has asked me to remind her to ask her doctor when she goes in to have the shunt series this Thursday. If anyone has any ideas as to how they could treat her problem with her body making too much CSF and the shunt not being able to keep up, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post them here. Also, please keep praying for her!!! THANKS!!!

Community Member

If you or someone you know has two shunts that are draining your ventricles, please respond!! She is going to the doctors on Thursday and I would like to be able to tell her that someone has had it done. If you know that this will not work due to experience, please respond. I would just like other thoughts on this idea.

My son has 2 shunts; would i recommend 2 shunts, only a neurosurgeon can make that choice and the reason is 1 shunt has its troubles, as in many with hydro, but 2 is double trouble; and for my son it is the removal and replacing of 2 shunts; at this time my son is over draining,,, the "Y" you are talking about is possible but never recommended by my sons neurosurgeons the 2 into one draining line clogs, and revisions can be from clogs..
    Wishing the best to you and your friend
    Deborah

Community Member

Well, she did not get good news. She had an MRI done the other day and she found out that her shunt is not working at all. So her doctor decided to wait a week to perform the surgery. He said that he has other surgeries that day, and that she could wait a week!!!! Her eyes are so dilated, I have no idea how she is able to stand the headaches. She goes in for surgery this Thursday, and her doctor is hoping to be able to poke more holes in the cyst that is causing her to not be able to drain fluid properly. He also said that he is going to try to either move the drainage part of the shunt, higher up in her abdomen, into her heart or into her lung. She is really needing the prayers.

UTC12 I have two shunts. Both are non-programmable lowest pressure types. I nolonger remember who makes them. I've also had a Third Ventriculostomy and both shunts have been revised many, many times. I was first shunted over 15 years ago. I have lived with a headache that ranges from, it's there but, the pains not to bad up to a 12 on the 0 to 10 scale. Yea sometimes it's that bad.
    I hope your friend doesn't wind up like me.

My prayers go out to your friend.

Community Member

Thank you everyone for the prayers. The doctor went in and found that the cyst had reformed, and the shunt was not draining. He went in, removed the cyst and cleaned out her ventricles. They clamped off the shunt for 24 hours to see if her ventricles would drain and they would!!! She is now living shunt free!!!! Truly amazing news and many prayers were answered!!!!

Community Member

Well, it looks like the cyst has reformed and that she is going to need the shunt anyways. They have schedule to have it put in this Tuesday (3-27-12), and I hope and pray that this will fix her problems and that she will no longer have complications with the shunt or headaches in general. All prayers are appreciated!!!