Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasonal Seizures Starting

Hi Folks,

I hope all is going well for each and everyone of you. I can tell that the fall and winter weather is headed our way because my sz. are increasing like they do every yr. at this time. I could never figure out why I always have
    more sz. in the fall and winter and less sz. in the spring and summer. I've heard that it's do because there's less light in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer. My Epi calls this type of sz. "Seasonal Seizures"
    So far I've had 18 sz. since the beginning of September and I've noticed that they are lasting longer than they do in the spring and summer. I sure wish I could find out the real reason why this is going on but my Epi hasn't
    really been able to explain it to me I think she is a little confused about it also. Here's wishing You Well and May God Bless You!

Sue
    Last edited by Porkette; 10-05-2011, 03:37 PM.

Seasonal Seizure

Hi Sue -
    Well the seasonal seizure(s) are at it again? I'm sad you are having to experience them so frequently. For a long time I had the same thing occur to me with the season, especially day light savings time changes. Recently, with medication add-on's "Lyrica" which cost as much as gold it seems I have stopped and am going thru the season's carefully without having them. This doesn't mean I am seizure free I still have my "blurb's" God Bless Kevin

Comment

I have read here that it may be due to less light(sunlight)
      Lorraine (lor)

Comment

Hi Lor,

This is what I have heard also but what puzzles me is I'm under bright lights all day long at work and that's when I'm having most of my sz. I've heard that is do to the lack of ceritone (sp?) that's triggering these sz. all I know
        is that the aura (sp) sz. are starting like crazy and often they lead into an absence sz. Just this past Saturday I had 3 of them and I'm getting a little angry about it especially when my epi has told me this is leading to more brain
        damage. I hope nobody else has this problem and I wish all of you only the best. May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

I don't know if it's because of the change in seasons, but I'm definitely having an increase in seizures lately. I've had to have an increase in my dosage of Topamax. Hopefully that will do the trick and bring them back down. I always hate having to raise my dosage. I always am happy when I am able to lower it, although that has rarely been the case for me.
          Firehorse
          *fire*rodeo

Comment

I have a daughter with some neurological issues and autumn was always a bad time for her. I always figured it was allergies, and I am certain it was a contributing factor, but not the whole story. I do know that she needs to use a big 10,000 lux lightbox (has broad spectrum lighting mimicking sunlight) in the mornings. Here is another thought - she requires such a large quantity of oral vitamin D3. She didn't seem to be absorbing the regular kind and the doctor has us buying a liquid form of it. Next, she has some polymorphism hindering the vitamin D's uptake into her cells. So, maybe that has to do with her autumn problem as well - the waning sunlight. But I don't know. I am just throwing out some thoughts that pertain to one of my own daughters.

"Naomi"

Comment

Hi Firehorse,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also having an increase in sz. I know that taking vitamin B12 has helped me a little and I also remember that when I was taking tompamax my sz. increased like crazy. Try to get around some bright light
              and see if this helps you at all. Wishing You Well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Hi Naomi,

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is having neurological problems. Using the light box should help her out. If your daughter is going through puberty this may lead to harder times for her do to her hormones changing every month. I know
                I had a hard time when I went through this. Try giving your daughter vitamin B12 500 mcg. once a day and cut back the starch and carbs. in her diet this may help reduce her sz. You might want to put her on the ketogenic diet to help her.
                I wish your daughter and You only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Howdy Firehorse!

Be on the lookout for mood swings.

I was taken off of Topamax because of them.

Originally posted by Firehorse View Post
                  I don't know if it's because of the change in seasons, but I'm definitely having an increase in seizures lately. I've had to have an increase in my dosage of Topamax. Hopefully that will do the trick and bring them back down. I always hate having to raise my dosage. I always am happy when I am able to lower it, although that has rarely been the case for me.
                  Dave ©¿©¬
                  Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
                  www.howdydave.com

Comment

Working...
                  X