Thread: Taking daily shots

Distinguished Community Member

Default Taking daily shots

As many folks know my family has been involved with a youth group for kids with type one diabetes. We made this to promote the camp. During the video the "life time camper and counselor" Steven is my son and my daughter appears in several spots. She is hard to miss as she has Alopecia Totalis this is an autoimmune disease that causes all her hair to fall out so she always wears a bandana.

I had sent this around as an email and Agate thought that it might be inspirational to those of us that have to to take shots everyday. Both of my kids are type 1 diabetics Steven since he was about 3 and Missy was Dx on her 8th birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfBcXeR-yto
    Last edited by Gary; 10-03-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thanks, Gary..watched it this morning. Wonderful!!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Thanks Gary, I watched and it really is sad and yet the camp is such a positive things for the children, and that helps the sadness.
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm so glad you decided to post this. I don't know how many times I've read posts by people with MS whose main problem about the ABCR drugs is the shot they'll need to give themselves or have someone give them.

Even if it's just one shot a week (Avonex), they're battling against a fear of shots that is pretty severe. I've often thought of how people with Type 1 diabetes learn to do their shots, even as kids.

Maybe seeing a bunch of kids matter-of-factly giving themselves shots will help.

And just looking at that spectacular scenery is soothing.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Thank you, Gary, if they can I can:)
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Thanks for sharing this Gary. My 15 years old nephew has diabetes, diagnosed at 4 years old. Wish he could have gone to something like this camp. He's doing great now with a pump, but it was hard at first.
    The area the camp is in is beautiful and looks almost exactly like the area my daughter lives in, but she's in California.
    You have a family to be proud of!

Joan

Thanks everybody. We are very proud of our kids. My son is well on his way to being a MD and my daughter, the kid who was going to move to the big city and have a "life" bombed out of community college came to me and asked to borrow $500 to go to school to get her CNA license went back to college to get her bachelors in nursing and works in the intensive care unit and is becoming a certified diabetic educator. As he was big in the FFA in high school several people tried to get him to attend veterinary school he said he grew up rolling around in the manure and snow with sick animals and he wants his patients to TELL him how they feel in a clean office!

The camp is located in central Idaho in the Sawtooth mountains in a place called Stanley. Often on of the coldest spots in the country. Our son is flying to Indiana this morning to a seminar on new camp procedures for kids with diabetes. Starting 2 years ago my wife started cooking for the camp for the kids with celiac disease. I also wanted to mention that the camp director Don Scott died this past summer in a mountain climbing accident on Gannet peak in Wyoming.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Awwwww, so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Don Scott
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Thanks Sally he was a terrific person and a long time family friend.
    Here is a link telling about him. He is one of the main reasons both our kids went into the medical field.
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...f-passion.html

I take insulin to manage my diabetes but I have to say that it is partly due to laziness I could probably do a lot of it with diet the oral meds are too hard on my kidneys. But my blood sugar is so well controlled that the Dr says to keep doing what ever I am doing as I am the poster child for managing type 2 diabetes. Also to be honest I have never been able to give myself a shot in the stomach it is not suppose to hurt as much but I just cant get myself to do it.