Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: went to the dog shelter........oh my!

Distinguished Community Member

Question went to the dog shelter........oh my!

well I resisted for 2 whole weeks! finally went to see the 5 cocker spaniel's today. we took ours with us for a meet & greet doggie thing. kinda wild to have 6 of them all tangled up in leashes! turns out our vet treated all of them (they were removed from the home of a hoarder & totally neglected). we are taking our dog to the vet this week & will ask him about the one we MIGHT take

wondering if I've totally lost my brain cells?.

Pati, that is so neat!!!! it will be hard picking out which one. good luck, can't wait to hear more.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

We just took out jack russel for a shot & check-up. While there we found our german shepherd was due for a shot. When done we took little Minnie home & 20 minutes later took big Candie. The big one is the sweet one that lets anyone do anything but before the vet does anything he has to put on a muzzle on Minnie.
    Lorraine (lor)

well my housemate isn't too excited to adopt another dog,but I know he won't refuse me! we have decided on the youngest one,she's 6 which is about the same age as ours. and the ONLY one of the 5 that Freckles went for!

It will all depend on how the 2 of them get along when we make another visit & they can be off leash without all the others.

I've spoken to the vet's office staff & they said these are the sweetest dogs they have ever encountered. now I would never describe Freckles as sweet.

I feel so badly for the old man that had them removed by the sheriff. I got the impression he had MANY dogs. I cannot stand to watch the TV show about animal hoarder's,it's just too sad.

I feel if this is meant to be it will work out. it's all up to Freckles @ this point.

BTW Freckles used to be called Buttons in case you're wondering.

wish me luck!

I think that is great that your doing this, I got our oldest and biggest dog from the shelter. the other one my son got from I believe an abusive owner.

I don't know what I would do without them they are for sure my best friends..

I have thought often about doing volunteer work at the shelters here these poor animals just need someone to love..
    It would just be so hard to leave them there I would want them all. I guess that is how hoarders get started..

Linda

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pati I am so happy you are getting a new furbaby to love. I am planning to rescue also but am think about fostering a little, one small dog at a time. Don't know if I would be able to give a dog away once we had it for a while.

well everything put off until tomorrow,vet couldn't make it in today & I refuse to see his associate.

thanks for all the support! I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out if we should do this or not? more responsiblity for me of course. I'm in such pain the past few days I question if I need more tasks? well I realize I'm a big worry wart so will just have to be patient awhile longer. I also tend to analyze everything far too much!

Chris, I know I couldn't foster a dog,I just get too emotionally attached. I nearly broke down explaining to the shelter director how Rags had to be put down last Dec. she remembered Rags of course & has waived all adoption fees (once again!)she also said cocker's can live to be 20-22yrs old! I said that would outlive us......

It's a hard decision to make..

I have been wanting to foster dogs a lot here lately, I think because I have found that I like dogs so much more then most people. I have 2 of my own as it is they are both Lab mix the male "suede" (now you know where my user-name comes from) Is about 9 and isn't pet friendly I'm sorry to say it took him some time to get use to our having "Lady" but he has though it has taken him a few years.

I know he would never accept another in the house and it wouldn't be a good environment to foster in. I know myself too I wouldn't want to let them go.

However when I see all the suffering so many of these poor fur babies have gone through I believe I could do it knowing they were going to a loving home.

Not easy I know but I know what a loving caring person you are from reading so many of your post and I know you will make the right choice no matter which it is.

Linda

thanks Linda. I've decided against getting another dog. I have enough to deal with as it is & after nearly 3 years my cocker is very bonded to me,she started out trying to chew our faces off & just recently she actually crawls up to me @ night & gives me kisses. (trying to tell me something?)

it's a no kill shelter so I'm sure someone will adopt all of them,it just might take awhile.

Buttons,

I know it wasn't an easy choice to make, I'm sure it was the right one though for all concerned.

My suede is starting to really show his age and I just couldn't put him through it, I watch my daughters dog for her sometimes and that is enough on him and enough for me to know I couldn't handle the stress it would create taking in another animal.

Sometimes it isn't easy making the right choice but then again we are so very fortunate to have the fur-babies that we have I know without mine I don't know how I would get through life most days.

Hugs,
    Linda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast