Thread: Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy

Default Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy

My daughter is scheduled in October for this procedure. I cannot seems to find any of the old posts on this board. Can anyone who has had this please let me know how it went? She is 27. Thanks

I had this procedure when I was 25. Depending on the hospital, they have certain protocols that they follow in trying to get the body used to draining the CSF through a hole in the third ventricle and not a shunt. For me, it did not work out and I had to have a shunt put in, but i was battling a lot at that time including an infection, compromised immune system, and a few other issues, so that might have contributed to it not being right for me. I know there are people on this board who had a lot of trouble with shunt failure, had the ETV done and have been fine since. It does require annual visits to a NS just like if you had a shunt. I wish your daughter well on her surgery and hope for success.

Distinguished Community Member

Default v.p.shunt info

check out the link

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21150763 - useful info on v.p. shunts
    Colloid cyst removed from 3rd ventricle endoscopically oct 07 shunt inserted late oct 07.

I had that done years ago after already having a VP shunt. Within a few months it wasn't doing me any good so they put in my second shunt.
    Hopefully she'll do better then I did. I've read of some who had it done and they turned out great.

I would like to report that the surgery went very well and she just had her three month followup. The improvements in her life are many. The neurosurgeon at New York Presbyterian was wonderful. His record with these surgeries has been very good with only a few do overs to date. Most of his patients are going into their 12 + years without complication. I am hoping and praying this will be the case for her. She was not a good candidate for a shunt so this approach was a life saver. If anyone has an questions pleasefeel free to send me a message.

Distinguished Community Member

Smile

Check out the link

V.P. shunt being inserted during surgery

N.B. NOT FOR THE FEINT HEARTED

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=A2E8x...%3DA2E8xFQ3aQY

Colloid cyst removed from 3rd ventricle endoscopically oct 07 shunt inserted late oct 07.