Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apparently, PM doc has Dxed me with fibrimyalgia

Exclamation Apparently, PM doc has Dxed me with fibrimyalgia

Okay, so I thought I knew all I needed to for my appointment for my Psych Eval for Disability, but I was totally thrown for a loop by something the doctor (and I use that term loosely) said to me. As I think I told you, he barely took his nose out of his notes and notepad the entire interview. Well, one thing he
    said to me fairly early on after I gave him my list of meds, with his nose buried in his notes, mind you, was, "You have fibromyalgia?" I first denied it, because *I* myself had never alleged that I had fibro, and he repeated it a few more times. Then it dawned on me and I said, "That must be the Dx that my PM doctor put in my disability report," ~~ but not before I had denied it several times. Before all that, he had asked me if I had arthritis, and I said yes, and when asked where, I said, my neck, shoulders, back, hips, and knees; oh, and I have carpal tunnel in both wrists.

I guess it makes some sense. I mean, let's face it, I have been going to PM since 2002, have problems with many areas, and I have actually wondered to myself whether or not I did have fibro. My guess is that perhaps the PM doc hasn't come outright and given me this Dx is that some people, once they are given a label like that, they suddenly feel worse? I guess nothing has really changed, just that I acted like an idiot when I started out by denying that I had fibro.

My main concern is just that this guy may think, since I was able to answer some of his questions, my psych conditions have no effect on my life. He asked if I had nightmares and flashbacks about the fire and I answered in the affirmative to both. Really, what more does he need??? :o
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Distinguished Community Member

Smiling angel - I am sorry to hear of your DX - I suffer from fibro, and it's not fun. It took my doc. a long time because it is uncommen in men but S... happens. I wish you the very best with SS, having worked there , I am sure you know the drill. Anyway, Good luck and I hope you have a good PM doc, If you are just seeing a regular doc, I would suggest that you find a good PM doc and establish a relationship as they all seem to be running for the hills due to fear, IMHO. Good luck, I hope that Tom is doing well, and is at home, And I will keep both of you in my prayers.
    blessings
    Alex44

Hi Alex - I have been seeing a pain management doctor since 2002, when I had my fusion surgery. I have the members of BT to thank for doing so; they are the ones who urged me to find a good, local pm doc, especially since my surgeon was over an hour away in Philadelphia - Dr Todd Albert at Rothman Institute. He is now head of the place - he was wonderful! Anyhow, today was a hard day, as we had lots to do and I woke up feeling very achy, and the pain meds and muscle relaxors I take do not do much to help the aches and pains...Tom is home, doing well, and going to a Partial Day Program Mon, Wed, and Friday from 8:30 to 3:30. This is good for me too, as it gives me a much needed break :ambivalence: .

Take care, Alex, and I hope things are getting better for you in all aspects of your life ~~~~

Hugs, S.A.

** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Cool good to things are going well

Hi and good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the aches and pains, I have to take my meds at 5-6AM to get out of bed by 9 am so I well know the feeling. I am delighted that Tom is doing well. Ya'll are in our prayers.
    Blessings
    Alex44

S.A. Fibro has a specific test used to determine if you have it. There are 17 trigger points and you have to react positively to I think it is 13 of them to be DX with fibro so it is no wonder you didn't know. Sorry to hear about the aches and pains you are dealing with. It must be the time of year or weather as my pain levels are up too. It is good to hear Tom is home and to find out he has therapy that gives you some time for yourself. Hang in there and hopefully you are feeling less pain soon.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Community Member

http://www.aan.com/elibrary/neurolog...00905050-00024

Smiling Angel, this might be of help. I read it a few months ago in my Neurologist's office. But even before that I have always thought Fibro was somehow connected with an hyperexcitable central nervous system. And it is no wonder with the surgeries we have had. I hope it helps a little. For myself it is Central Pain Syndrome. Anyway, I would bring it up with your PM doc.
    C3/C4 ACDF - 2004, C5/C6 ACDF - 2006
    L5/S1 - Facet Degeneration
    Lumbar Facet Rhizotomy L4, L5, S1 (left side) 2007
    Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005

Hi and thanks for your replies, Mark and Kathi! Kathi, thank you for that informative link! I am getting along as best I can, making the best of our new life in our new home. I will try to drop in here every now and then to see how you all are doing. Hang in there all! Jacquie

Community Member

You are welcome Jacquie. :) I was just thinking it might help your case as it is more involved than just a "catch all" diagnosis so to say.
    C3/C4 ACDF - 2004, C5/C6 ACDF - 2006
    L5/S1 - Facet Degeneration
    Lumbar Facet Rhizotomy L4, L5, S1 (left side) 2007
    Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005

Jacquie

Hi I am happy to see Tom is home and doing better I am sure it is a lot on you though no matter how glad you are to have him home..

Like you my Dr. never came out and told my I have FM and that was my rheumatologist, I heard it when I went for my Psych. eval. I wouldn't worry about the evaluation to much I didn't think the Dr. was paying much attention to me either but gave a rather full repoprt and it was accurate he saw things I wasn't aware he noticed.
    I was rather surprised at the report he gave SS.

Know I am thinking of you and yours and hope that things only get better for you all each and every day.

Linda

Linda, thanks for your kind words of support. I finally have an appointment with my PM doc this afternoon, and I'll most certainly be asking him about this. The psych interview must have gone the way I needed it to, because I found out on Saturday that I was approved for disability! I am going to start a new thread right now to let everyone know! That is certainly a relief for me and my family!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast