Thread: Restoring a sticky from the archived board?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Restoring a sticky from the archived board?

For years a member of the MS board, xo++ (Mark), posted updates on MS research there, and his thread about conventional and alternative MS therapies was a sticky. When the newer board came along, that thread seemed out of date, he was no longer around, and people felt that the number of sticky threads needed to be reduced.

We took a poll and several stickies, including his, were removed. They're still viewable in the archived board.

Mark has very kindly offered to update the information. There's a new poll going on about whether the members want to restore that sticky thread.

In the meantime could the sticky thread be restored temporarily so that Mark can use it?

The thread is this one:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...ead.php?t=6846
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Hello agate!

I don't know if it's possible to restore a thread from the archives back into the regular forums. Mike would be the one who would have the capacity to do that if it could be done. Mods can move or combine current threads in the forums, but the archived ones are trickier.

Last night I was thinking of another way to do this when I read your other thread about the poll. For the time being, why don't you put the link to Mark's thread as you have it above my post (http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...ead.php?t=6846) into the useful websites sticky thread? That way, Mark could add to it, it would be able to be commented on and it would be easier to get to.

I'm sorry that's all I can think of right now :).
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 12-06-2014 at 08:20 AM.
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

3. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator #7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello agate!

I don't know if it's possible to restore a thread from the archives back into the regular forums. Mike would be the one who would have the capacity to do that if it could be done. Mods can move or combine current threads in the forums, but the archived ones are trickier.

Last night I was thinking of another way to do this when I read your other thread about the poll. For the time being, why don't you put the link to Mark's thread as you have it above my post (http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...ead.php?t=6846) into the useful websites sticky thread? That way, Mark could add to it, it would be able to be commented on and it would be easier to get to.

I'm sorry that's all I can think of right now :).
    Thanks for the prompt reply! Unfortunately it's not possible to post in an archived thread. I doubt that Mark could edit in it either even though he was the author of the thread. It's my understanding that anything archived can't be altered in any way.

I tried to edit a thread of mine in the archived forum. It's not possible.

5. The following user says "thanks"

Hello agate,

I don't think I made myself clear, I'm sorry. I was suggesting to put the link to the archived thread in the "Useful Websites" sticky that's at the top of the current MS forum of threads.

If you look at this thread : http://braintalkcommunities.org/show...arted-by-Prop1 I was trying to do this for the Mito group. That was the only way it could be done back then. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Mark could also copy and paste each of his posts into a new thread and then that could be easily made into a sticky. That way, it would be under his name, too.
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 12-06-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

7. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thanks for explaining. I understand what you're talking about now, I think.

The thread in question is 4 pages long and the material in it contains many links. It would be far easier to work with if the whole thread could be restored and reactivated on the active board, so that the thread author could edit previous posts and add more posts.

I hope that that will be possible but if it isn't, it isn't.

Blog Entries

It's not a simple task, and most won't attempt it...but that's never stopped me from trying It will take time though ... and with finals in two weeks I won't have the time to do it right away.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

10. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not a simple task, and most won't attempt it...but that's never stopped me from trying It will take time though ... and with finals in two weeks I won't have the time to do it right away.
    Thanks so much for the prompt reply and offer of help. I do recall how difficult it was to transport threads from the archive.

As it turns out, Mark is willing to do a new thread for us and will copy and paste what he wants from the archived thread.

12. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Ok nice :) I've been tinkering with this and it's quite tedious. Lots of manual changes to stuff that I didn't remember existed
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

14. The following user says "thanks"