Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Caregiving.com webcast about preparing the holidays

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Lisa)))))) ~

I am happy to hear that your scrap booking group is reorganizing! Keeping up with your book club. And designating Fridays as your own! Awesome!

It's great that you're teaching your children independence. They should know how to make their own breakfast or a sandwich. They should be responsible for keeping their rooms neat and clean. Those are independent living skills, which will be valuable to them as adults. (And their wives will thank you! )

And it's a super idea for you and Brian to have a monthly date, night out. Being close to home is a reassurance for you too. Something to look forward to doing. Terrific idea.

About the level of pay for EA's ~ my guess is that there is a standard pay scale for various positions in the school district. Teacher's wages used to be based on years of experience, and in our state, accruing more college units during the Summer, as well as tenure within the district.

An appropriate and equitable rate of pay for EA's should be based upon job requirements and the skills and training necessary to meet them. A Sp. Ed. EA, who has been trained in G-tube feeding, for example, should make more than an EA without that training/skill. A Sp. Ed. EA would likely be trained in proper lifting/transferring of students, as well as in medical procedures, recognizing seizures or allergic reactions, etc. More training=more pay. A library EA doesn't have to be trained in any of these areas.

In your spare time, while you are running for and win the seat on the school board, you might consider that you could voice your opinion now as a parent of both a special ed student and regular ed students. Gather together more parents of Sp. Ed. students to speak up with you at the Board meeting. Bring in some Sp. Ed. EAs and let them tell the board about their training and their strenuous job requirements.

This would bring the subject to light, could initiate change, and would be helpful to your campaign for a seat on the Board in the future.

I recommend researching the pay scales for your school district, which should be public record. It's your tax dollars, after all. Then take it from there.

((((((Donna)))))) ~

Were the raisins interesting in the meatloaf?!?

My Jim used to cook a lot in the early years of our union. His roasted potatoes are scrumptious. He used to make Chicken Diane, with a Diane sauce of brandy, green onion, parsley, garlic, veggie broth, ghee, dijon mustard. I could never duplicate his recipe! Although he loves to watch cooking shows, he no longer rattles the pots and pans.

My dad enjoyed barbequing steaks on the grill, baking potatoes, and making a salad for Sunday family visits. And he learned from my uncle how to make pizza from scratch. On Saturdays, my dad would visit the Italian grocer, get all the ingredients, and all day Sunday, he would make the sauce and create these amazing pizzas for Sunday family visits. He also loved to make pancakes for us on Saturday mornings, and popcorn on Friday nights. Every kernel was popped to our astonishment!

Mouthwatering Memories ...

Sending lots of HUGS and LOVE to both of you and to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

Yes, I should write a letter about the EA pay...will have to wait until January though, but still. I get the feeling her van driver is becoming a bit burnt out from the stress. They were short one person at the beginning of the year she had said and then they did hire someone but there is a learning curve I am sure. Only so many of them do the suctioning and more medical stuff too. She works at the high school (C is at the middle school yet) but she is so nice that I sure hope she is still there when C gets to the high school in three years. I think it would be nice for Caitlin to already have someone who knows her well when she moves up. We do already know the high school CD teacher since she teaches the summer school class that Caitlin took the past 2 years. As a parent I want the EAs to be happy in their job and paid well so that there is no resentment to the students in their care. We have been lucky so far, all her EAs have been great. It should be easy to look up the pay rates, the local newspaper did a series last year on public worker pay....even published everybody's pay...still not too sure how I feel about that part of it! Like, EVERYONE! Every teacher, administrator, gov't official, public worker, their salary was published in the paper and online in a database!

OMG, raisins in meatloaf, blech! :) I am not a meatloaf fan anyway, but whoa....were you able to eat it? I never forget the 'chickenpfeffer' that Brian made one time. It smelled so delicious, until we tasted it. He actually stopped eating and I still kept eating since he had gone to all this trouble to make it and when I finally noticed he wasn't eating and I asked him why....we just laughed! It was NASTY! It was supposed to hasenpfeffer (with rabbit) but he used chicken instead since at the time (we weren't married yet), I didn't eat hunting meat. We think it must have been the sour cream that made it gross but we will never know for sure since we won't ever try that again! I usually plan grilled meals for the weekends and he will cook the food on the grill. He actually cooks really good (his mom is an awesome cook!) so I make sure that we teach the boys so they will know how to cook too. The wives won't love their lack of cleaning skills but at least they will be able to help their wives with the cooking! LOL!

I would definitely love to Skype sometime! I will probably have to reset up an account with Skype though, I have not done it since probably 2006-7 when Caitlin was in the hospital for some shunt issues. We skyped with her teacher at school a few times and also with Brian's parents. Seems like that was so long ago! It would be great to chat live! Well, I have to go now, Brian cut up Brandon's buck and it is all sitting on the counter waiting for me to bag it, wrap it and freeze it. We had Brandon's band concert tonight and we put into practice scaling back. Brian stayed home with Caitlin & Logan and Tyler & I attended the concert. I filmed it with my video camera so they can watch it later. Caitlin was naughty at school today and I think it was from being up later last night so he stayed home so she could get to bed early....and Logan is just too naughty to sit for an hour. :)

Hope you all have a happy Friday!
    Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12