Thread: Welcoming New Members

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Welcoming New Members

((((((HUGS TO ALL)))))) ~

Do you remember how you felt the first time you posted on a BrainTalk forum? Were you nervous, anxious, hopeful, desperate, scared, needing understanding, support and advice?

Whatever your feelings were at that moment, they are most likely mirrored in every new member, who posts here.

When you were a new member at BT, other members must have responded to you, for you to continue in the BT community.

I remember being warmly welcomed on the Child Neurology forum and quickly embraced into the family. And I had all of those feelings I described above, and more. But, those feelings dissipated as I realized that I was among kindred spirits.

Here, at BT, I was with people who “get it,” who were living a life similar to mine, with the same kinds of issues and concerns. It was comforting and reassuring to know that I was not alone, and that others cared enough to help me.

And while I don’t respond to every new member’s post, I try to respond to as many of them as I can, with at least a Welcome and a Hug. I often say, “I don’t know anything about your (insert issue here), but I hope someone who does will be along soon.”

But, most often no one else does come along. And the new member doesn’t return or post again.

What would happen if we all made an effort to welcome new members?

No one would have zero replies to her/his post.

No one would feel ignored or neglected.

New members will return and reply and become part of the BT community, because people here showed that they cared. If only just to say, “Welcome to BrainTalk!”

Of course, we all have our own overwhelming issues, but if we could just take a moment to help a new member with her/his overwhelming issue, then we’ll be giving back what we have received here.

How You Can Help to Welcome New Members:

Go to the Home page and check for new member posts, or posts with no replies.

Go to New Posts and check for the same.

Click on those posts, and just type: WELCOME!

NOTE TO MIKE WEINS: Would it be possible for us to have some Welcome smilies/emoticons added to our list? An assortment of 3 or 4, perhaps?

My hope is that we will all make an effort to welcome new members, because if we don’t, our community will not grow. And we all understand the deflating feeling of not receiving responses to our posts.

I pledge to be more aware of new member posts, and to welcome those new members. I hope that you will join me in that pledge!

Love & Light,

Rose

~ In Loving Memory of Our Dear Friend, Barb ~ Moose53 ~
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hmm wonder where are welcome smilies wandered off to I'll see what I can do :)
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Ok I added a couple really quick. Will find some others later on (they're on "the list" now so ... whenever )

=== * groupwelcome (remove space between * and g )

==== : welcome (remove space between : and w )
    === * Welcome (remove space between * and w )
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((HUGS TO ALL)))))) ~

In the past two days, I have welcomed two new BT members. And, as usual, I noticed the lack of welcoming posts from other BT members.

I posted this thread nearly a year ago, and here I am again, bumping it up as a reminder to everyone that we will never revitalize our community, if we do not attend to the needs of new members.

I have read many complaints through the years that our membership is low and our forums are inactive. Most of those complaints come from former members, who can't believe the lack of activity here, compared to the bustling, thriving community we had before.

It's ironic, when former members arrive and exclaim, "I left in (blank) and finally came back. But no one's here! What happened?" What happened is that everyone did the same thing ~ left!

We've had a couple of Forum Feedback threads in which we discussed ways of attracting new members. We had an arcade for awhile, and I think agate and I are the only ones, who played the games. I played so that it would seem that the arcade was being used and would interest other members. We had seasonal skins (backgrounds) for our pages. (Miss those, Mike, by the way! ) We have blogs. Does anyone read the blogs?

We've been looking at dangling the next shiny new thing to attract new members, when what we really should be doing is welcoming, supporting, and embracing new members, when they post here.

We could have 20 new members a day posting here, but they wouldn't stay, if their initial posts were ignored.

New members register and post here, because they or a loved one have a neurological issue or crisis. They need to talk. They need reassurance, information, a kind word. If that isn't forthcoming, why bother to stick around? One post, and they are gone, because they were ignored.

If we truly want to grow our community, and we truly want to serve its purpose, then we need to be there for new members and to reply to their posts.

New BT Member Luck211 posted in the New Member Introductions forum ~ 34, just diagnosed with Parkinson's

New BT Member looby posted in the Aneurysm forum ~ 53, just diagnosed with an Aneurysm

Both of those forums are inactive, and have been for awhile. I don't know anything about Aneurysms, and only a little about Parkinson's. But I do know a lot about neurological issues, and how they impact one's life. So, I am welcoming these members with my best effort to help them.

Even if we just say, Welcome to these members, that is something. That is a connection.

Please take a moment to welcome Luck211 and looby, and then check everyday for posts from new members, and welcome them to our community. It only takes a few minutes to extend the hand of friendship.

Remember when you first came here and the friendship offered to you, which has kept you here all of these years.

Thank you so much ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

ditto to everything you said, dear Rose. I'm not well again, but I WILL be back as soon as possible. Yes, I told every Nurse and DR. that stood still long enough about braintalk! My mind never left this precious place. I'M not ready to give up on my second home. I love you all and hope any visiter will stick around for awhile and find out what a wealth of information braintalk has!!

my love to all and welcome to everybody that walks thru the door. YES, we are open ! Gotta go so I can get well

my love,
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Blog Entries

((((((Julia)))))) ~

I just saw your other post that you've been in the hospital for 7 days with pneumonia! Bless your heart! I'm so sorry! I hope you have great home health care nurses and therapists. May you recover completely and rapidly.

Sending healing prayers for you, dear one. And lots of these ~

Love & Light,

Rose