Thread: Going Insane and feel i might have an MND or a serious illness

Default Going Insane and feel i might have an MND or a serious illness

Dear All,

I have been going through a tough time for the past 4 months, my journey downwards started when i got a eye infection twice in a span of 1 month and my eye doctor suggested that i might have an auto immune disorder due to which he suggested i go and get a full health check to be sure, i went in for a full health check during which they did not find anything wrong with me other than the fact that i had gallstones which was totally unrelated but an added headache for me, then came the feeling of heaviness in my arms which started to bother me and pushed me to go see a neurologist, he did all the standard strength test and everything seemed fine and sent me on my way, the symptoms however didn't improve and next came the twitching, not in one particular place but all over my body, at first they were mild but with time they have gotten worse and certain parts of my body like my left shoulder, hands and feet, knees etc twitch more than the rest of my body, there's also muscle aches and pains that come and go, i also feel that i might have gotten weaker than i was 6 months ago, even though its not fully evident as i can still function the way i used to but i do feel that things i could do easily back then are a bit more challenging now. There's also the occasional swallowing problems which i feel might be related to whats going on or totally unrelated and being caused by my acid reflux for which i have been taking proton pump medication on and off for a few months. Now during all this time i have seen various doctors and atleast 4 different neuro's, i had an MRI around 2 months ago which was normal, had an EMG ( toe to shoulder at various points on left side) and Nerve conduction test ( full body ) came back normal a month and a half ago, before that i had my blood work done ( ANA profile etc ) came back normal. Seems like im getting worse though in the past month, arms hurt and feel weaker, hands feel weaker as well and palms hurt at times and the skin seems thinner, i even feel i might have atrophy in certain muscles such as my hands but can't be sure because at this point the paranoia has taken over and whether or not i have a serious problem, i have convinced myself that i do, something on the lines of ALS, MS or and MND. There's other symptoms as well such as sleeping issues, i wake up a few times at night, my hands and arms fall asleep and get numb at times, feel like i might even have a case of Carpal tunnel, cant think straight, even stutter or slur words but not often. The last thing my Neuro told me was that if i don't feel better i can do another EMG in around 6 months and said nothing is ever 100%, that being said it made everything even worse as before i assumed that with a clean EMG usually you can rule out an MND as EMG's can catch problems much before the symptoms even appear. I would really appreciate any feed or advice on what you think might be going on, or if there is any other conditions that could mimic whats going on.

Thanks

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Ozzcar)))))) ~

Welcome to Braintalk! I'm glad that you found us!

Autoimmune disorders can be difficult to diagnose sometimes, and your symptoms fit into a variety of disorders.

Have the doctors ruled out: Fibromyalgia? Myasthenia Gravis?

The blood work: did it include tests of your thyroid and adrenal glands? Did it include tests for vitamin and mineral deficiencies, especially Vitamin D and B12?

Was a connection between your eye infection and your symptoms ruled out?

Have you considered visiting a Naturopath?

Is it possible that your symptoms could be an adverse side effect of the proton pump meds you've been taking? Use our Drug Info link at the top of the page (far right) to look up your medication.

I would imagine that you're quite frustrated and frightened, and I am so sorry that you are suffering without answers. I wish that I could be of more help to you, and I hope others will see your post and respond. Meanwhile, perhaps you could visit some of our forums, which might correlate to your symptoms, read some posts, read the archives, see whether anything jumps out at you. And post on other forums with your questions. You might be more visible if you post on specific forums.

Wishing you answers and healing ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Thanks for your reply Rose,

Most of the doctors that i have seen did not suspect Fibromyalgia or Myasthenia Gravis, however my Rehab doctor who i see for neck and back pain prescribed be medication which helps with Fibromyalgia, unfortunately the meds made me extremely drowsy and didn't have the effect that i expected.

In reference to the Blood work i had my Thyroid tests done yesterday and they came back Normal, the doctor was sure i didn't have issues related to adrenal glands.

In regards to Vitamin deficiencies , the doctors didn't find any issues apart from the fact that my Vitamin D levels for extremely low 3 months ago for which i was given medication, the last time i checked the levels were back up to normal but i have to keep taking them for another 2 or 3 months.

My eyes have not encountered any problems for the past 3 months apart from the first 2 infections, due to which the doctors do not suspect the relation, the doctor who initially said it might be due to an auto immune issue later said it was possible it was due to allergies as well.

i will definitely look into seeing a Naturopath and also check regarding the medication i am taking.

Its worse that today my left hand all the way down from my shoulder has been feeling weak and hurting a bit, a very uncomfortable feeling, at times it feels like im actually loosing control of my hand even though i still have use of it.

Thanks again for your feedback !

Take a look at dyautonomia. It is a malfunction of the autonomic nervous system.
    :) Pat