Thread: Dentures - Any Info?

Distinguished Community Member

Question Dentures - Any Info?

Hi All - I got my funds - aost all of my teeth will come out on the 23 of this month - 7 in all - Thankfully, I will be under general anesthesia - I will get immediate dentures - after i heal - I will get a top denture and a bottom partial. Any advice - what should I ask my PM doc. for? (probably useless - but if you don't ask, you don't get)-Anyone with advice - Please reply as I am scared to death.
    Blessed Be
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Hi Alex, at least your teeth won't be a problem any more. I would talk to the pain doctor about when to take your medication heading into surgery and then what pain control will be used following surgery. Many surgeons aren't aware of chronic pain and will only give you enough pain medication to get you through the healing stage. Your pain doctor should be able to give you a plan on when to restart your pain meds. Good luck with the tooth removal and I hope you get a great fit with the dentures.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Alex)))))) ~

Take a deep breath and try to relax. I hope I can allay your fears.

My husband had all of his teeth removed and wears full (upper and lower) dentures. He asked me to tell you his story so that you will be reassured. He was terrified of dental work, but when it became serious, I forced him to see our dentist. Dentists have wonderful numbing agents these days, and Jim was fully awake for the removal of his teeth. He was stunned that it wasn't painful.

The temporary denture, after the removal of his teeth, provided pressure to reduce swelling (which is typically the source of dental discomfort after a procedure) and to prevent bleeding. You will have stitches. They don't hurt and will be covered by your denture.

Jim had NO PAIN. He even had two root canals to implant pegs to hold his bottom denture. NO PAIN.

Jim doesn't have an exceptionally high pain threshold, but he can tolerate a lot. I think he took a few Advil, on the advice of the dentist, to reduce inflammation for a few days, but that is it.

My son, Jon, had all of his teeth removed at once in 2009, due to severe decay and overgrown gums (from Dilantin). He was hospitalized, in ICU with bilateral aspiration pneumonia. His primary post surgical issue was bleeding, because the hospitalist kept Jon on prophylactic blood thinner. Of course he was hospitalized during his recovery, and because of the bleeding (he couldn't wear dentures), it took longer for him to heal. But he did heal, with remarkably little pain.

Last year, I spent 6 months visiting my dentist once a week - every 10 days. MAJOR DENTAL WORK. Six years previously, I'd had a ton of work done, including removal of teeth. I have a partial denture, bridges, a couple of highways and canals ... No pain.

Thankfully, I do have a high pain threshold. I've had RA for 42 years and manage my pain with diet, exercise, vitamins/minerals, and topical ointments/balms, and sheer determination, because I have to do what I have to do for my children. I've had 3rd degree burns on my arms. I've had wounds sewed without local numbing. I've given birth to two children. But when I had an abscess on the upper left side of my mouth, I took 4 Advil, and I laid on the sofa, begging God to forgive me for everything I had done wrong, and promising God that I would be the best person in the whole world, if He would just stop the agony.

Dental work, tooth removal, root canals, etc. relieve pain from decay, infections, gum disease, etc. It should be pain relieving rather than pain inducing. Instead of fearing it, look forward to the pain relief you will have, once the offending teeth are out of your mouth. And you'll be able to eat, without fearing pain or breaking a tooth or having a filling fall out. It's RELIEF.

Start today viewing this as a blessing. At last, you will have your dental needs met, and you will be much healthier as a result. Dental/oral health is critical to systemic health. Your entire body will feel better. You will have more energy.

Antibiotics: Please consult with your dentist and physician as to whether you should take an antibiotic (such as the broad spectrum Amoxicillin) one hour prior to your procedure and possibly for 7-10 days thereafter. I have had to do this for every dental procedure for 40 years, because I have RA and a heart murmur.

And if the dentist notes infection during your procedure, s/he may place you on an antibiotic. You might also have a test to determine what bacteria are in your mouth, and then specific antibiotics are identified to treat that bacteria. That is extra (mine was about $120). If you have gum disease, you might have a protocol to treat your gums at home.

Anesthesia: You may not be put under a general, if a short acting anesthetic will be sufficient. Be sure that your dentist is equipped with oxygen, and monitoring of BP and SATS and heart rate.

Does the dentist intend to do all the work, upper and lower, in one session? That seems like far too much to tackle at once. If so, you can ask the dentist to break it up into more office visits. The price for the procedures should be the same. Most dentists charge by procedure. My work was done in quadrants. Ask your dentist for the best and easiest, least painful approach for you.

Have you had x-rays, and has the dentist provided you with an overall plan for the work you need done?

My personal approach to dental work ~ Once I'm in the chair, I consciously imagine my body relaxing, beginning from my head right down to my toes. I drop down my eyebrows and forehead, relax my hands, from their fisted grip, stretch my legs to relax at the knees to the ankles and the toes. Eyes closed the entire time. Then I meditate and pray. Then I remind myself how blessed I am to be able to have my dental needs met. I feel grateful. I feel relieved. I know that it won't be fun, but when it's over, I will be much healthier. That will make it all bearable.

Practice this technique. It works. I promise.

And don't be hesitant to tell your dentist that you are concerned about pain, or that you are fearful. I pray that your dentist is skilled and compassionate, and s/he will alleviate your concerns.

Another deep breath. Anticipate relief, not pain.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Red face

It's normal to be scared.

Alex, how are you holding up? I don't use any numbing at the dentist unless removal is in the works. My dentist is amazed but like I tell her the short term pain nothing compared to the daily pain so I know you will handle any discomfort with little trouble. Earth Mother made an excellent post and I hope it answers many of your questions. The upcoming procedure may seem daunting but you have dealt with pain for years and know how to handle any that comes from the dental work. Like Earth Mother I wonder about all of it being done at one time and think it will be split up into several procedures. Good luck and remember the relief you will feel not to deal with tooth pain every day.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Community Member

Default Not too bad.

Hi Alex,
    I had my uppers removed all at once. I got put to sleep because I'm terrified of dentists. I wore my denture right away with minimal pain. Of course you can't eat much for a few weeks, mashed potatoes, cream of rice stuff like that. I had the lowers removed in two stages, my molars first and then the front ones five years later. My partial was not bad but the full lower is more difficult.

I'm glad I did it, they look great and I can eat most of what I want. I just took my regular meds and tylenol for any swelling. Good luck with it.
    If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
    DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years. ADR c 5/6 Feb. 2018 doing well.
    Back to pain management, fibromyalgia getting worse.

Thank You and Bless you to all the wonderful people who gave me great advice. I am not so scared now and they are starting to hurt (I blew a crown week before last) so I will actually be glad to see them gone - A special thanks to Earth Mothers to Angels - You taking the time to allay my fears - Bless You. Again, thank you to everyone, me and my partner are going on a short (inexpensive) trip shortly before the procedure so I can be nice and relaxed and healthy and De-Stressed. Mark, I don't know how you do it, I was born with 3 sets of teeth so have been undergoing oral surgery, Extractions, everything short of a root canal. I am still scared but thanks to ALL the wonderful people here, not so much. thank you.
    Blessed Be
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Alex)))))) ~

Enjoy your getaway, relax and think beautiful thoughts.

Try not to be scared, Alex. Rely on your faith, and turn over your fears, trusting and believing that all will be right. Spirit will cradle you.

And just another reminder ~ talk to your dentist, honestly, about your fears and concerns, before your procedure starts. Ask questions, such as, "What can I expect after the procedure? Will I have pain?" Establish communication with your dentist.

Remember too, that NO ONE likes to go to the dentist! No One!!! And dentists know this about their profession, so they try to make it more comfortable and reassuring for their patients.

Everything will be fine. And we'll be here to support you.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.