Thread: Help with posting images, avatars?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Help with posting images, avatars?

I've been looking around but haven't found information about how to post images, avatars, or profile pictures. Some of us need training in the basics. There's confusion about attachments as well.

Is there a discussion somewhere that gives details?

There has been an ongoing discussion of it in the MS forum lately but my explanations aren't very good because I really don't know much at all.

I've looked in the vB FAQ section but the information there assumes that we all know about storing our images and how they have to be a certain size, etc. We don't all know this.

Thanks for all that you do for us, moderators and administrators!
    Last edited by agate; 07-25-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Not sure I'll have time tonight to do a write up, I'll start working on it and should have one done by Monday evening unless someone else beats me to it :)
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

To use a Profile Picture
    1. Click on Settings at the top of the page.
    2. The 2nd link down under My Settings is Edit Profile Picture, click on it.
    3. You'll have 2 choices under Custom Profile Picture...
    Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website: where you can copy/paste a link to a picture from another site.
    Option 2 - Upload Image From Your Computer: where you click browse and choose a picture from your computer that you'd like to use.
    Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 64.0 KB (whichever is smaller).

To use an Avatar...
    1. The 3rd link down under My Settings is Edit Avatar, click on it.
    2. You'll have 2 choices under Custom Avatar...
    Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website: where you can copy/paste a link to a picture from another site.
    Option 2 - Upload Image From Your Computer: where you click browse and choose a picture from your computer that you'd like to use.
    Note: The maximum size of your custom image may be no more than 88x88 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

If you have an image that you'd like to use, but it's too big, you can resize it to work. If you need help with resizing, feel free to send it to Mike or me.
    Last edited by Moderator #5; 08-08-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added a bit more.
    It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts.

Moderator #5

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator #5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To use a Profile Picture
    1. Click on Settings at the top of the page.
    2. The 2nd link down under My Settings is Edit Profile Picture, click on it.
    3. You'll have 2 choices under Custom Profile Picture...
    Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 64.0 KB (whichever is smaller).

To use an Avatar...
    1. The 3rd link down under My Settings is Edit Avatar, click on it.
    2. You'll have 2 choices under Custom Avatar...
    Note: The maximum size of your custom image may be no more than 88x88 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

If you have an image that you'd like to use, but it's too big, you can resize it to work. If you need help with resizing, feel free to send it to Mike or me.
    Many thanks, but I'm afraid I still have a question. According to what you say, the image size for a Profile picture has to be 100x100 pixels or 64 KB or less, and for an Avatar it has to be 88x88 pixels or 19.5 KB.

But when I go to Settings and look at what is stated there, a Profile picture can be 120x120 pixels or 100 KB, and an Avatar can be up to 100x100 pixels or 30 KB.

Just wondering if there could be a problem here?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Blog Entries

The dimensions for the settings is correct. The size was increased some time ago. I apologize for not posting the steps, I had them all written up on my desktop and just assumed I posted them

Many thanks to Mod 5 for covering my butt on this one :)
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.