Thread: re-coiling of right ophthalmic carotid aneursym

New Community Member

Default re-coiling of right ophthalmic carotid aneursym

Hi I have just joined this forum and wondered if anyone out there has the same kind of aneurysm.

I had it coiled approximately 4 years ago and I have mostly been very well since. I had a MRI on 15th May and the Consultant Neurosurgeon discovered that it has compacted. Following angiogram in June and I was informed that I would benefit from re-coiling... I am not too worried about it, but would like to know

a) has anyone had a re-coiling
    b) was it successful
    c) I am worried about it to be honest, who am I trying to kid! :)

thanks so much in anticipation of a reply

Blog Entries

Hello manxbeemer

I have moved your post to a forum that should get more replies to your questions.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello manxbeemer

I have moved your post to a forum that should get more replies to your questions.
    ...moved it to "spinal disorders" hmmm...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickinuk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...moved it to "spinal disorders" hmmm...
    Oh my, sorry about that.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member

Sorry I just seen your post.

Yes, I've had an coiled one aneurysm coiled four times and another aneurysm coiled twice. The one fixed four times was because it was a basilar aneurysm. This according to the doctor was not normal and it was due to location. The second aneurysm was done twice due to compacting and that is a pica one.

I was worried every time but I trust my doctors a 100% and felt very safe.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Hi there,

So sorry the coils have compacted. Mine happened in about the same time frame. 5 years after my initial rupture and coiling. I originally had 11 coils in 2006. Then had 5 more in 2011. It's a wide neck aneurysm so they placed a stent in as well. When it's NOT an emergency situation and it's a planned event, it was much easier to deal with. I believe I had the recoiling on a Wed. and I was back at work the following Monday. Here is my blog entry. Try to ignore the "incident" with the dye. I think it was just me and not anything directly related to my aneurysm or the procedure. I love my Doc. The aneurysm I had the recoiling on is on my left ophthalmic carotid artery. In fact it sits directly ON my optical nerve. But not other issues, thankfully.

If your doctors think it may be at risk for filling up with blood and potentially rupturing, I would do the re-coiling. Unfortunately, that type of thing can happen with coiling. Thankfully, it's the least invasion procedure and the recovery period is only a few days if all goes well.

Good luck with your decision. Listen to your doctors though, not those of us here on the boards! We're not medical experts, but have gone through similar experiences.
    Heidi
    Ruptured 11mm annie on 10/5/06. Left internal carotid artery. Coiled at Maine Med. Portland, ME. 16 coils. Coils compacting Dec. 2010. Stent implanted 3/16/2011 and 4 more new coils added 4/27/2011 by Dr. Ecker. Another 4mm annie discovered Dec. 2010. Older sister died from rupture 5/29/12. Smaller annie grew & was clipped in Jan. 2014. Orig. annie getting new remnant. Possible flow diversion needed now. Check out my Brain Blog: Brain Blog