Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security disability CDR review activated by student loans

Hello all,

I was approved for SSDI in March of 2010. I am now getting my first review over 4 years later. Why did it take so long? It's either 1, 3 or 5 years. The only thing I can think of is that my student loans started garnishing my social security check in April of this year and I appealed it. Student loans then made me inquire about my social security status as to how many reviews I am suppose to be getting. If my review process was every 5 years, the student loans would have been satisfied with that and would have stopped garnishing my disability. I was so nervous to call social security about it, but I really had no other choice. I couldn't afford the garnishment. Anyway, low and behold, 3 months later, I get a CDR in the mail today. The representative probably noticed I didn't receive my review when I was suppose to. Words can't express how livid I am with student loans for putting my daughter and my well being at total risk. We can not handle another blow in our lives. We have had far too many already and I am to the point where I am about to go off.

One question, on the last page of the CDR, where it asks you to explain things you had no room to explain before, can I type it and print it out and attach instead of writing it?

I don't know for sure, but these people are so fussy I think that they want things in your personal handwriting.

Comment

Originally posted by Fig View Post
      I don't know for sure, but these people are so fussy I think that they want things in your personal handwriting.

You're right. I better play it safe.

Comment

How often you receive a CDR depends on how likely SSA thinks it is that your medical condition will improve. If medical improvement is expected, SSA will review the claim in six to 18 months; if medical improvement is possible, SSA will review the claim every three years; if medical improvement is not expected, SSA will review the claim every five to seven years. Also, some events can trigger a CDR. Examples include the completion of a vocational rehabilitation program, an SSI child’s 18th birthday, when a baby turns one year old, and sometimes work-related income within the first 24 months of entitlement to SSD benefits.

Thanks,
        Alfie Stewart
        <a href="http://www.mc-ams.co.uk/">Motorcycle Crash UK</a>

Comment

How often you receive a CDR depends on how likely SSA thinks it is that your medical condition will improve. If medical improvement is expected, SSA will review the claim in six to 18 months; if medical improvement is possible, SSA will review the claim every three years; if medical improvement is not expected, SSA will review the claim every five to seven years. Also, some events can trigger a CDR. Examples include the completion of a vocational rehabilitation program, an SSI child’s 18th birthday, when a baby turns one year old, and sometimes work-related income within the first 24 months of entitlement to SSD benefits.

Thanks,
          Alfie Stewart
          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

Originally posted by layne View Post
            Hello all,

I was approved for SSDI in March of 2010. I am now getting my first review over 4 years later. Why did it take so long? It's either 1, 3 or 5 years. The only thing I can think of is that my student loans started garnishing my social security check in April of this year and I appealed it. Student loans then made me inquire about my social security status as to how many reviews I am suppose to be getting. If my review process was every 5 years, the student loans would have been satisfied with that and would have stopped garnishing my disability. I was so nervous to call social security about it, but I really had no other choice. I couldn't afford the garnishment. Anyway, low and behold, 3 months later, I get a CDR in the mail today. The representative probably noticed I didn't receive my review when I was suppose to. Words can't express how livid I am with student loans for putting my daughter and my well being at total risk. We can not handle another blow in our lives. We have had far too many already and I am to the point where I am about to go off.

One question, on the last page of the CDR, where it asks you to explain things you had no room to explain before, can I type it and print it out and attach instead of writing it?
            I realize that this thread in nearly Three(3)Years Old...but, I want to inform anyone who might not know...that Student Loans can be Discharged for those who are Total & Permanently Disabled. Below is the link with more information.

Wolfman

Comment

Here is an updated link to the Student Loan Discharge for Total and Permanent Disability Discharge.

Comment

Thank you for this updated information, Wolfman.

I took advantage of a student-loan forgiveness program many years ago when first disabled by MS. I don't know what the name of the program was at the time but I was very glad that it was possible for the balance of my student loan to be forgiven. I had already paid off quite a lot of it but there was still over half of it left, and as I wasn't gainfully employable any more, I wouldn't have been able to make the payments.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

You're welcome agate.

Years ago there was a complicated process to go through to get your student loan(s) discharged/forgiven if the person was disabled. It was simpler for disabled veterans, of which I am one, but I just didn't do it at the time. Mainly because my student loans had been transferred to a private company that increased what I owed by more than 25%...and then the student loans...along with the interest and their 'loan-shark' increase...just made me more resistant to NOT PAY ANYTHING. So, as the years went onward, my student loans were passed from one private company to another private company...while, of course, the amount that they said that I owed...increased with each newer private company.

Then, a few years ago, in 2019, during the Trump Administration...I received a notice that my student loans were going to be cancelled...and that was that. I did not have to do anything because of them having the proof from the Veterans Administration that I was a disabled veteran.

Now, what President Biden and his Administration was trying to do...and are still trying to do even after the SCOTUS stated that what they were trying to do was WRONG...they should have congress get involved and create a bill that would have student loans discharged using a needs basis...meaning that the person who owes a student loan should have to prove, in some way, that they are unable to repay the student loan...or some other reason that would determine that the person's student loan should be reduced/cancelled...and NOT give people any across the board type of decrease in their student loans...without qualifying for the reduction/cancellation of their student loans.

...and that is all that I have to say...about that.

Comment

Wolfman, every time I've been in a situation where money was being demanded of me but there was no way I could come up with it, I found comfort in one of those old sayings: "You can't get blood from a turnip."

These people are adept at reaching in and garnishing whatever they can get but if you don't have anything, they can't do very much.

I agree with you that the forgiveness of student loans should be needs-based. Some people make their education really pay off for them in a big way. Why shouldn't they repay the loans they took out? But others weren't so lucky.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

agate, back in 1985 when I filed for my divorce, the lawyer that was referred to me...BRAGGED about having ALL of his student loans discharged during his Bankruptcy. It was 'the-thing' back in those days for Lawyers and others to file a Bankruptcy to eliminate their student loans. As I think I remember it...there was some sort of requirement that the student loan(s) had to be a certain amount of time...before the student loan(s) could be discharged in a Bankruptcy. Kinda ironic that the same people who used the system to their advantage...are some of those who have BANNED the discharge of student loans in a Bankruptcy.

Comment

I had no idea that was possible or being done. I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy but it was long after having been forgiven the rest of my student loan based on a lasting disability. I could no longer pay my credit card bills for lack of funds and was able to discharge the credit card debt. I was really grateful to have been able to do that but I wouldn't want to go through that ever again. I had to appear in court with a lawyer. It was a lot of paperwork. And, worst of all, it was hard to get any credit for quite a while though not nearly as hard as I feared.

Much later it was pointed out to me that I could have avoided bankruptcy entirely by just continuing not to pay bills, and sooner or later the creditors would give up on me. But going that route would have ruined my chances of getting any more credit forever, I think.

As it was, the bankruptcy lawyer told me that the credit card companies would "love" me after a bankruptcy. I wouldn't say it was as easy as that but it was much easier to get credit than I'd thought it would be. It was a bit dicey for the first year or so but after that there was no problem.
                        Last edited by agate; 01-03-2024, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I will again go from memory...but back when the Lawyer told me about his student loans being discharged in Bankruptcy...there was I THINK...a Three(3) Year timeframe that had to be met before the student loans could be discharged in a Bankruptcy. Meaning that it had to be more than Three(3)Years from when the student loans were due to when you filed for Bankruptcy to discharge the student loans. Then, just before I reached that Three(3)Year threshold...they increased the timeframe to Five(5)Years....and of course as I approached the Five(5)Years...it was moved to Ten(10)Years...and then eventually they came up with the NO student loans are able to be discharged in Bankruptcy.

Another thing that came about with the latest discharge of student loans...was the IRS. Because the discharge of student loans for people who qualified to have them discharged...the amount that was discharged was considered TAXABLE. There were many discussions about this...but the bottom-line seemed to be...that the person receiving their student loans discharged...would have to receive a 1999-C form...because the student loan discharge was a cancellation of debt(COD)...and a COD is TAXABLE.

I realize that this reply is 'somewhat' off-topic...but the information can and could surely apply and hopefully help Social Security Recipients with student loans..

There has been a 'somewhat' reversal of the COD from a student loan discharge being TAXABLE...and the issuance of a 1099-C form. Anyone having a student loan(s) should do their own research...because there are so many variables.

Comment

You really had rotten luck on that, Wolfman. Those who hold the pursestrings can always change the rules on you, I've noticed.

I would expect the IRS to regard a cancellation of debt as a gift. It sounds very much like the IRS. Their reasoning probably is that you've been given money that you originally expected to have to repay. Now you don't have to repay it. Therefore it was given to you-- even though you actually had it some time ago. Harsh but real.

Comment

Working...
                            X