Thread: Social Security disability CDR review activated by student loans

Default Social Security disability CDR review activated by student loans

Hello all,

I was approved for SSDI in March of 2010. I am now getting my first review over 4 years later. Why did it take so long? It's either 1, 3 or 5 years. The only thing I can think of is that my student loans started garnishing my social security check in April of this year and I appealed it. Student loans then made me inquire about my social security status as to how many reviews I am suppose to be getting. If my review process was every 5 years, the student loans would have been satisfied with that and would have stopped garnishing my disability. I was so nervous to call social security about it, but I really had no other choice. I couldn't afford the garnishment. Anyway, low and behold, 3 months later, I get a CDR in the mail today. The representative probably noticed I didn't receive my review when I was suppose to. Words can't express how livid I am with student loans for putting my daughter and my well being at total risk. We can not handle another blow in our lives. We have had far too many already and I am to the point where I am about to go off.

One question, on the last page of the CDR, where it asks you to explain things you had no room to explain before, can I type it and print it out and attach instead of writing it?

I don't know for sure, but these people are so fussy I think that they want things in your personal handwriting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know for sure, but these people are so fussy I think that they want things in your personal handwriting.

You're right. I better play it safe.

How often you receive a CDR depends on how likely SSA thinks it is that your medical condition will improve. If medical improvement is expected, SSA will review the claim in six to 18 months; if medical improvement is possible, SSA will review the claim every three years; if medical improvement is not expected, SSA will review the claim every five to seven years. Also, some events can trigger a CDR. Examples include the completion of a vocational rehabilitation program, an SSI child’s 18th birthday, when a baby turns one year old, and sometimes work-related income within the first 24 months of entitlement to SSD benefits.

Thanks,
    Alfie Stewart
    <a href="http://www.mc-ams.co.uk/">Motorcycle Crash UK</a>

How often you receive a CDR depends on how likely SSA thinks it is that your medical condition will improve. If medical improvement is expected, SSA will review the claim in six to 18 months; if medical improvement is possible, SSA will review the claim every three years; if medical improvement is not expected, SSA will review the claim every five to seven years. Also, some events can trigger a CDR. Examples include the completion of a vocational rehabilitation program, an SSI child’s 18th birthday, when a baby turns one year old, and sometimes work-related income within the first 24 months of entitlement to SSD benefits.

Thanks,
    Alfie Stewart
    Motorcycle Crash UK

Quote Originally Posted by layne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello all,

I was approved for SSDI in March of 2010. I am now getting my first review over 4 years later. Why did it take so long? It's either 1, 3 or 5 years. The only thing I can think of is that my student loans started garnishing my social security check in April of this year and I appealed it. Student loans then made me inquire about my social security status as to how many reviews I am suppose to be getting. If my review process was every 5 years, the student loans would have been satisfied with that and would have stopped garnishing my disability. I was so nervous to call social security about it, but I really had no other choice. I couldn't afford the garnishment. Anyway, low and behold, 3 months later, I get a CDR in the mail today. The representative probably noticed I didn't receive my review when I was suppose to. Words can't express how livid I am with student loans for putting my daughter and my well being at total risk. We can not handle another blow in our lives. We have had far too many already and I am to the point where I am about to go off.

One question, on the last page of the CDR, where it asks you to explain things you had no room to explain before, can I type it and print it out and attach instead of writing it?
    I realize that this thread in nearly Three(3)Years Old...but, I want to inform anyone who might not know...that Student Loans can be Discharged for those who are Total & Permanently Disabled. Below is the link with more information.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-l...s-cancellation

Wolfman

7. The following user says "thanks"