Thread: Need Help Interpreting Muscle Biopsy Results

Default Need Help Interpreting Muscle Biopsy Results

Background info: 25 yr old male, with post-stressful period myalgia. I was also being treated for hyperthyroidism, which caused an acute case of rhabdomyolysis (very high muscle enzyme levels). After ceasing the thyroid meds, my enzymes went back to normal. The muscle aches have persisted for 6 months. Rheumatologist diagnosed fibromyalgia. I had a muscle biopsy on my quad muscle just in case. The parts I highlighted below didn't sound normal, but I don't know anything and am a hypochrondriac anyway. Below are the results:

Microscopic Description:
    Control sections for all histochemical and immunohistochemical stains show appropriate reactivity. H&E-stained sections were prepared at three levels through the paraffin block and at two levels through the frozen tissue cryostat block. Myofiber regeneration, myofiber degeneration, an endomysial inflammatory infiltrate, or diagnostic increase in myofiber expression of MHC1 is not identified. Vasculitis is not identified. There are rare esterase-positive, angular-atrophic myofibers. Sections stained for ATPase demonstrate an unremarkable distribution of type 1 and type 2 myofibers. The GTC-stained slide does not show rimmed vacuoles or ragged-red fibers. Increased internalized myofiber nuclei are not seen. Sarcoplasmic vacuolation is not identified. ORO-stained sections do not reveal abnormal accumulation of myofiber lipid. Sections stained with a panel of methods for oxidative enzymes show targetoid myofibers, scattererd moth-eaten myofibers, and some myofibers with increased subsarcolemmal activity of these enzymes. COX-negative myofibers are not identified. Myofiber glycogen content is unremarkable. The panel of methods for metabolic enzymes does not show additional diagnostic changes. Endomysial fibrosis is not identified.

Comment:
    Please see microscopic description. This skeletal muscle biopsy shows minimal histologic change that consists of mild alterations in the intermyofibrillar network as seen with oxidative enzyme staining. This is etiologically non-specific. Correlation with clinical information is suggested.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((dan1539)))))) ~

Welcome to BrainTalk!

I'm of no help in interpreting your test results, and I'm not sure that we have experts in that area here at BrainTalk.

In your shoes, I would Google the terms, which you have bolded, for definitions/explanations, then try to piece it together for an overall understanding of the findings. And, I would contact my physician and say that I don't understand the test results and ask for an explanation in terms, which I could understand.

Words, which I found to be positive or affirmative, in your test results are:

"appropriate"

"not identified"

"unremarkable distribution"

"does not show"

"do not reveal"

"minimal histologic change"

"mild alterations"

Those all sound like good things to me, Dan. Call your doctor and ask for an explanation. That should set your mind at ease.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.