Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical Excuse from jury duty in Oregon?

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I just went to my doctor to get a note since I got a jury duty summons. I'm not in Oregon but I tried writing my disability on the original form and it didn't work so I had to get a note stating my disability(A law that your doc can't state your disability is odd. I would think they would need to know) and the problems it causes with serving on a jury. My doctor warned me that they may make me serve anyway. I'll tell you what happens with my jury duty if it helps? The nurse was nosy.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I'm in California, not Oregon, but I can't imagine it could be much different there. My doctor wrote a letter for me years ago, stating that my condition made me unable to serve on jury duty, for many of the same issues you mention. A couple of weeks later, I got a letter stating that I was permanently excused from jury duty. It said that I needed to keep the letter to show if it should ever come up again, which it hasn't. I've never gotten a jury summons since, so I must be off the list now.

I always wondered just what they would do if they didn't excuse me, but I didn't show up, even though I had provided them with with a letter from my doctor stating that I was unable to serve on jury duty. What's the worse they could or would do? Spank me? Put me in jail? Fine me? I doubt they would do any of those things! I guess I'll never know.

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

I'm in MA and my neurologist sent in a form he already had on file to get me out of it. I would think yours has one too.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always wondered just what they would do if they didn't excuse me, but I didn't show up, even though I had provided them with with a letter from my doctor stating that I was unable to serve on jury duty. What's the worse they could or would do? Spank me? Put me in jail? Fine me? I doubt they would do any of those things! I guess I'll never know.
    I believe they can put you in jail and/or fine you.
    I did read that either on the summons or on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by funnylegs4 View Post
    I just went to my doctor to get a note since I got a jury duty summons. I'm not in Oregon but I tried writing my disability on the original form and it didn't work so I had to get a note stating my disability(A law that your doc can't state your disability is odd. I would think they would need to know) and the problems it causes with serving on a jury. My doctor warned me that they may make me serve anyway. I'll tell you what happens with my jury duty if it helps? The nurse was nosy.
    I fantasized telling them I would either need a notepad or recorder so that I could remember what was said and see if they would then excuse me. (I believe both are forbidden).
    Bathroom breaks might be another matter. I wondered if they would require Depends instead of bathroom breaks.

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) When I got the summons I sent a letter from me outlining my symptoms and the need to go to the bathroom often and concentration problems. I did not get anything back... The night before I called the court recording and my name was not on it. I assumed I had been removed.

If I had had to go I would have told them because my last jury duty was awful I did not want to serve again. I was an alternate on a scooter then and I served and when I was excused while they deliberated the bailiff and court recorder asked how I would have voted. I said not guilty. They both went crazy. It seems we were told she was the mother of a child she took to church weekly. Come to find out every time we were excused they discussed her addiction, her shooting the guy because he did not pay her $50 for prostitution and that her mother was raising her child not her. The guy she shot (he lived) was on methadone but so was she. She was found not guilty. Jeanie :)

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((selkie)))))) ~

Welcome Back to BrainTalk!

I'm not in Oregon, but I've been excused from jury duty numerous times, because I am the sole support and full time care provider for my son, who is severely disabled. I've never been asked to provide documentation or evidence. I haven't been permanently excused, because the county continues to summon me to serve every few years. But then, they also summon my husband, and he isn't a U.S. citizen. Obviously, not a perfect system.

In the 1970s, when my sons were children, I was summoned, and I appeared for duty. During voir dire, the defense rejected me, because I have family members and friends in law enforcement, and the prosecution rejected me, because I was a teacher/counselor. I went to the court clerk and said, "No one is ever going to approve me to serve on a jury, and I have two sons with disabilities, whom I support. If my son has a seizure, I'm out of here. May I be excused, please?" That was it. I was excused.

If your county doesn't accept your doctor's note and your letter of explanation, I would imagine that you would have some type of due process, whereby you could appeal. Did you retain copies of the form, the doctor's note and your letter? You might call the county as a follow up, just to make sure that they received your documents and to confirm that you're excused, before the date you are/were required to appear. I recommend doing that to put your mind at ease.

They must be hard up for jurors, if they are summoning people who live 70 miles from the courthouse. That's a lot of commuting to ask of any citizen, but particularly a citizen with a disabling condition.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 06-29-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Blog Entries

I went to the court house today with my doctors note explaining why my disability makes it hard for me to serve and the guy just took my summons,wrote something on it and said "I took you off. You're excused. " so I think you will be excused since your condition is more severe. I believe you do get fined or sent to prison if you simply don't show up. Always retain the Jury Summons and notes for your records and in case you ever get summoned again. I hope I never get summoned again but I may be summoned again since I forgot to have my doctor write that I will never be able to serve. My court house is also 45 minutes away which makes things even worse.

But then, they also summon my husband, and he isn't a U.S. citizen. Obviously, not a perfect system.

In the 1970s, when my sons were children, I was summoned, and I appeared for duty. During voir dire, the defense rejected me, because I have family members and friends in law enforcement, and the prosecution rejected me, because I was a teacher/counselor. I went to the court clerk and said, "No one is ever going to approve me to serve on a jury, and I have two sons with disabilities, whom I support. If my son has a seizure, I'm out of here. May I be excused, please?" That was it. I was excused.
    I'm amazed they summoned you Rose, and then rejected you and even summon your husband, a non citizen for pete sake. But yes I think there must be a way to repeal somehow. Before I got my doctors note(I didn't realize I could get a doctors' note) I had postponed my Jury Duty by 6 months successfully.

I fantasized telling them I would either need a notepad or recorder so that I could remember what was said and see if they would then excuse me. (I believe both are forbidden).
    Bathroom breaks might be another matter. I wondered if they would require Depends instead of bathroom breaks.
    I exaggerated my spasticity just a tad when I talked to the guy at the courthouse today. It appears to have worked but I would still get a doctors note. I wondered myself about the bathroom issue. I would go crazy if I had to hold it in and my body would probably tighten up so much that I'd kick someone accidentally(this has happened to me where I involuntarily kicked physical therapists etc)or pee on the Jury box seat. No joke.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Default Jury duty

My husband and I are disabled, he had a stroke and mine is my spine. Even though we each sent a doctors letter they STILL send us notices. In six years we have gotten called at least four times each. Now I just throw the letters in the garbage. They don't call or anything.
    If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
    DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years. ADR c 5/6 Feb. 2018 doing well.
    Back to pain management, fibromyalgia getting worse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lil E View Post
    My husband and I are disabled, he had a stroke and mine is my spine. Even though we each sent a doctors letter they STILL send us notices. In six years we have gotten called at least four times each. Now I just throw the letters in the garbage. They don't call or anything.
    Really? My first summons was not sent through the mail correctly(mis-shipped or something)so they sent a 2nd note demanding I respond or I'd be sent to prison :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast