Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police investigating surprisingly able wheelchair fans at the world cup

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I really didn't now how to take that article. Was it saying that you're not actually disabled if you can stand up? Even when I could stand, I could not have managed the stairs in a stadium. Is the article suggesting I would not have been worthy of the special handicap section seating.

Was it suggesting that disabled people might be obtaining tickets at the reduced price offered only to the disabled, who then resell them for profit? Are the disabled viewed as cheaters of the system?

Or was it saying that soccer fans might be faking a disability in order to get good seats at a reduced price? Will people do anything for a game?

It all just makes me SAD and loose a little faith in humanity!

Distinguished Community Member

News stories these days are written for a rise. They don't even give all the relevant facts. They are like a snapshot without explanation.

I've debated about asking for a wheelchair at an airport to get from one plane to another. Sometimes there is pain which makes it difficult to walk or only slowly. Other times I'm painfree. The route we are taking this time involves disembarking from one plane and crossing what seems like the entire airport to embark on another. Flying to the US always involves extra security. There is only 2 1/2 hours. Do I ask for special transport? I haven't decided.

Back to the topic. Could I leap out of a wheelchair? Seriously doubt it. Adrenaline might enable it, but the aftermath would not be pretty. I've never used a wheelchair but I'd probably fall.
    Last edited by Parsi; 06-21-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nuthatch, the issue in the story is a bit different from the topic being discussed here:

Police believe that tickets for the section were illegally transferred.
    FIFA has previously released tickets for the sections, citing a lack of demand. However, re-selling a ticket for more than face value is a crime in Brazil — and the disabled section tickets sell for less than half the cost of those in the regular sections.
    The fans must have been only too eager to jump on those fans who were in the disabled section, when it turns out that the tickets in that section were probably released to the general public when there was a "lack of demand" for the seats in that section.

Parsi, this is so true:

News stories these days are written for a rise. They don't even give all the relevant facts. They are like a snapshot without explanation.
    I found the story very annoying because it didn't give nearly enough information.

Rose, I think you've made the point exactly:

People, who are ambulatory, or semi-ambulatory, use wheelchairs for distances (like, parking lot to stadium) for a wide range of medical reasons. Diabetes, COPD, rheumatoid arthritis, heart issues, etc. A stigma seems to be attached to people, who use wheelchairs or handicapped parking placards. Unless one is completely paralyzed, the assumption by casual onlookers is that you don't need the chair or the space.

The incident with my neighbors is just one of many over the years.

Yes, I'm very very glad I can still walk. Not being able to walk at all is a nightmare. There have been times when that has happened to me, and the feeling of helplessness was almost overwhelming.

But when I do walk, I can lose my vision and my hearing very, very suddenly, and I can go splat on the ground very fast too. After I don't know how many falls and several fractures, I had to face a wheelchair as a good solution for most of the time.

There's a lot of rage out there.

The disabled have made great progress in getting some services improved in recent years but there's a downside to the progress--other people resent every curb cut, every handicapped spot, every ramp, apparently.

And Rose,

Meanwhile, players are being knocked unconscious on the pitch (field) and allowed to return to the game after they get up. I had to leave the room, and I told my husband that I can't watch people destroy their brains for sport.
    I agree. The news is full of stories of athletes in various sports who've suffered severe injuries and are incapacitated for life. The weird thing is how many athletes brag about their injuries, as if they deserve a medal for getting hurt.

They've known about punch-drunk syndrome since the 1920s, and that's just one kind of injury.

--Parsi, why not try the special transport at the airport? If pain comes on while you're getting across the airport, you'll be slowed down. You can go speeding along on wheels. The airport personnel are not going to question you about why you need a wheelchair.

At least they didn't ever question me but the flights I was on were back in the 1980s!
    Last edited by agate; 06-21-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Parsi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paris's response is so very true. It is that way for every news story and people are encouraged to give their opinions when the facts are not known. Not only is this sad but dangerous to democracy.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

One comment asked those that "were angry about the investigation" how we'd feel if the couple actually had gotten the tickets by fraud.
    Frankly I didn't see anyone who was angry about an investigation. I did see people who probably had to defend their "handicap status" and were upset about assumptions of what a handicapped person was.

Also saw a couple commenters convinced that handicapped meant one could not walk AT ALL nor even stand.

yes, ask for special transport! save your energy for the much more important things! People may make snide comments behind your back. so what? you 'don't know them, they don't know you, you'll hopefully never see them again. Do what is best for YOU, not them.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12