Thread: First Annie~versary of my Brain Bling!

Distinguished Community Member Beachgirl's Avatar

Default First Annie~versary of my Brain Bling!

Hi everyone, (Is there anyone still here???)

Today is my first annie~versary, and I haven't posted in here for way too long. Instead of retyping or trying to think of something new to write, I have copied my post that I have just put up on my Facebook page. Most here will see it over there, but for those of you not on FB - (Jimmy!!!!) I'm putting it here too so can see where I'm at...

"The next exciting instalment of The Adventures of a Dude Mooshing His Hands Around in My Brain...

So, today is my first re-birthday, also known as "The day I got my Brain Bling"! Right now as I type, this time last year I was being put to sleep, trusting that the man who was literally about to have his hands inside my head would preserve and protect me...who I was, who I am. It wasn't so much that I was afraid to die, that was something I had surrendered to and was something I could not do anything about, but it was me, my personality, my thoughts and my memories, my speech and comprehension which was the iffy bit. I had to trust my doctor and have faith in his brilliant abilities. Thankfully, he did, and I am here today typing this.

I am feeling a whole kaleidoscope of emotions this morning, but the main ones are that of gratefulness and joy. Today is a day to celebrate, and also one of reflection. I have come so far on this journey, but still have quite a way to go. Every day I get stronger, and feel like the warrior that I am, but I also have days of confusion, frustration, and of anger. And that is ok. I am human. I'm allowed to have all these emotions, and am so incredibly grateful to even BE here to feel them. To have my faculties to process them is such a privilege, one that we often take for granted.

So many people have walked beside me through this journey, offering their love and support - both emotionally and practically. I thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Even everyone indulging me as I post this journey here on Facebook. Being single has made this a tough path to walk at times, but allowing me to post things here has helped me not feel so alone, and to share in my laughter and look at the lighter side of all of this. Jeneen in particular has been my earth angel. She has been there every step of the way, feeding me endless meals (John's Butter Chicken will forever be a favourite!), literally holding my up when trying to walk, laughing with me at some of the more amusing antics my brain and body have produced - especially in supermarket aisles, to sitting quietly by my side letting me vent frustrations or held my hand as I have cried. Thankyou seems so inadequate.

I have physical reminders of this too. My nine inch scar across my head, my 6 bolts sticking out from under my skin, my new (and improved(?) ) lumpy and bumpy head and the large concaved part of my temple...these I call my badges of honour. I wear them proudly, even if at first I was slightly horrified at my new head!

So today I am celebrating. This is a long and winding path, and one I feel so blessed to be on, sharing it with everyone I hold dear in my life.
    I am alive. I am breathing. That is enough for any of us to have and do, and more than enough for us all to embrace each and every day."

I hope everyone is well.

Love and hugs,

Nat xx
    To see a world in a grain of sand,
    And a heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour. - William Blake.

Nat
    Congrads on your first annie versary.It is so wonderful of you to post that info on BT, since you know i am the only person left on this planet that doesn't do the FaceBook thingy (LOL).Have been wondering just how your recovery is going, glad to see your doing good.It is comforting to know that you have an amazing friend like Jeneen to be there for you, hard to find a true friend like that.I just had my 6th annie -versary back at the first of the month, so i know the recovery is a long process.Wow been lurking here for 6 yrs...

I am very proud of you, keep improving.take it one day at a time.

Jimmy C

Happy Annie-Versary Nat! Yes, it IS a day to celebrate. I do every year and I may have to steal your phrase "brain bling"! I like that!! I have lots of bling, but my latest addition was a clipping too, so I know how you're feeling with the new bumps and bolts under the skin on your head. It's odd, but I'm here.

Continue to LIVE, take care of yourself, and celebrate!

{{{{Hugs}}}}
    Heidi
    Ruptured 11mm annie on 10/5/06. Left internal carotid artery. Coiled at Maine Med. Portland, ME. 16 coils. Coils compacting Dec. 2010. Stent implanted 3/16/2011 and 4 more new coils added 4/27/2011 by Dr. Ecker. Another 4mm annie discovered Dec. 2010. Older sister died from rupture 5/29/12. Smaller annie grew & was clipped in Jan. 2014. Orig. annie getting new remnant. Possible flow diversion needed now. Check out my Brain Blog: Brain Blog

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey nat !

thanks for posting about your health on your one year annie-versary! yes, i've looked here every so often for your posts and have wondered how you are doing.

it's wonderful to have friends that can let you be what you need to be at any given moment in your life journey. everyone needs people like these even if they haven't any medical problems. we all need to vent at life sometimes. having friends to help you when you have life-changing medical or emotional problems is a special blessing, though. i don't know what i would do without my friends who are there for me whenever i ask them to be (maybe i'll have to find that recipe for john's butter chicken and see who can cook for me once in awhile, though ).

i love facebook, but i don't feel comfortable talking about my probs there...prolly something about having my real name attached to them . here at bt, i can be a little bit more free under the guise of my alter-ego, "tic chick", the smooth, street-wise, "don't take no crap" born and raised in detroit woman.

i hope this year of healing will lead to a stronger nat on the journey of her life. yes, as heidi said, continue to live, take care of yourself and celebrate!

thank you for sharing and caring ,
    jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Community Member

Nat, I too often wonder how you are doing and am so glad to hear you are well! Congrats on your anne-versary, I just had my 7th. Take care and check in from time to time. I do check here from time to time. Ncjimmy, Hi and I hope you are well, congrats on 6 years! Take care all.
    Shelly

Wow, that takes me back. Happy First Annie ~versary, Nat. And what a journey it is, too. May you continue to heal, be well and thrive. And may you have many, many more annie ~ versaries to come!