Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blogs are now live

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

NOW you've got it!
    Roswell was a gift.

Well, there is a much to know about me, and my 39+ years adventuring into/with neurological disorders.
    I am still compiling, & particularly like how the blog feature has draft saving capabilities.
    Stay tuned for 1st publication fairly shortly.
    Firehorse

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Questions?

((((((Mike)))))) ~

I have some questions (now there's a surprise, eh? ).

Are the blogs moderated?

Are there content/topic restrictions (eg., nothing political or controversial, no selling of any products or services, etc. as with BT forums)?

Are the blogs required to be about neurological issues, or can they be "off topic?"

Aside from "Recent Blogs," is there any other categorization of the blog posts (eg., by topic or by author)?

Important Note to All Members: David Hosobuchi's thread in Forum Feedback with a poll regarding Blog privacy:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...mp-Member-Poll

Finally, a note to ((((((Howie)))))) ~ you could always blog about nothing. Worked quite well for Seinfeld!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Default Answers

Are the blogs moderated? Nope

Are there content/topic restrictions (eg., nothing political or controversial, no selling of any products or services, etc. as with BT forums)? Same policy as the forums, although for truly private blogs we may relax the rules a bit

Are the blogs required to be about neurological issues, or can they be "off topic?" Neuro or OT whatever suits your fancy at the time of blogging

Aside from "Recent Blogs," is there any other categorization of the blog posts (eg., by topic or by author)? Not yet, I honestly haven't looked into vB's (ie native) blog system. Was looking for a good 3rd party blog system but gave up.

Keep the questions and comments coming
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is there any chance of letting the blogs allow entries of more than 2,000 characters?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Administrator/Community Manager David Hosobuchi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is rare that you will find that Mike and I contradicting each other, (Really, I just talked to him on the phone, so this is best described as a joint reiteration of the above post.)

As far as content is concerned,

Of course the policies regarding the selling of products and services will remain the same. Just like the Forums, BrainTalk Communitiy Blogs are not to be used for advertising or spam. Blog topics should not be centered on politics or religion either. BrainTalk Communities is basically a "health and wellness" online community, focusing on neurology. While blog topics need not be based entirely on neurology or health, we ask that you do not swerve into areas that are inappropriate for this community. Politics and Religion as main topics do tend to be subjects that people can have extremely strong and emotional viewpoints.

But as far as the controversial, in the history of medicine, what wasn't "controversial" until society as a whole accepted it, or even proved to the church it wasn't witchcraft? How about penicillin? Wow! That surely must have been controversial! At one time, infection was even regarded as a necessary part of the healing process! Even induced by doctors of that era. Medicine would still be in the dark ages without the "controversial".

Anyone here may post about the controversial and its relevance to healthcare. This includes blogs, comments, forums, anywhere. Just don't go overboard, use good judgement, and respect each other.

So, what you can take from this is the ToS still applies.

It appears Mike didn't know all about the How To's for the Blogs as of yet, fortunately I have already done a bit of investigating, testing & playing around over the past few days. I have made (and deleted) a number of test blog posts, categories, and sub-categories. I am still familiarizing myself will all the nuances, so I am sure there is more for me to master.

Blog Categories

Categories are controlled and set by the user in the Blog CP.
    To do this:

1. Click on the Blog tab in the Menu Bar.
    2. Then under this you should see a submenu, the last option being Blog Settings. Click on this.
    3. Then on the right side there will be a box containing the User Blog Control Panel. Find "Manage Categories" and click on this.
    4. By clicking on the "Add New Blog Category" you can then add categories and their descriptions for your blogs.

In this way you may define different categories (and sub-categories) for your blogs, and their order you wish to display them.

Blog Moderation

Since these are your blogs, you actually get to choose to have the responsibility of a certain level of moderation of them.
    You are allowed the choice of moderating the comments before they are visible. In this way you can choose which comments are allowed to be posted.
    These are also controlled in the user's Blog CP, under Privacy settings, and can be set when posting each blog post.

In this way, the blogs become in a sense, the users' own little forum for them to control. They (the members) define and establish the topics they wish to discuss. Through the comments they can nurture and control the discussion.

But no, we have not yet established any moderation of the BrainTalk Community Blogs.
    We may set up a team of volunteers to moderate or help blogs as time goes by if and when a need or interest arises.

The blogs are in a Beta stage here at BrainTalk Communities. Changes may take place in configurations depending on user input and other criteria.

Thanks for your cooperation and support,
    Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 06-17-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    David Hosobuchi
    Administrator/Community Manager
    BrainTalk Communities Inc.

"The most determined win."

Blog Entries

Yes agate, that number can be changed. Mike and I will discuss what might be a more reasonable maximum, and I'll leave it to Mike to do the dirty work.

Any further questions or comments' please don't hesitate.
    Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 06-17-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    David Hosobuchi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there any chance of letting the blogs allow entries of more than 2,000 characters?
    Blog descriptions are limited to 2,000 characters. Blog entries are limited to 25,000 characters. There are two other character limits but until I fiddle around with them I'm not sure what they actually do
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a new button on every post now--Blog This Post. I've set up a preliminary version of a blog here, with no entries yet, and I find that I can easily transfer any post of mine to it by clicking Blog This Post.

But I can also transfer anyone else's post very easily to my blog by clicking Blog This Post. Most people wouldn't like the idea of having their posts transferred over to someone's blog without their consent, it seems to me, even though the blog is confined to BrainTalk and its members.

Is this a good idea?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Blog Entries

Wow, another good question.

I'm afraid I can't answer this one for you.

But I can tell you how it works.

What the Blog this Post button does is similar to quoting someone. It take the post, quotes it from the forum, and places it directly in your blog. It is very similar to the Reply With Quote button, except by putting it into your blog.

Any member could quote another member's posts here anyway. This button simply gives a shortcut.

Does this help?

What do you think now?

Don't hesitate to discuss opinions....
    David Hosobuchi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast