Thread: Hello Dear Friends

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default Hello Dear Friends

Hi Everyone!
    It's great to be back here, even if we are a small group - we know each other so well! So, I thought I would just check in and tell you a bit about our news. All is well - I still have to check myself when I say that. Nicholas' health has been so stable in the last couple of years. He hasn't even had a cold or flu. It's weird! We are so grateful. I wanted to share a photo of Nicholas voting in our provincial elections this week! I was so proud of him (not sure if he really totally gets the election thing, but he watched the televised debate and I explained what the various party platforms would mean for him personally) and then he voted with my help! :)
    nickvoting.jpg
    I've been travelling lately and last week went to Vancouver for a conference in social innovation. I was there as a caregiver and the people who organized the conference maintain that love and necessity are the core ingredients of innovation (don't we know that!).
    I have been writing about the conference in two blog posts which I'll share in case anyone is interested in such things (I worry that I'm turning into a bore haha, I'm so passionate about the issue and getting it to the top of peoples' thinking, but I do think we need to consider caring for each other and not always bang on about independence).
    Part one: http://www.donnathomson.com/2014/06/...rs-at-six.html
    Part Two: http://www.donnathomson.com/2014/06/...ix-summer.html
    On a personal note, my Mom is starting to fade. I think that's the right word - she's a shadow of herself - thin and in her nightie all the time. She doesn't get dressed anymore. And she sleeps a lot. She's still in a seniors residence with not a lot of help (she has someone going in every day but only for a couple of hours. I guess that's all she needs, but I wish I lived closer. I called her yesterday to remind her that the women were playing the quarter final match in the French Open tennis and I know she loves that - I woke her up, but she was happy that I did. I saw her the other day and she was supposed to come with me to the funeral of an old family friend, but in the end she couldn't get dressed. I guess at 92, that's normal. But I feel like she is disappearing. It's strange because she's such a fighter by nature. Oh well, end of life, eh? Lots of love to you all, my friends! xoxo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna)))))) ~

Welcome Home!

Congratulations to Nicholas on his first voting experience! That's fantastic! I know what you mean about not knowing if he comprehends the entire election process, but I'll bet he does. I feel strongly that Jon understands it, and he listens to debates and has followed elections most of his life. What Nick and Jon understand most is who is trustworthy and who is blowing smoke you know where. I believe that all of our children understand much more about important things than we do, because they rely on innate senses and instinct.

How wonderful it is that Nick has been so healthy for such a long period of time. May it continue to be so. He's in his element. His Man Cave. He has his buds to hang with, and he's receiving superior care, while still very connected to you and his family. Quality of life. It's critical to health and well being.

On the other side of life's circle, your mom is becoming weary. I think of my maternal grandmother at 92, and the years began taking their toll. Frail and fragile like your mom, my grandma said, "Well, I'm 92, and that's a lot of living. I'm tired now. I think and hope I've done my share."

Pull out your photo albums and walk through the journey of your mom's life. She lived and loved it to the fullest. She truly did more than her share. Just like her incredible daughter carrying on her legacy.

Peace be with you, dear friend. Strength, understanding, peace, and love ~

Love & Light,

Rose

PS ~ I haven't read your blog posts yet, as I wanted to post this response first. Will be back after I've had a chance to read, digest and ponder.
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Congrats on Nick voting! I love voting and I think it is super important for people with disabilities to vote. I think Nick understands on some level and I agree with Rose that they understand more than we realize. You are not a bore! My grandmother was like that at 92 but she lived until 98. :) I think at that age things just become more basic.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Hi Donna! Nice to hear from you. I saw the photo of Nick voting on FB - good on him! We are in the midst of an election year here. I believe it is important to vote but I am so disillusioned by what's on offer I may just turn up to the polling booth and cross out all the parties. It would obviously not count as a proper vote but would be counted in the numbers at least. I dunno. We'll see.

Happy to hear about Nick's good health! Long may it continue. I think my grandmother is getting like your mum. Unfortunately her living in South Africa - so far away - doesn't help. I really hope I get to see her one last time but I guess we can't control these things.

I myself am feeling quite uneasy about life as I start to look beyond university. I should be finished by January - how scary. Finding another place to live and a job is going to be my biggest challenge yet. Oh well. Onto the next stage eh...

I always enjoy your blogs. Keep on!
    Enjoying the excitements of life. Looking forward to what's to come! What a ride!

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

I am so glad that Nick has been so healthy! (knocking on wood!!) I liked the picture of him voting, that is great...we should all have our say! :)

Sorry to hear about your Mom...can she transition to a higher level of care where she lives? We are dealing with that here with Brian's Great-Aunt. Brian's Mom & his cousin just moved G-Aunt to a rehab home until a room opens up where they really want her to go. She is 87, but just had an MRI that showed more strokes and up til now she has been living alone in her house yet. His cousin lives in MN so all the cares have fallen on Brian's Mom & Dad since they live close to G-Aunt.

I love reading your blogs, I love pieces that make me think! Keep them coming. :)

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

Hi Erin, I am not worried about your future - I just know you'll attack it the way you did uni. You will be a captain of industry who will save the world. I'm counting on it and looking forward to telling people in my old age, "Hey, I am friends with the PM of NZ!"
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Donna Great news about Nick's good health. Congratulations to Nick for his first voting experience.
    So sorry to hear about your mom...
    Mary Grace