Thread: to buy or no, off topic?

Community Member

Default to buy or no, off topic?

I need some advice, I hope my wise MS'ers can advise. I am thinking of buying a HP van all set up for me. It is 40,000.00 yikes I cannot decide if this is the right move for me. I know it will help with my independence and that I will be less dependent on others. What I am thinking is this a good move to spend all this $$ to get me the store and the doctor. I am 61 and live alone, in a W/C I have had MS since 1997. I am confused and just don't know what to do. :(
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

It's a good move, if it will enhance your quality of life. Do you still drive.
    I still have my mini van with a chair lift and scooter in it. It sits in my
    garage, on call, whenever I can get someone to drive me somewhere...LOL
    It makes me feel good, just having it here, even though, it's not used often
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never had a car and have driven one only very briefly, years ago, but I've noticed how the world we live in assumes we have access to a car.

There are quite a few holdouts who insist on taking public transportation, and I've been one of them all my life. So have many people I've known--but all are in large cities.

If you're not in a city of some size, you'd really be very, very limited without a car.

Larger cities have systems in place for people without cars who are disabled or seniors--paratransit rides that need to be scheduled in advance but at least are door-to-door rides in lift-equiped vehicles. And they're not expensive compared to what you'd pay if you hired your own or owned your own.

If you can still drive and don't mind the expense, you should probably get the vehicle you're thinking of, IMO.

I'm sure I'd be a menace on the road but not everyone's situation is like mine. My vision can go wild instantly, and so can my hand coordination. I could lose sensation in my legs very suddenly as well.
    Last edited by agate; 06-04-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fixing a typo
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Community Member

Default ty

Thanks, I think I worry and over think things over and over. thanks for your advice :)
    Jan

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Jan.

I don't drive, at present. One of those city folk w good public transit. I just wanted to say that I miss you here.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Hiya-
    I have owned a conversion van since 2001.

Dx'd w/MS and instant paraplegia in '96, I'm now pushing 60.
    I am low income and have a bus stop I can throw a rock at.
    As convenient as that is and good for well planned trips it
    is nothing like owning your own ride.

I love my van. I LOVE my van.
    I drive to most doctor appts, make side trips. I take joy rides.
    I shop, I can meet people out. It enables me to have normal casual
    social interactions with humans.

If I didn't drive this carriage I would not be nearly as independent,
    have the social opportunities and scattered work opportunities that I do.
    It is a God-send, a counselor and freedom.

If you have the money to purchase a vehicle in very good working order-
    preferably low mileage, and the money for occasional auto work, I highly approve the purchase.

Should we rendezvous w/the other northeasterners in central MA for very long lunch?

My best to you.

-r

Community Member

Smile TY

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi Jan.

I don't drive, at present. One of those city folk w good public transit. I just wanted to say that I miss you here.
    ANN
    Thank you Ann I miss everyone too.
    Jan

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Hi Jan,
    I agree with the advise you've gotten here so far. When I became wheelchair dependent, I purchased a beautiful handicap van with a ramp, lowered floors that "kneeled", an Easy Lock system, ect. . . . plus all the bells and whistles. The van was gorgeous with less than 5,000 miles and I got it for a fraction of the price it would have cost new. I was super excited! The vehicle had been donated to the MS society by the estate of a woman who had lived in Beverly Hill, CA ($$$$). She had passed away due to a brain tumor, but had also had MS. The MS society got the proceeds from the sale. I found it posted for sale on an on-line website that sells handicap vehicles. I felt really good about the purchase . . . i was helping the MS Society AND I was helping myself stay somewhat independent!

I had hand controls installed in the van, learned to use them, then got licensed to drive again (yes, you have to get special licensing which requires passing a driving test using the controls).

Within just a few months I started having serious problems with double vision. My eye muscles would get fatigued from the many small eye movements that we unconsciously make while driving and within minutes my eyes would no longer track together, resulting in double vision. I could see with one eye closed but knew in my heart that one-eyed driving was not really safe. I was not only endangering myself, but others as well, so I reluctantly gave up driving. That was a hard pill to swallow, but I know that it was necessary.

I continue to have problems with double vision even as a passenger and in many other situations. I find myself keeping one eye closed just so I can see. (I jokingly tell all the guys I'm winking at them . . . am I flirting?) Car rides are not enjoyable any more.

I agree that if you do not have any signs of eye tracking problems or some of the other issues that Agate mentioned in her post, driving surely could enhance your life, so go for it! We all just have to deal with the hand we're dealt and make the most of it.

Best wishes,
    Joan

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default My first fiancé had only one eye and that was good for me many years later!

That boyfriend drove everywhere and it is legal.

I do close one eye a lot. Often when I am reading the double vision comes as my eyes get tired.
    I did find eye exercises on the Mayo clinic site and they helped me get control.

Eye oddities are a large part of my MS problems. I find myself closing both eyes when I am having complicated conversations with people. It helps me be coherent. So far no one has walked away and left me standing on the street talking to myself!

But these problems do not show up suddenly so I am aware that I am having a not-so-good-to-drive day. I drive every day but not far and not on the highway but at least I can leave the house.

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 06-05-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"