Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: off MS ???

Community Member

Default off MS ???

Hi Everyone, Does anyone know if the HP Mini vans with the Braun Conversion get 9 mpg.
    I am thinking of buying one and I am wondering about the gas mileage. Anyone??
    Thanks
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Don't know, but good luck in you quest.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member

I googled the van..........

Here s my thoughts have a hard e believing that I only gets nine mpg. An engine with that low a mileage would be v-8 or a huge (old) inline six. Probably the biggest problem that i have run into with the conversions that I have worked on is the suspension. There is considerable weight with the lift and all the strengthening for tie downs etc. As far as engines make sue that the van is rated for s additional weight.

Sorry for the spelling and grammar this touch screen is terrible.

I have some experience with several lifts and conversions so please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to discuss in mqore detail.

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I typed two long paragraphs and lost them. I wish I knew how to retrieve stuff from the auto-save.

I have a 2000 Chrysler Town & Country Braun Entervan conversion. I love it. The seat goes back for easy access to my scooter and the ramp goes out the passenger side door.

I have a small house scooter I ride out to the van. I have a heavy chain on the carport post and lock the other end of the chain to my house scooter so it does not take off. I always lock the van since I leave the big scooter in it.

Do not say you have MS at the DMV or you will be taking an extended road test every year. Say your leg does not work right.

I can plug the charger in in the van and run the extension cord to the porch. We have 3 gangs in our neighborhood and about 2 years ago they stole my van scooter when I did not lock the van, Now I lock it EVERY time I get out of it.

Some of the mobility places that rent ramp vans have used ones for sale, but 40,000 is a great price. The lady who bought this van in 2000 paid 54,000.

Since my David died 2/13 I have been on my own. My sons help with the yard and anything I ask them to do. I try to do the shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. and I've learned to not be so concerned with the little things. I truly could not be independent without my van.

Good luck and let us know what you get. Jeanie :)
    Last edited by Jeanie Z; 06-04-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typos

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

I own a 2005 dodge grand caravan/49k from VMI.
    City mileage is 15, highway is 25 mpg with conservative driving.

My dealer told me a 1-2 year old gently used, low mileage van would
    cost 48k with a new VMI conversion. My current van cost 48k nine years
    ago.

Even in a wheelchair I have never been required to take a driving test for license renewal.
    That is upstate NY.
    My current record is pristine.

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Renee I have a perfect driving record too and did at that time. When I went there in my scooter to renew my license he asked why I use a scooter and I said I have MS. Well he put that in the computer and I was not allowed to renew until I took the test and my doctor had to fill out a form and the state medical committee had to approve my being allowed to take the test. I wish I had said my left leg does not work right.

Then I had to take it every year and get the forms done, etc. I complained to the governor and reps and finally got them to change it to every other year. It is nerve wracking. You do not do each maneuver once like a new driver but 3 times. You are only alowed 31 points off and you fail. You have to take a licensed driver with you in case you fail as then you would get a learner's permit until you pass.

Last time I did the road test I did not use my turn signal doing the 3 point turn because it was a dead end street and nowhere to go but back where I came from. That is 5 points off. Because I have to do it 3 times it cost me 15 points. I passed but I will use the turn signals in a dead end from now on.

The trooper who gave me the last test said he did not believe he could have parked my big van in between the cones 3 times without touching one. Touching a cone would have been an automatic fail. I used to be the Palm Beach County Women's Division Director of the Safety Council and taught defensive driving courses. I have had to learn to accept that I am stuck with this as long as I want to drive. Jeanie :)

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Geez, Jeanie, that's horrible.

I bet they don't do that to all senior drivers in FL.
    Sounds more than a tad discriminatory when I think about the number
    of retirees down there and normal neurological
    changes that occur with aging.

I bet a different part of the state wouldn't have
    leaned on you like that.
    Wow.
    Last edited by renee; 06-04-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Nobody's business.

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Hi Jan,
    The van I had was a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country Limited with absolutely every bell and whistle imaginable plus a VMI conversion. The wealthy in Beverly Hills really know how to do it up right! I swear it did everything but take out the trash! It got 27 mpg. As I explained in my other post, it was a wonderful deal at $30,000 and even came with a new, very nice transport chair.
    Although I became unable to drive myself soon after acquiring the van, we kept it and only drove it whenever we went anywhere together. We sold it in 2011 with about 24,000 miles on it for $28,000.

Good luck in your quest to find a van.
    Joan

Distinguished Community Member

Jeanie that has to be the silliest thing I have ever heard. I don't tell thedmv anything and for the same reason. I have had a class a commercial license since I was 17 years old and though have to pay the fee every year 25.00 last time I just am no ready to give it up. Yeah I am not going to drive a truck either.

Since we have bought a 38 Ft motor home I have noticed that there are a lot of seniors driving 45 mph on the freeway in them. Funny that you have all these hoops to jump through to drive a truck but any one of any age can walk into a RV dealer and drive out in a rig that is as big as a school bus with no training and no special license. And we are worried about a person with a disability. On the back of both of my kids license it says TYPE ONE DIABETIC . Funny an employee in a correctional institution does not have the legal right to know which inmate has HIV or any communicable disease.
    Last edited by Gary; 06-05-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I can still walk...sort of...and I drive a PT Cruiser. I bought it new because it can be converted for the handicapped. There have been some very helpful, and hopeful replies to this post. Thanks guys!
    Roswell was a gift.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast