Thread: Anyone tested for Devics Disease?

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Question Anyone tested for Devics Disease?

Last week I had my yearly with my very current neuro-opthamalogist.

We discussed my MS symptoms and odd MS progression/near non progression over the last 17 years.
    I am a non classified MS'er.

We also discussed my history of problems with reading and other
    under the radar learning disabilities that involved vision since childhood.
    The MS neuros have never seemed very concerned with that early vague area.

Doc proposed getting tested for the antibody that is present in patients with Devics,
    which is similar to MS. Sure, why not! Knowledge is power.
    This test developed at the Mayo clinic is is only five years new.

I should know more in the next couple of weeks.
    Whatever happens I will continue to go to free pharma feeds.
    Shoot, they have made enough off my diagnosis for a lifetime of
    info and free feeds. Smiley here.

Experiences or knowledge of people with Devics?

Very appreciated.
    Thanks.

-R

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Sounds like MS of the eye to me. Would anything change for you?
    Treatments, prognosis? Do you have trouble being mobile, tingling,
    electric shocks...etc? How is Devic's different, to/for you?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No first-hand experience with Devic's but I've noticed that members of MS boards turn up with that possible alternate dx from time to time. It is rare, if that's any consolation, but it's so much like MS in a lot of ways that it must be hard to tell the difference sometimes.

I've noticed that there has been considerable research about it lately. You might want to check into the latest studies. For instance, the recent AAN conference included 51 presentations on the subject. Here's an abstract of one of them that might be of interest:

[S63.002] Differentiating NMO and MS-Associated Optic Neuritis by MRI

Maureen Mealy, Anna Whetstone, Peter Calabresi, Michael Levy
    Baltimore, MD, USA

OBJECTIVE:

To differentiate MRI characteristics of optic neuritis associated with neuromyelitis optica (NMO) and multiple sclerosis (MS).

BACKGROUND:

Optic neuritis is a common presenting feature of both neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis. Distinguishing between NMO and MS is important in guiding differing treatments, but biomarkers of NMO and MS can be absent early in the disease process. We looked for differences in MRI characteristics of optic neuritis associated with NMO and MS that may contribute to the diagnostic workup.

DESIGN/METHODS:

We conducted a retrospective analysis of 26 NMO and 26 MS patients presenting to the Johns Hopkins Hospital or Clinic with MRI-confirmed acute optic neuritis. MRIs were assessed to identify the location and longitudinal extent of each lesion. For the purposes of this study, the optic nerve was divided into retrobulbar, canicular, pre-chiasmal, chiasmal, and optic tract.

RESULTS:

There are distinct differences in MRI characteristics between NMO- and MS-associated optic neuritis. The majority of NMO lesions were longitudinally extensive involving at least two optic nerve segments (75%, versus 33% in MS, p=0.003) and 57% of NMO patients had lesions involving > 3 segments (versus 7% in MS: p=0.000), whereas MS lesions were more commonly focal in one optic nerve segment. NMO lesions were also more likely to be bilateral (25%, versus 0% in MS; p=0.010) and involve the optic chiasm (25%, versus 7% in MS; p=0.143) and tracts (18%, versus 4% in MS; p=0.193). Conversely, MS lesions were more likely to be localized anteriorly in the retrobulbar and/or canicular optic nerve (70%, versus 36% in NMO; p=0.015).

CONCLUSIONS:

Optic neuritis in NMO has a distinct pattern on MRI as compared with MS and can help differentiate these two neuroinflammatory diseases at presentation. Compared to MS, NMO lesions in the optic nerve involve the posterior optic nerves and are longitudinally extensive.

Category - MS and CNS Inflammatory Disease: Clinical Science

Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:30 PM

Glad you won't give up on the free feeds! After all, the drug companies are charging enough for their miracle drugs. Eat hearty!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I need to do some research on Devic's. I have had an odd course with my MS. ON was my first clue that made me go to a doctor. Several exacerbations in the very beginning, but then quiet.

I still walk and drive 15 years after my DX. Mowed the grass today. Vision and balance are my biggest problem, but it's been that way a long time and I'm used to it.

I see my Doc soon, and I will see about being tested.

Thanks Renee.