Thread: Survivor

Distinguished Community Member

Default Survivor

Three years ago today I was standing in my kitchen preparing our grandson's food blend for the day. Pain shot down both of my arms and I thought, "hmmm, that doesn't feel right", waited for a minute and it happened again. I went and sat down on the couch and waited for the pain to stop, but it didn't. I called my husband and told him to come home because I was having a heart attack. He yelled at me to call 911, but I had Tyler and wasn't going to leave him alone. Called 911 next, put the dogs in the back yard, unlocked and opened the front door and sat down to wait for the paramedics. They arrived at the same time as my husband, hooked me up to a 12 lead and got me ready to transport. They got lost in our neighborhood so I guided them out. We reached the freeway onramp, I heard the sirens start and blacked out. Respitory arrest. I am told they took me right to telemetry, did the angiogram thinking they would see heart damage, but instead saw my aorta had torn below the arch and above the heart valve. Eight hours of open heart surgery, two codes on the table, the second resulting in the surgeon reopening my chest and doing manual compressions on my heart to try and restart it, 24 minutes without oxygen to my brain, 7 units of blood and my family being told I had a 10% chance of survival, they wheeled me past them and they did not recognize me. Spent 8 days in a coma and awoke to a whole new world. I survived against all odds with my physical and mental faculties intact. The Lord was not done with me yet. Three years and I still have questions, blanks that are hard to fill in, the looks of fear I still see in my family's eyes from time to time, but I am alive. I am a survivor. Thank you Lord.
    grandmother of Tyler (24): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Wow! I am so glad you not only survived, but are doing well!! (((hugs)))

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Tamie)))))) ~

Yes, thank you, Lord, for the physicians, surgeons, nurses, therapists, and medical staff, who worked diligently to save your life, Tamie. Thank you, Lord, for the miracle of Tamie beating the 10% odds, so that she could be here 3 years later to tell us her harrowing story. Thank you, Lord, for hearing and answering our prayers for our dear friend, Tamie.

What you describe, Tamie, is so frightening. Did you have any previous symptoms to the arm pain? Any indications in the days or weeks before? Had you seen your doctor recently or had a check up? Did you have any idea that you had this condition waiting to happen?

How does one know whether they are at risk for a torn aorta? And to what is it attributed? Does it correlate to blood pressure? Cholesterol?

I ask, because I think about this happening to me or Jim on a regular basis. One minute we're okay, the next we're having a heart attack? And I know this is what happens to many folks, including elders in my family.

I know two younger folks, one in his 40s, the other, our dental hygienist, who was 57, who thought they had indigestion, but died in their sleep from a heart attack.

Is there some way for us to know whether we're at risk for a heart attack? I'm adding symptoms to my list now, with yours of pain down both of your arms. So scary.

Did you take Aspirin before the paramedics arrived? Would that have helped you in your situation?

I'm sorry that I have so many questions, but I feel like I need to know these things for me and Jim.

As you described your experience, I felt like I was there with you. What you went through is just incredible. And not leaving Tyler. Oh, Tamie, how I understand that! Bless you!

You ARE a Survivor! You have amazing courage and strength, and you have persevered during these past 3 years.

How is Tyler? Prayers continuing for his healing ~

God Bless Your Family ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Rose, check your PM.
    grandmother of Tyler (24): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Re-sent it Rose. Hopefully this time it went through.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Tamie)))))) ~

Yay! I got it! Now it's your turn to check your PM!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.