Thread: Can anyone help me understand this MRI?

Default Can anyone help me understand this MRI?

This language about "focal volume loss at this level" and "A demyelinating process cannot entirely be excluded." is causing concern. The referring doctor is a sports medicine doctor (I was on my bicycle and I was struck by a car in November- 2 CT scans showed cerebral edema) has said not to worry and that I only require another MRI in a year. It worries me that I should wait a year. It worries me he is not a neurologist.

Yikes: Can I do anything proactively to treat my condition? What type of doctor should I visit?

TECHNIQUE: A high resolution MRI scan of the brain was performed on a GE short bore whole body 3-Tesla Excite MRI system with an axial T1-weighted FLAIR sequence. In addition, after intravenous administration of Gadolinium (10 ml ProHance), axial and corona! T1-weighted SE sequences were obtained.
    COMPARISON: MRI of the brain without contrast dated April 24, 2014.
    FINDINGS: The previously identified focus of T2 and FLAIR signal hyperintensity in the periventricular white matter at the right parietal lobe does not enhance. There is focal volume loss at this level. Therefore, this is favored to represent an area of focal gliosis secondary to remote trauma. A post ischemic or inflammatory process is felt to be less likely. A demyelinating process cannot entirely be excluded. No other pathologic enhancement is observed throughout the brain. The gray / white matter differentiation is normal.
    IMPRESSION: The previously identified focus of T2 and FLAIR signal hyperintensity in the periventricular white matter at the right parietal lobe does not enhance. There is focal volume loss at this level. Therefore, this is favored to represent an area of focal gliosis secondary to remote trauma. A post ischemic or inflammatory process is felt to be less likely. A demyelinating process cannot entirely be excluded.

New Community Member

Basically it is saying that due to the accident, it appears that there is scar tissue & it is unlikely to be caused by other things. It says demyelinating process can't be eliminated because of the scar tissue obstructed the view.