Thread: foot drop techno help this one any good?

New Community Member

Default foot drop techno help this one any good?

Hi,

anyone ever tried one of this techno braces for foot drop?

Swede-O Step-Smart Foot Drop Brace
    it costs 200$ for each foot

http://www.medsupports.com/swedeo-st...formation.aspx

thank you for your answers

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi johanneDesR, and WELCOME!

I haven't tried the footbrace but I'm bumping up your thread so others will be more likely to see it.

It looks less clunky and bothersome than some footbrace devices I've seen.

You're thinking of getting one of these?
    Last edited by agate; 04-30-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

New Community Member

thank you for bumping up my post.

I have secondary progressive.

I'm looking into the different kind of braces available for foot drop. I can still slide my feet forward when I walk (about 175 steps a day).

I could only use a wheelchair during the day because I had intestinal problems and I could not walk fast enough. I finally found eating greens was the problem. Now I can use a walker more. I should get a roller walker today.This way it will force me to walk more around the house because I can sit down anytime.

I want to get something for foot drop to make walking easier. The price is more expensive than the stiff plastic model, so it is more of a gamble for me to take. This techno walker looks like it should help a lot. But then again, I might be too far advance for any kind of foot drop article in my case.

Thank you

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Hi,
    Several years ago there was discussion on this forum and several other forums, about dealing with the problem of foot drop. Quite a few people recommended something called a Foot Flexr. Foot Flexr is a training tool that helps to teach dorsi-flexion of the foot, but many with MS found this works for foot drop. It consists of a velcro cuff that attaches around your ankle and an elastic strap that attaches to the front of your athletic shoe (using a cable tie through the last set of shoe lace holes). The strap elastic stretches to allow you to extend the foot through normal walking, while bringing the toe back up. You can also adjust the level of resistance on the foot by tightening or loosening the elastic strap.

You can read about it here: http://www.speed-fitness.com/ffsecret.htm
    or you can just google Foot Flexr

Here is a discussion from years ago, about the Foot Flexr: http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...dex.php/t-9229

I was starting to have problems with foot drop at the time, so I purchased a pair of Foot Flexrs. Unfortunately, I also have problems with swelling feet and cannot wear athletic shoes, so could not use these. I still have these, unused, still in the package Foot Flexrs and would be happy to send them to you if you would like. Perhaps they can work for you and are doing no good here sittiing in the closet! Simply send me a private message with an address where you'd like them mailed to and I will send them off to you. ( in case you're not familiar with how to send a private message, there is a "Private Messages" tab at the top of this page.)
    Good luck,
    Joan

Joan

New Community Member

thank you. at about that time years ago I bought one of those foot flexr and even made one myself. They don't work for me. I'm to stiff.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've heard this one, WalkAide, mentioned often:

http://www.dropfootresourcekit.com/g...FQpgfgodRnIArg
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

foot Flexr at +/- $30 per pair is really a big help for early or mild to moderate foot drop. I have never run across the product you are asking about but $200/foot, not fitted by an orthotist seems to be to be an unwise expenditure. Gait and falls and equipment is nothing to fool around with and if something simple and inexpensive does not do the trick, I recommend a PT (physical therapist) and an orthotist (one who makes orthotics such as AFOs). Don't fool around or waste your money on mail order stuff that is costly and may not help.

Alberta Canada, with a Beatiful view of the Rockies

I use something called a "Walk Aid" it is an electric device that stimulates the nerve to lift your foot every time u lift your heel... It was developed in Alberta and is in trials... I have one, they are $5000. But I don't trip any more!!! :)
    Brain/Pit tumor=17 brain surgeries 20year csf leak(Feb, 1993) After initial tumor removal!, SPMS , Hydrocephalus from a intraventricular hemorrhage! Panhypopituitary, Diabetes Insipidus, tension pneumatocele, ( air under the skull next to the brain), 2 craniofacial craniotomies, several shunt revisions, 7 bifrontal craniotomies ... Dag "If I started crying I wouldn't stop!

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default I have a walkaide too..like Dagaz mentioned

They test your foot drop in seconds to see if the device will work for you.

There is a similar device made by Bioness but that device has a part that you have to hold in your hand whereas the walkaide is all in one device that you strap onto your leg.

I paid for mine upfront but was eventually reimbursed in full by my insurance.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"