Thread: new oldish guy

New Community Member

Default new oldish guy

My account has been dormant so long that I'm now a "new member". I'm not sure who takes the time to read these things, but hello.

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis back in December of 2002. It was terrifying. I spent a lot of time online trying to jam as much information into my head as I could handle. Lucky for me, I was only marginally employed 3-4 days a week as a relief worker for a human service agency right outside Boston. Some doctor at Salem Hospital's ER (lived in Salem then) was too blinded by his politics to really listen to the symptoms I was presenting, so it wasn't until I was at work in Chelsea one day & decided to stop by MGH's walk-in clinic that I got on the road to a diagnosis. They didn't care that I was uninsured.

A year later, I was married. And insured. And had a "real" job with the same company I had been at.

I fell into working in residential programs for people with MH issues after college and never really found a way out. I loved my lousy-paying job in Chelsea, but felt that I had to accept one with a better title at another place when it was offered. The pay was still crap and I spent days on end more isolated than I'd ever been, but at least I could put "manager" on my résumé. Stupid

Towards the end of my sentence there, my wife gave birth to two perfect twins. Boy and girl.
    I've been home with them since they were about 8 months old and days are fulfilling once again. But MS is starting to get in the way. That's why I'm back here again rather than digging through the web for free music and trouble.

So, again, hello. I hope I can hang in here long enough to learn more and maybe offer the kind of support I received way back when. My bookmark always took me straight to the MS forum, but I'm going to make an effort to broaden my horizons a bit this time around.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

welcome back to BT, mr. wumberlog ,

a lot of us read this forum, even though some don't answer.

i found BrainTalk as a chatroom when i joined the world of the "internet" back in 2000. i joined a wonderful group of people from all over the world to chat with about tourette syndrome, which is my dx'ed condition. it also took me a long time to get dx'ed with tourette, since back in the 60's it was thought to be such a rare disease. i read an article about tourette in the detroit free press and realized that's what i had. greatful to know i was not dying, i chose not to do anything about it, since there was no specific treatment and i wanted to have chldren and not have to worry about meds during my pregnancies. i did finally saw a neurologist at age 31, when i was done having children. i had also been experiencing panice attacks since age 19. so, i went on a quest for the cure of tourette syndrome. within a year, i found a benzodiazepine that worked for my severe panic attacks and kind of made me tic less. after trying maybe 20-25 other drugs, including antipsychotics, i was done with my search. i accepted i could live this way.

you did what you thought was best at the time. i have a philosophy of living every day as the only day of my life. i search for the happiness, strive to let go of the pain and help others who are having a harder journey than i am. yesterday is gone, i hope i've learned from it. tomorrow never comes, so i try not to worry about it. today is my day to live.

what a blessing children are! they also teach you the meaning of living for today. i'm sure every day you are with them is happy, even when your own issues get in the way.

i'm glad you found your way back to BT! i'm sure you will continue getting wonderful support in the MS forum. i hang out in the emotional support forum and the alzheimer's disease forum, as my mom is living with that.

i hope to see you around these forums in the future. i like your philosophy of giving back!

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Hi, wumberlog. I do remember your username. I don't frequent the Welcome. In fact before today I didn't know it existed (unless the knowledge was lost in one of the MS holes). I was checking to see if another forum still existed in some form.

6. The following user says "thanks"