Thread: Clearing out wax from the outer ear

Distinguished Community Member

Default Clearing out wax from the outer ear

it was bad after a cold or some pain was there-i put in olive oil then whiskey

am i nuts?

it seems to get 80% better

Clearing out wax from the outer ear is rarely required because the ear has a mechanism for pushing out older blobs of wax from the ear by movement of the jaw breaking up older layers of wax. This sometimes needs some help and since cerumen is mostly oily in nature, you need to use a solvent to dissolve the material. The best solvent that you can use to dissolve out oil is alcohol. You can use any alcohol, even from your bar, like vodka, whisky, or rum. Fill your ear with the alcohol and wait for a few minutes before draining it out. This may have to be repeated a few times. When you are done, stand under a jet of water for five minutes ensuring that the broken up wax is flushed out.

http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/home-rem...an-remove.html
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

after a cold was it an ear infection?
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey cloudsz,

ear wax that has built up can cause pain, too. like fig said, you can get ear infection after a cold. your sinuses or nose can be draining and some fluid can get in your ear and cause infection.

did you warm up the olive oil? not so it's hot, but warm. i never heard of the alcohol. i got a baby syringe from meijer for about 3 bucks. you can suck up warm water into it, then lean over the sink, put the tip of the syringe right at your ear opening and then squeeze the bulb fast so the water squirts into your ear. that would help to loosen earwax and then get it out. call a clinic first to see if they thought that was okay, though. maybe they can give you a better tip :)

i hope your ear feels better.

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

ear feels ok after a few doses of drops of whiskey

Hee hee!! I'll bet, especially if you DRANK the whiskey!!

Another vote for the wax removal kits. I couldn't hear right for two days, got one of those and a big blob of wax popped out. I personally used it. Just immediate relief.
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 09-13-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Selling and advertising links are against the Terms of Service.

i get wax about once a year-whiskey used every time-i dont bother with doctor on this-use about8 drops