Thread: Need suggestions.....

Community Member

Default Need suggestions.....

I am working with a man with autism who is profoundly retarded and non verbal. He tends to be violent and become assaultive when stimulated. Problem is this man may have been doing nothing for years, which is why he seems to be unable to handle anything. I am his new classroom teacher, he is about 35. His class prior to my arrival was incredibly noisy, to the point where I call it abuse. Three tv's playing different things and a stereo all very loud plus lots of screaming. He has spent most of his time sitting on a chair doing nothing.

When I get him out in the community he seems to be pretty good, but I can't always keep him out. I would like to find something I can do with him in the classroom. So far any paper, books or soft items I give him he immediately tries to eat. Anything I give him over stimulates him pretty much after a few seconds, so its been hard giving him anything at all. He is completely indifferent to the tv so movies are out.

He is doing better in that he has not been as assaultive since I took over, but I would really like to find something I can offer him to do. A fw weeks ago I tried making a bracelet with him, he liked it but after about a minute he threw the table at another client. So.. like I said I am looking for suggestions ideas.. etc. BTW I can not offer him any food, they have strict diets and we are not allowed to use food in any way in treatment.
    Keg
    Keggy

Crusty raisins are mighty potent
    ................................. Peglem

Please watch the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL8IJT0kQ-E
    Pure entertainment, not advertising or span.

Distinguished Community Member

Two things that may point you in the right direction are music of a suitable type (possibly soothing), and pictures of a suitable type (not too stimulating, not too calming.)

Community Member

Thanks for your suggestions.
    I have begun to play softer music on and off. This man was bombarded with loud music and loud noise for who knows how long.

Pictures would be nice if I could get them on very thick heavy wood, cause he puts everything in his mouth immediately and tries to eat it.
    Keggy

Crusty raisins are mighty potent
    ................................. Peglem

Please watch the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL8IJT0kQ-E
    Pure entertainment, not advertising or span.