Thread: ICP Monitoring

Question ICP Monitoring

Hello

I am new to this forum but not new to Hydrocephalus. I actually have two kids with vp shunts. My yougest who just turned 6 has been having severe headaches since Dec 20 some with nausea and vomiting. On MRI one ventricle has almost collapsed around the shunt but the other side looks normal. They tried to adjust her programmable shunt but headaches continue. They are not sure of pressure too low or too high . They mentioned the antisiphon device as something that they could use if too low. Now they want her to come to Hopkins on Thursday and have icp monitoring for a few days. Of course I am nervous for the procedure and upset to put her through something but hate for her to feel bad too. Has anyone gone through this?

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((spols7)))))) ~

Welcome to BrainTalk and to Child Neurology!

I'm so sorry that your daughter is experiencing continuing pain and discomfort. Unfortunately, I am not your best resource, as I have no experience with Hydrocephalus or shunts. But I am well experienced in giving support.

Johns Hopkins has an outstanding reputation, so I hope your daughter is receiving the very best medical care. Naturally, you are nervous and worried about the procedure. I pray that all goes smoothly with positive results.

I searched our old Hydrocephalus forum archives for ICP Monitoring and found these posts. Perhaps something among them will be helpful to you.

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...archid=4249813

Please update us after your daughter's monitoring. Thinking of you and sending strengthening and healing energy to you and both of your children.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.