Thread: Dear friend HydroHugger has passed away

Hybrid View

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default Dear friend HydroHugger has passed away

I am always on Child Neurology, but I know that HydroHugger, or Darlene Sweetman as she was also known, tragically passed away this past week. She was a friend to all and was a wonderful poet. I am sorry to be the bearer of this sad news. For those who knew and loved Dar here on these boards, there is an opportunity to contribute to her funeral. The link is posted on the Child Neurology forum. Of course, no obligation, but I wanted you to know in case she was a special friend to anyone here. There is a lovely obituary posted on the link as well. You may post your messages of condolences there too.
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

HydroHugger's Obituary

My mother was a wonderful person. She gave hope, prayers and love to everyone she could.

Many might wonder how she passed, and it was as sudden and unexpected as some of the winter storms we have seen this year, and just as brutal on those left behind.

My mother was support for those with Hydro and battled it for many years. She went much longer than anyone expected she would after her last surgery. Even her passing was not caused by the condition she lived with daily and used as a source of inspiration.

She contracted a bacterial infection sometime last week, by monday she had signs of it, but it seemed more like the flu my father had a month earlier. She did not want to bring pain financially and refused to see a doctor. By tuesday she was beginning to swell in her face, neck and shoulders. We argued over her going to the hospital all day, but she would not go for fear of bringing disaster. She was trying to think of everyone but herself. Wednesday morning my dad found her having trouble breathing and unable to move without such severe pain that she couldn't even reach the bathroom.

He refused her pleas to stay home and took her to Cleveland metrohealth. She was coherant till around noon when they induced coma. By 4pm she was no longer concious and they still had no idea where it started nor how she had become infected. Because they couldn't find the source they were unable to effectively treat her.

Midnight of 1/23/2014 my mother passed away. I never got to apologize for the argument I had the night before with her over going to the hospital. I never got to say goodbye. Now all I have left to try and display my sorrow and regret is to ask others to help give her a proper burial near her home in Warren, Ohio.

I know she had more friends on facebook than she could count, and we are thankful for all the prayers. If you wish to contact the family we are on facebook as well.

Bethany 'Iason' MacIsaac

Charles Sweetman

Elisa cristenson

I pray we can raise enough for the funeral here, as my six year old son, her most beloved "grand prize of 2007", has said "It may be a long time, but we will see her again one day."
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

3. The following 2 users say "thanks"

New Community Member

This is terrible news. I haven't been my this born in years but remember your mother very well.
    Sounds like she had a infection in her spinal fluid.
    All I'll say about that is that it is miserable.
    Sorry for your loss.
    George